How about some back yard nature pictures?

Three magpies in the apple tree on the left of the conifer where the raven couple is nesting. Could not get closer. Click to enlarge. The ravens and the magpies were attacking each other some minutes ago, don't know why. Probably territorial behaviour.

005.JPG

Last edited:
A soggy day. Click image to enlarge.

wuhmY1VWrdEJv5SaX0yOB4pcf0ZnB5bR-rAk0Pt3AF5K_YZJDZKYqrhYvgf9DEI1cuziv58OwwZcTEvQ-YABgRJNxs4vJXNXekQ3ibcdiJ2vXTezwh-ZD5P0D6qa7-g_jJn52h5zVFP1WciC-f-Wsn8wMuhLXm4BA6CeWIcu206En6T6y-fqsrwVb_lFlw9jFXSuhU70RUu8nU3dt3yuxKbWqYnljUM5BP8hw4SKToGPZWz2dm1zNGySAp9_yXZ5r01odHnYrglgakzcy3bi7pLKbqCpHaLoRELWXxVQzTNiBnwwF0Kr-UXMoSOVLbpNnZcUNxKt-UXR0fdVt9qDb0lMy-LrUveoloJdLA7P7p2JOR7jSzTDuWQYICmgsVTMaknP1sx9hFto7h7K-w7VFETerbBW5PQkaTx8vO0ksIUvuXejWEa4kxbPBiCyNUKhg0tg9pQ8ZMqp-McEx_ZiL2NHtko-ZInfghxuAi_ZpswdT6STPdZ-NZZSxrWZMFzffp2Cw2w2dznCKAu8g-OFi6WHuYilgAmEeuJRT3Aov4X9_uHrcQ1uioyzjUFGi215CTu67gcIf0th-3JyhbLgobj0NiuSxpCFfqAyF_QfXwe5KfnQzD7ttEbu89WtCrzJiYvsnqUOIWCb9g2rNfaOMwkBrHLOXFo=w2762-h1844-no

@HarmanKardon Kris
As a kid, i was in Beaver Utah for the summer, at my grandparents. There is an old pioneer canal that runs off of the river there, and it had naturalized into a stream with wild trout in it. It flowed along a stetch of the towns graveyard. It was deeply overgrown with trees and rather forboding looking. I'd fished along the streamside fence many many times, but never gone in.
Then one day, I decided to go on in for a look around. After a while, I found the oldest section, where the original pioneers to the area had been buried. There were some of the most beautiful carved headstones in there. And then I started seeing the dates, realizing that some of the people had been born in the later part of the 1700's.
Now, to a European, that marks a recent event... but to a kid raised in the west, I'd never been around anything that old, and it impacted me. I spent the rest of the day just looking at names and dates, and, appreciating the stonework that I was seeing.
I would have kept that marker as well.

it never is.
I've seen our local Sage Rats (the ground squirrels here are marmots, not squirrels) sit and relax in the sun, while our largest hawk, the RedTail Hawks, sit in the trees directly above them. I'd love to see them drop down and nail one. But, the rodents don't seem to care much about the hawks, and just lie around in the sun.

Last edited:
it never is.
I've seen our local Sage Rats (ground squirrels - marmots, not squirrels) sit and relax in the sun, while our largest hawk, the RedTail Hawks, sit in the trees directly above them. I'd love to see them drop down and nail one. But, the rodents don't seem to care much about the hawks, and just lie around in the sun.

I've never seen any hawks nab squirrels from our back yard either. Pigeons, though, need to keep a eye to the sky.

