How extra will my setup be?

gtxtom

So, right now my living room system is as follows:

PC - TV - pre - amp - speakers

I'm currently using the TV's DAC via 3.5mm to RCA to my preamp. I've been doing that for about 5 years now and like the convenience of being able to use a remote for volume control. I'm looking at the Topping DX3 Pro on Massdrop right now because it has a remote and great reviews.

If I do get it, I assume I would cut out the pre? I could also technically cut out the link to the TV and go straight from PC to DAC to amp, correct?

Yea I was just thinking that. The TV is actually sorta a "hub". I have a PS4, Nintendo Switch, and the PC going to the TV via HDMI. So I would still need the TV in the chain. But I still would want to remove the preamp as that's too much, correct? It's a Marantz 3250B preamp and 170DC amp. I'll still have the pre hooked up to the amp for when I want to listen to a record, but I don't do that often in the living room. I just won't have to turn it on often at all.

You could use the optical out of your TV to drive the Topping. The analog out from the topping would go to your power amp.

Make sure the optical/coax audio on the TV is set to PCM. If not you'll get either an awful buzzing noise or no sound at all.

I like JoeESP9's thoughts on how to connect this system.

Another thought is to keep the pre-amp, use the optical out from the TV (which is your digital hub) and connect that optical to the DAC. Run the DAC analog out to your pre-amp. I think this would improve your sound quality and it makes use of the gear you already have and you have more power available for your speakers. It will also allow you to add more sources that connect to the pre-amp if you want to expand your system with more sources, such as a tape player or turntable.

JoeESP9 makes a good point. Make sure your TV digital output is set to PCM.

I guess I have some experimentation coming my way in the near future! Thanks for the tips, guys.

Back
Top Bottom