how did you get your mac gear

MC240 and MX110z showed up in Craigslist which I track a few times a day for turntables mainly and whatever else I see. Only local stuff in the Santa Cruz, CA area. I am pretty flexible in my work hours at the office and mount up right away usually if I see something and the seller wants to sell to first person who shows up.

Anyway, on this particular day I saw these units show up within 2 hours of the post and they did not have a price. Guy was cleaning out a house for a friend and his wife everything had to go. I called him and he said some folks had called to say they would be happy to pick them up for free. I offered him $200 USD on the phone. He asked whether I would pay $300 and I said "deal, I'll be right there". 20 minutes later I picked them up. He was an honorable guy and said both previous callers had called back and tried to outbid me but he stood by our agreement. It was all good, they were in physically poor shape. The MX110 after at least 6 hours of meticulous work is looking pretty good, the MC240 is a rat on the outside but has mostly original components on the inside. I am really enjoying the masochistic project of making sure they run correctly.

I got a MC2500,a Marantz 7c and a pair of Wilson Watt puppies from my aunt for free and a MC2200 amp and mac tuner-av preamp from craigslist for $1100.

An old lady in my building was upgrading her old Macs to newer Macs. She'd seen me carrying a tube amp in the elevator once, so she left a note on my door asking if I wanted to buy hers. I did. :)

Sold my Marantz system to cover the cost.

I don't have quite the impressive Mcintosh collection that others here have, but I have a few pieces myself. Both me and my wife take the bus to work, we don't eat out, and only take one week a year vacation. I got most of my items on EBay. If you are bidding on EBay be smart. Know what something is worth to you and don't be afraid to walk away if the bidding is more than you want to pay. It'll come around again. This hobby is obtainable for working class folks like us. Don't get discouraged, take it slow and keep focuses on what you really want.
Frank

This seems like as good a place as any for my first post... And it will be long, so I apologize in advance.

I was music fanatic growing up and in to my early 20's then i started focusing on work and women and eventually had a kid (now 5) and settled down. During the years between I spent most of my free capital on firearms. Up to this point all I had was a hand me down Yamaha surround system and receiver and CD player. Maybe 20 records from my days working at a record store when I was 18 and 400 or so cd's that I really only listened to in the car.

Here's where it gets interesting...

A little over a year ago, knowing my affinity for history and all things mechanical, my father in law shows up with a Brunswick tabletop phonograph circa 1920's. I was immediately intrigued and after a little work got it up and "running". I had two terrible 78's to test it out so naturally I set out to find more, I paid way to much on EBay for 20 or so here and there, of which only 10 or 12 arrived intact. Then I stumbled into two large lots about a week apart for pennies a record. Tons and tons of early jazz and blues, living in Kansas City, this is more common than you would think. Anyway, my arms soon grew tired of cranking to play a record and my patience thinned with replacing needles constantly so I set out to build a modern system for 78's.

I started with my dad's old Yamaha receiver, a Stanton 120c TT and BSR graphic equalizer to reverse the RIAA curve as best as I could. I purpose built a few carts to play different labels and I was off.....

....and then I realized I could play my old vinyl with the DJ cart that came used with the table. This was about 10 months ago.... I now have 2200+ LP's and 600+ 78's, as well as assorted 10"ers and 45's.

Then about 3 months ago I started to finally "hear" my system thanks to some new headphones and some cheap bose 601's I stumbled into. I immediately decided I wanted better.

I started with a better cart for the turntable and then I posted a wanted ad on a local facebook swap and shop page, and met a guy with a Mac. At the time I knew nothing about them and one google search told me it was out of my price range so I declined. Then he asked if I had anything to trade.... Maybe something that goes boom? Why yes, yes I do.

As it turned out the unit was out being serviced at the time, so a few weeks later when it arrived a deal was struck and I was the proud new owner of a MAC1700.

Now that my head is effectively out of my ass and I've realized that I do have resources I am on the hunt for better gear. The next thing I want are two sets of nice speakers, a floor set and bookshelf set, and a new TT.

I am really having a hard time on the speakers, I do a lot of low volume listening and want a set that will pair well with the mac if anyone has any suggestions in the $1k range per set PLEASE let me know.

I only have one piece, a C28. Honestly never lusted for McIntosh, for whatever reason. Had been running a Musical Fidelity A3cr preamp for quite a while, very happy with it except that I have mild inner-ear issues on one side, and my hearing balance changes from day to day (especially during allergy season). Not huge changes, but enough that I kept wishing I had a pre with a balance control and maybe even tone controls.

My tech, who at this point is also a friend, had a very clean C28 on consignment in his shop for $500. He let me take it home for a weekend. As soon as I'd inserted it into my main system, I knew I had to have it.

Was able to pass along a good deal on the Musical Fidelity pre here on BarterTown, and keep the karma going. Basically this preamp swap ended up costing me nothing.

Listening to the Mc now as I write this, feel like it'll me with me for a long time to come.

I was looking through the want ads in the Toronto Star, and under electronics saw used amps, several to pick from listed. The guy came to my apartment to audition a pair of mono tube MC30. So I paid him $550 and he kicked in a RCA cable.
That was 1982.
In 2012 I found a C22 in Kijiji , listed in mid summer when everyone is on vacation. I drove to Parry Sound, and that was $2K but that's inflation / demand, and it is cherry condition.
Really what started me was a store called High Fidelity, in North York, right on Yonge. They had used Mac gear, and a good selection of tubed receivers, pre amps and amps. No one wanted them, but I thought them so cool, but couldn't afford them then. But my appreciation grew, I hunted patiently, and the C22 was like finding the holy grail.

2 from ebay 1 from audiogon and 4 from audio Classics. I am not a surgeon or a plumber can't affor new

I've bought MC2205 and C28 more then 15years ago while still single... MR74 followed few years after after waiting for a deal on eBay.
Some 4 years ago I ended up buying MR71 locally (CL - my first MC tube unit) from a guy Mac owner) who inherited it from his day 10y before and never used it. Test revealed issues so I got a great deal and it turned to be swapped tubes. I recapped it and gave it for alignment, it sounds glorious listening blues on KPLU at the moment.

More tubes: spring last year I spent in STL area on business and stumbled on pair of MC60's. These needed rebuilt... I never buy stuff impulsively, often go back and sometimes miss on things that way (like '58 Porsche 356) but these I've got!
It was not insignificant money but after restoring them and selling UTC transformers these came with, I've definitely "made $", not that I'll sell them soon. These sound glorious listening blues on KPLU at the moment. :banana:

Owning McIntosh is a great audio journey to me and I recommend it to every music enthusiast.

Back
Top Bottom