bikingbuddha

About a month back i came across a little tube hybrid made in china called Sherwood DT-555. I call it the "Tube amp from another dimension" because it's existence is completely unknown to this world. I have even posted about it on Headfi & Audiokarma and i still couldn't find anyone who has seen one or know about it. Even the company website says nothing about it. It came with a 6N3 chinese tube and i immediately changed it to 6N3P-EV russian tube. Then ordered another 6N3 compatible tube called

"Tungsol 2C51".

It was pretty cheap. I just want to know how good this Tungsol 2C51 compared to other 6N3 related tubes. I also have a GE JAN 5670 tubes powering Matisse clone 6N3 preamp which is very good, sounds warm and very laid back. Very good for jazz , opera, and vocal based music. Tungsol has a faint glow compared to super bright bulb like GE JAN 5670 which is very pleasing to look in the dark.

( Good = Sound signature, warm etc.... good for vocal based music ).

Tungsol 2C51.jpg

Here is a picture of the amp i am using this. Yes it is a hybrid and does make use of the tube in its pre-amp stage.

Attachments

• IMG_20180903_154217.jpg
    IMG_20180903_154217.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 33
Is there some reason why you don't want to just try it and decide for yourself?

I would guess that unless someone is using similar operating points for the tube that their experience with it will not be a particularly valid comparison. You might want to measure the operating points used in the amp and compare them with the data sheet. Chinese "tube" gear often uses unusual operating points. I'd be surprised if this little hybrid was running the tube with anywhere close to 150v on the plates and 8.2mA.

Here's the data sheet: https://tubedata.altanatubes.com.br/sheets/127/2/2C51.pdf

Last edited:

I would guess that unless someone is using similar operating points for the tube that their experience with it will not be a particularly valid comparison. You might want to measure the operating points used in the amp and compare them with the data sheet. Chinese "tube" gear often uses unusual operating points. I'd be surprised if this little hybrid was running the tube with anywhere close to 150v on the plates and 8.2mA.

Here's the data sheet: https://tubedata.altanatubes.com.br/sheets/127/2/2C51.pdf
I tried it and I just want to know what other users think. Thanks for the reply.

some more pictures for your reference.

IMG_20180910_132333.jpg
small2.jpg

small3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom