Hot sauces & anything spicy.

the "unknown chili" is now red.
a very hot family, and large.

View attachment 1265982

greetings
Martin
They look like either cayennes or arbol chiles, both of which I grow every year. I like to chop them up fine and put them in my salads for an extra kick. They're hot, but not painfully so; they're somewhere between a Jalepeño and a habañero.

This is my go-to hot sauce when I want to add a little more heat and flavor to my tacos or chili. Don't let the pretty green color fool you, it's hot. I've been using this stuff since the 70s.
:thumbsup:Good Stuff! I picked some up when I needed a sauce with more heat and this is it!
It's a bit lumpier than stuff like Frank's, Cholula, Tobasco, Tapatio, etc.
Wife picked up a bottle of the Mayan Recipe XXXtra hot (middle bottle) and that's even better.
s-l1600.jpg
Lots of flavor. I actually wish it had less heat so I could use more, though honestly to me it tastes a bit milder than the green stuff.:dunno:
Now I'm on the lookout for the smokey Black Label and the sweeter Caribbean.

BTW, Sweet Baby Ray's makes a really good one too.

Last edited:
I used to keep my hot sauces in the fridge for convenience. I've been trying so many different kinds that I've run out of room.
I notice none of them say " refrigerate after opening" and Cholula is the only one so far with a "best used by" date, good for another year, and believe me it won't be hangin' around that long!
Probably my imagination but they seem to get better sitting out in warm air.
Any one ever have a hot sauce go bad and if so how long did it take and did it spoil or just loose flavor?

I used to keep my hot sauces in the fridge for convenience. I've been trying so many different kinds that I've run out of room.
I notice none of them say " refrigerate after opening" and Cholula is the only one so far with a "best used by" date, good for another year, and believe me it won't be hangin' around that long!
Probably my imagination but they seem to get better sitting out in warm air.
Any one ever have a hot sauce go bad and if so how long did it take and did it spoil or just loose flavor?
I've never had any go bad on me, but they will change color when getting old. I also make sure the hot sauces I use has a base of vinegar. I like the flavor and it will last longer. The vinegar and salt assures that. Most, not all Mexican hot sauce uses a water base. I stay away from water based sauce.

I've never had any go bad on me, but they will change color when getting old. I also make sure the hot sauces I use has a base of vinegar. I like the flavor and it will last longer. The vinegar and salt assures that. Most, not all Mexican hot sauce uses a water base. I stay away from water based sauce.
The El Yucateco has no vinegar but it does have acetic and citric acid plus sodium benzoate which (hopefully) should keep it from going bad.
BTW, I do remember tossing a bottle of hot sauce that developed a very odd color, but I didn't give it the taste test.

I'm sure it can go bad over time. But I don't think I give it that much time. Keep the sauce out of the sun. Direct light will turn the color very fast.

The El Yucateco has no vinegar but it does have acetic and citric acid plus sodium benzoate which (hopefully) should keep it from going bad.
BTW, I do remember tossing a bottle of hot sauce that developed a very odd color, but I didn't give it the taste test.

The acetic acid is white vinegar...... the only thing in question is the concentraion.

This is quite good.
Todd Wilbur's Hell Flakes
Hell Flakes.jpg
As are these:
spices-combo-pack_1.jpg
The chicken seasoning also works nicely with pork.

My Vietnamese wife just made a batch of hot sauce out of Ghost Peppers. Couldn’t get in the kitchen to take a picture because I didn’t have a gas mask. This stuff will peel paint off walls.

My Vietnamese wife just made a batch of hot sauce out of Ghost Peppers. Couldn’t get in the kitchen to take a picture because I didn’t have a gas mask. This stuff will peel paint off walls.
Sriracha DOES take paint off of stuff. I got a few drops on the overhead fan above the stove and within about 20 minutes when I caught it and wiped it off, it DID remove the paint!!!

Sriracha DOES take paint off of stuff. I got a few drops on the overhead fan above the stove and within about 20 minutes when I caught it and wiped it off, it DID remove the paint!!!
This stuff makes Siracha taste like candy. I really had a hard time breathing when we put it into the jars. And my wife loves it.

IMG_1013.JPG

Bottled up my first 5 liter barrel today. Got 33 bottles. That's the first case. Hard to believe I put this up 3 months ago. I have 1 more 5 liter barrel coming off Dec 27th and in a few days I will be processing a 2 liter barrel. It won't come off till Jan. sometime. I will be done till next year. Now to clean up this messy kitchen.

Bought a bottle of this over the weekend, not that hot but good stuff.
1384839237924.jpg

About 20 years ago a retired Basketball player in DC made his own sauce. Jim Barnes "BAD NEWS" sauce had wonderful flavor, but wasn't hot. It had the same character as the BBQ sauce served in the local best BBQ place in Virginia - Dixie Pig. Dixie Pigs sauce was very hot, and you put in on your sandwich with a pop sickle stick. Sadly, Mr. Barnes passed, and his recipe went too.

Back
Top Bottom