How and where do you guys store your gear vintage or not

grumpy

Krusty old SOB! Yes, I own Audiokarma
Staff member
Admin
Sponsor
Subscriber
I want my house back. Right now I have gear Everywhere. As much as I didnt want to I had to resort to shelves in the garage. With all this heat and humidity I have stored them in Plastic bags but does this help. I have to get a storage unit and am wondering if I will do any harm subjecting the stuff to the Heat and cold of storage units. I cant be the only one with this Problem. So lets hear how you guys store it.

Dave

Grumpy, as I alluded to in my other post, the secret to domestic order is discipline. That means I set a limit for my self which if I cross means something goes to ebay...For me it's:

Receivers: 5 only. I count separates are one receiver. If I get another then the least good one goes to the Bay. With this system I'll eventually end up with all 5 being cherry TOTL units.

Speakers: 6 pairs. 5 to play the rcievers and one to compare to the other 5. If I find a better pair of speakers the worst ones go to ebay. Right now I'm selling Bose 501's. No surprise, huh?

Cassettes: 2 decks. I don't particularly like cassettes so I just have one on the main system and one on my better secondary system. Same as other components. Worst goes to ebay.

TT's: 2 good ones. Same system as with cassettes.

CD Players: Again just 2 although I may fudge here on occasion. They are so cheap and somewhat small that having an extra doesn't hurt too much....

EQ's etc....none, don't like 'em.

I'm not trying to collect anything, just have all the good sound I want and with the good stuff that comes through here will get a fair understanding of the merits and lack thereof of differet brands of gear. I anticipate that in 10 years I'll have alot of very collectable, terrific sounding TOTL gear and the experience to be very discerning if it ever comes to replacing any of it.

Hope I've helped...Jay

Ah, now I see the library of VHS cassettes that you're busy converting to highlights DVD's.

That could take you the rest of your life you realise!

:D

I have to agree with jays process of home order. Sell it don't hourde it.

I thought the reason you were acquiring all this gear was for resale on ebay because you're not 9 to 5'ing it anymore ...not to fill your house or a $100/month storage locker. :confused:

Grump in my opinion you have to STOP buying and START selling. Especially, those damn space hogging, biatch to pack & ship speakers.

Sure, pick up the TOTL pieces when you come across them but other than that leave it. Will power man

Thoots -

Are those Pioneer VSX-9000's? I have a 9300, puts out very good power but nothing like a good vintage receiver

I store mine in my music room closet, (although the wife would prefer I didn't.)

Most of the stuff is from the 80's & Sony brand. I have a couple high-end 3 head cassette decks, one of their higher end amps & a few other things I'm sure.

Most needs a little work. If anyone's interested in taking some of this stuff off of my hands at a downright resonable price... Just let me know. My wife will love you for it! :smlove:

mOOn

AH...The madness..LOVE IT!

This 'madness' we seem to have amongst us all collecting vintage/modern hifi... Why do we do it?? :dunno:

Is it some sort of obession we have or maybe some of us are making up for our deprived childhoods by buying oddles of stuff to make up for the things we were not allowed as children, or do we collect the stuff to try and preserve the past of the just for the sheer hell of it!!?? :D :D LOL!

I'm in the same boat, I have a small HIFI stack myself, and thats the stuff thats on display, the rest tucked away in corners, under the bed hidden away in closets etc..etc.. Madness.........:)

My hifi stack....

Pioneer QX8000A
Sansui 2000A
Pioneer SA9100
Sansui AU9900
Sansui AU505
Sansui AU101
Sansui QRX3000
Sansui QRX5500
Sansui 350A
Pioneer CTF1000
Pioneer RT909
Teac X10R
Akai GX365
+ more I don't dare go looking for....

So theres a bit of my madness.....

Keep up the good work (and collecting) guys!

Cheers Glen :p:

Thoots-

Do you listen in just stereo on the Pioneers or do you have them in a Home Theater? Did you use a amp for the center channel on the 9300? And if so, what?

When it comes to headroom, I know what you mean. My home theater is based around a Pioneer Elite 27TX. I have had that so loud and not once clipped or shutdown even in the most intense scenes. TOTL is where its at.

greg

I did have a storage unit built behind my house, but not for gear. I store everything else out there and keep my gear in the house or garage. Just trying to keep them in some sense of evnironmental control. So, there are units in the garage in cabinets and stacked on cabinets. There are units in a bedroom I converted to my audio lab. There are units in a double side by side cabinet in the den and units in the hall closet. This does not take into account all the gear that is used in active systems in most rooms of the house.

garagesm.jpg
garagepiecessm.jpg

the garage

the side of the Home Theater you don't see is storage
tapestoragesm.jpg
aiwa.jpg

an old Aiwa stack system in an old closet

Hey ward you must have some spare power amps, and a pre to be selling?? When I get working I will be looking for two 200+wpc amps and one 100wpc amp and a preamp to run them all.

Originally posted by thoots
Guys,

Apologies for the repeated posts -- after waiting about five minutes, I cancelled and tried, tried again -- twice. Finally, it looks like all three made it through.... :rolleyes:

you can delete each post by going into the edit mode and at the top left check the delete box and then on the right side click delete. ;)

This is one of my "rack" systems.
(in the garage)

This was taken just before the clean up started last week end.

Can anyone identify anything? Actually sold a couple of these already.

Last edited:
Holy Big Knobs, Batman! :eek:
Of course, I don't see any G-20000's :p:
Soon,soon,soon.dang,dang,dang, guys quitting,projects going nutty, suppliers not supplying, ugh, and it all screws up my audio bliss. And self-employment is supposed to be the American Dream, nope, me sitting with a big jug of screw top wine and my G-20000 going full bore, yep that's my American Dream. :D
I did call the guy about it today and told him I was still interested, and he thought that interested meant not really wanting it, I most definetly assured him I would be there to pick it up in a few weeks. How could I not want it, it is my American/Japanese Dream:cool:
Oh, I showed my wife the picture and told her that that was what I wanted to start doing. Needless to say, she just rolled her eyes:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ah yes weed-hopper... Many Marantz, but I believe no 9090DB stuck in there. I do spy what seems to be a TOTL Pioneer Cassette deck though. How much you want for dat amigo?

Nice collection Shain. ;)
mOOn

This is only one rack, another has turntables, amps, tuners, more recievers!! Another more receivers

The two pieces in the middle with rack handles, are Rotel 2000 series pre amp and amp (120 wpc). Have the 2000 series equalizer too.
Really nice looking stuff!

The one that looks like a Sansui is probably the Pioneer SX1010

Sold the 1030 that one of you guys picked out, and a 2245, and 2230 that are pictured.

The Pioneer cassette deck (CRT-1000 ?) is going in my family room set up. Right below it is a Pioneer RT707 reel to reel, which is also going with the cassette deck.

Yea, lots of Marantz. 2385, a few 2275's, 2325, 2265B, 2230 (3),
1070, 2015, 2270, 2220b, 2238B, 4270, etc
Some are done, some are in repair stages, waiting for parts in some cases. Most go on the auction block, ot sold locally.

A few will go into my own systems, or at work I'm always changing the receiver, or what ever. Now using a Marantz 110 tuner, and 1070 intg amp.

Have friday off, will try to get several done and SELL, SELL, SELL !!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom