How do I solder this up?

iplagolf

This is an extension of a thread I posted about smaller RCA male plugs for vintage tube gear. I got these from Digikey but don't have a clue as how to solder them up to an existing inter-connect. Sorry about the poor quality picture. Thank you in advance. Fritz

Attachments

• DSCF3301.JPG
    DSCF3301.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 168
Depends a bit on the type of cable. But, if it is a coaxial-style cable, then the core/center conductor goes up the center and solders at the tip. The shield solders right to the outer shell.

Insert center conductor into center pin. Sweat solder into center pin to secure the center conductor. Fray back your shield/ground and solder to the outer shell. Not pretty but gets the job done.

That was my thought, but there is no solder points. I'll do it and cover the grounds with shrink wrap to isolate them.

Are you sure the shield part doesn't unscrew from the center pin section. Sometimes its tricksy, my preciousss.

This is an extension of a thread I posted about smaller RCA male plugs for vintage tube gear. I got these from Digikey but don't have a clue as how to solder them up to an existing inter-connect. Sorry about the poor quality picture. Thank you in advance. Fritz
Like this (soldered by RCA, in 1955)

Just tin the shell first a bit where you intend to solder the shield, so you don't have to keep heat on long enough to melt the jacket of the cable. Practice a few times and it should be pretty easy.

The centre conductor goes right inside the pin and gets soldered like an octal tube pin.

See why they started making these easier to terminate? Need a bit of finesse to get this sort of connector terminated and looking good.

Attachments

• DSC_0276-600x1064a.JPG
    DSC_0276-600x1064a.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Well I did it and they look good! I cut off the red and white ends of the existing RCA cables, stripped the shield back and stripped some coating off the center wire. I took some white heat shrink tubing to the white side so I could tell them apart. The center wire stuck out the hole on the tip and I applied a drop of hot solder, and just tacked the ground to the side. Thank you for the help, Fritz

Well I did it and they look good! I cut off the red and white ends of the existing RCA cables, stripped the shield back and stripped some coating off the center wire. I took some white heat shrink tubing to the white side so I could tell them apart. The center wire stuck out the hole on the tip and I applied a drop of hot solder, and just tacked the ground to the side. Thank you for the help, Fritz

That's how real men make RCA patch cables!

It was like soldering human hair...It works, listened to Albert King on my Teac A-6300 and a couple albums for good measure. Nice to be up and running again with the Sherwood amp. I love this this stuff...

It was like soldering human hair...It works, listened to Albert King on my Teac A-6300 and a couple albums for good measure. Nice to be up and running again with the Sherwood amp. I love this this stuff...

One trick which really helps me with this kind of thing, is put a rubber band around the handles of a pair of regular combination pliers, and use them to hold the part of the plug you're not soldering.

That way it won't. Move around on you.

PanaVise makes nice jigs like the one above, including ones with suction bases to stick to a tabletop and ones with closeable jaws like an actual vise, albeit with neoprene or nylon to avoid marring the item being worked on, as well as ones with a groove to hold circuit boards. Reduces hassle factor in holding work at the right height and angle. I have used those (or ones made by other manufacturers) since the 1980s.

One trick which really helps me with this kind of thing, is put a rubber band around the handles of a pair of regular combination pliers, and use them to hold the part of the plug you're not soldering.

That way it won't. Move around on you.
Shhhh! don't wanna give away the best secrets!

I'm sure you did, but did you measure with a DMM after competion? NJ btw.

Back
Top Bottom