How big are the woofers in your main system?

HOW BIG ARE THE WOOFERS IN YOUR MAIN SYSTEM?

• 4" or less

Votes: 4 0.5%
  • 6" or less

Votes: 49 6.2%
  • 8" or less

Votes: 115 14.5%
  • 10" or less

Votes: 127 16.0%
  • 12" or less

Votes: 219 27.6%
  • 15" or less

Votes: 242 30.5%
  • 18" or less

Votes: 38 4.8%

• Total voters
hell yea!! big is winning!

btw how can you calculate cubic inches of cone area? so i can add it up :D

Square inches use Area = Pi x radius squared. Radius = half the diameter.

So my 4 x 18" JBLs = approx 1018 sq in or 7.07 sq ft. But that's not the whole story; cabinet volume is important. Well-braced cabinets totaling 48 cu. ft. containing those 4 x 18s might be preferable to 16 15"s in 32 cu. ft.

I like tight bass. I had big sloppy bass when I was a young man.
15" Ev in VOT cabinets.

The ESLs have an 8" woofer and I have a sub, also from MartinLogan with an 8" dedicated sub woofer and amp.
I have another sub coming...a T2 REL.......8" active and 10" passive......we'll see.

I choose 12" for my subs, There should be,a category for 6" by 9":

Attachments

• polk3-1.jpg
    polk3-1.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 1
4x 6" x 9" Woofers in the Polk LSIM 707'S
polk3-1.jpg
2x 300mm active woofers in each Sunfire True Subwoofer Signature
2x 300mm Passive Radiator in each Sunfire True Subwoofer Signature
Sunfire True Subwoofer Signature 1.gif

Just one part of the system....

Sure larger woofers give a fuller lifelike sound if the rest of the system is up for the task !

upload_2016-11-29_19-54-14.png

2 x 5.5" woofers here. I Don't know how they do it, But those two small woofers give up very little to the 15" in my Mach Ones. Most of the time the overall bass is better. Tighter, more balanced, and so plentiful, In anything less than a large room, The port plugs stay in for music. I pull them out for movies, and it sounds and feels like a good sub is active.

Understand these are the smallest of the 3 towers in the series. The largest ones, With just 2 x 6.5" woofers produce bass at concert level SPL's second to none in a large rec room.

Hey max. Got to love those HPM 100's in your post #149. When I was young, A friend had them powered with the matching Pioneer SX737 receiver. Although it had only 35 wpc, this combo sounded as good as it looked. I loved the bass from those too.

View attachment 827008

Hey max. Got to love those HPM 100's in your post #149. When I was young, A friend had them powered with the matching Pioneer SX737 receiver. Although it had only 35 wpc, this combo sounded as good as it looked. I loved the bass from those too.
Yep....a lot of skeptics say "Meh !" about HPMs, but I have no complaints. I`ve pushed them pretty hard with both my SX-1250 and Carver M-500t, and they never exhibit any signs of distortion, they just get LOUDER....
I think Bart Locanthi knew what he was doing....

15" mains, 12" backup (E-712')

Too big to get in one pic, you will notice the bullet horn tweeters are no longer. The CV HED series soft dome tweeters make these sound like they should have from the start

dpP9qK2.jpg

Last edited:
In my main 2.3-channel setup:

12" KLH 9250B (x2)(as pictured in my avatar)
12" Velodyne VRP1200 powered subwoofer (x2)
12" Sony SA-WM500 powered subwoofer

That's five twelves in all, thus making me somewhat of an addict of 12-inch woofers :).

Back
Top Bottom