-Dave

I live in central Texas, I was standing on my back porch when I took this pic.
f12lOPr.jpg

That's a loquat tree I grew from a seed, I have several more on my lot, really like those.
282sX6L.jpg

My hillbilly fish pond, ha!
2uJWUKp.jpg

Some native cactus ...cacti, ..whatever.
9KTZB6k.jpg

vufnOgM.jpg

WVcdZOi.jpg

azCBfru.jpg

Mountain Laurels, I grew those from seed also, pretty big now.
uBmw72N.jpg

A sad peach tree. Contrary to some, I do not like the deer. Oh sure, I like to eat them but I don't like them in my yard eating everything, I'm a real good shot with my BB gun. They are super destructive to plants especially young trees. You have to cage almost everything around here, but not Cycas plants(next)
md9dOmN.jpg

This is what people call a "Sago palm". What some don't know is they aren't even related to the palm tree family, other than being a plant. There are seveal species in the genus. They are more closely related to pine trees. This one isn't the typical "sago", it is a cycas taitungensis. I think I have about 15 of these, I plan to dig all of them up and take them with me when I move.
HXRYKeS.jpg

A tarantula home, I like bug stuff!
yRW6pED.jpg

Here is my rock pile, I moved them all by hand, and my truck. The second pic are rocks I shot out my wiener over the years:mad::thumbsdown:. I can't decide which was worse:idea:
PMrcSCe.jpg

nc5VFBw.jpg

Last edited:
Last night I set a "live trap" to try and catch a bothersome possum living in my attic.
This morning I found the cage filled with a very irate raccoon the size of a pit bull.
I was dreading the release.
I went in the house to retrieve my camera to take a pic but when I came back out I found the coon gone as he had lifted the rear gate and escaped.
WHEW!
Perhaps we'll meet again, this time with the rear gate locked down.

636651005499960011-stock-raccoon.jpg

I live in central Texas, I was standing on my back porch when I took this pic.
f12lOPr.jpg

That's a loquat tree I grew from a seed, I have several more on my lot, really like those.
282sX6L.jpg

My hillbilly fish pond, ha!
2uJWUKp.jpg

Some native cactus ...cacti, ..whatever.
9KTZB6k.jpg

vufnOgM.jpg

WVcdZOi.jpg

azCBfru.jpg

Mountain Laurels, I grew those from seed also, pretty big now.
uBmw72N.jpg

A sad peach tree. Contrary to some, I do not like the deer. Oh sure, I like to eat them but I don't like them in my yard eating everything, I'm a real good shot with my BB gun. They are super destructive to plants especially young trees. You have to cage almost everything around here, but not Cycas plants(next)
md9dOmN.jpg

This is what people call a "Sago palm". What some don't know is they aren't even related to the palm tree family, other than being a plant. There are seveal species in the genus. They are more closely related to pine trees. This one isn't the typical "sago", it is a cycas taitungensis. I think I have about 15 of these, I plan to dig all of them up and take them with me when I move.
HXRYKeS.jpg

A tarantula home, I like bug stuff!
yRW6pED.jpg

Here is my rock pile, I moved them all by hand, and my truck. The second pic are rocks I shot out my wiener over the years:mad::thumbsdown:. I can't decide which was worse:idea:
PMrcSCe.jpg

nc5VFBw.jpg
"The second pic are rocks I shot out my wiener over the years:mad:"
:rflmao:

Wow what a shot to get!

Are neighbor has plenty of squirrels that like to venture and hang out in our backyard and patio. I've seen a few hawks (and others, vultures, Mexican eagles, etc.) out flying around our area but have yet to see anything like these pictures that you've posted.

One mid morning while sipping on a cup of coffee at our kitchen table I remember seeing a common site of three squirrels messing around in our patio, which I really didn't give it much thought but then a few minutes later a loud crackling and chirping sounds are coming from our patio and I look out the window and low and behold a hawk flew in and was trying to capture one of those pesky squirrels and from what I could make out, one of them I believe was under my cook out grill covering and that hawk as fluttering it's wings and moving around it trying to snag it, afterwards it just flew off, without any lunch.

Later that afternoon, while out in my backyard there was a hawk perched on top of a telephone pole in my neighbors house that is used for a security light and it was just scoping out the scene, waiting.

Living out in the country side you see a lot of wild animals and nature's life.

Everyone has to eat... Not a good day to be a squirrel.

View attachment 1456696

View attachment 1456697

Last edited:
Had a nice afternoon yesterday, temps got to 65 degrees - so we sat by the pond and watched the now thawed goldfish playing ...

Not for koi, but its a small pond (17' x17' - 11 inches deep) and a lot less maintenance! (this is just a corner of the pond)

ManyFishes_8668.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom