How expensive was your first car?

1974 my dad bought me a 64 4 door chevelle with the mighty 230 cid straight 6 and 2 speed powerglide tranny.150 dollars and i had to pay him back.I loved that car.File picture
4ba2bf9747980d578ccf910659adcb0a.jpg

In 1977 I paid $ 500 for a secretary's car:

67_mustang_springtime_tilt_a_way_1.jpg

1967 Mustang Coupe with a 289 V-8.

In 1980 I had a chance to buy one of these for $ 1,800 but I didn't like the blind spot created by the high-back seats and rear pillars. So I passed on it. Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!

1969_00007_01.jpg

My first CAR was a 1986 mid-sized Ford LTD. I was 17 in 2001 and my dad bought it for me for $75. I got my first vehicle a few months prior, a 1976 Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 short bed pickup. My dad bought it for $1500, which was probably more than it was worth. It was a hodge-podge of god only knows how many trucks put together. It had an 83 cab, 80s fleet side bed when I heard it was originally a step side. The previous owner threw a little 267 v8:rolleyes: in it after the original 400 small block went bad. After my dad wrecked it, I put an 83-87 style front clip on it. By then it was about 6 different shades of paint and primer.:smoke: I pulled the 267 out and put a 305 in it, which ran little if any better. It got 11 mpg and I got tired of pissing with it after a while, so I gave it to my uncle who was a Chevy truck freak.

I paid $2200 for a 1966 V-6 Jeep CJ-5. I worked for Summer after Summer and saved every scrap of Christmas and birthday money to buy that car. I have always been a saver and always will. The V-6 model was a Buick 155hp and it had quite some zip. I could lay down 6 ft of rubber in second gear.

In a way, my jeep was a sleeper. The only other Jeep type vehicle I lost to in a streetlight drag was a 289c.i. Ford Bronco. I had a lot of fun with that Jeep but it was a lemon. On a regular pull out from a stop sign, the transmission popped out of first and the chunks of gear floating in the trans chewed up the entire transmission. The V-6 was attached to the 4cyl transmission with a bell housing adapter. The V-6 was too much for the poor little trans. When reversing, you had to let out the clutch first, before you applied power or the entire powertrain would shake horribly. I can't count how many times I had to replace the motor and trans mounts. I swore I would never buy another Jeep, but I did and it was a horrible lemon too. Never again.

First car I bought for myself was a black 65 Pontiac Parisienne 2 door HT, 283/Powerglide . $740 in 1977. Let a buddy borrow it to drive some girls home from a party and he ran over something on the road, blew both drivers side tires and bent the frame. I wasn't to happy about it.

Back
Top Bottom