How Kenwood and Accuphase are related.

Discussion in 'Kenwood-Trio/Kensonic-Accuphase' started by Ds2000, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Ds2000

Ds2000 All About every cool stereo component. Subscriber

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    j31088 and Alobar like this.
  2. Alobar

Alobar Pulling out of the Last Chance Texaco.. Subscriber

I hadn't realized the split happened in 72. Had thought some of the ones that left Kenwood had worked on the 500/600/700 series Supremes.

3. Ds2000

Well the article doesn't mention when in 1972 they left, and then does mention within a year, "like minded colleagues" joined them. This could possibly be late 1973, which would have allowed the not yet departed colleagues to work on the Supreme series, unless my timing is off. I thought the Supreme set was launched there in '74.

4. Mrv8q

Mrv8q AK Subscriber Subscriber

Interesting article. When I was a kid, there was a stereo store that featured Accuphase gear. They also had a Paragon in the front room.

From tne article:
    (currently JVC Kenwood)

When did that happen? Similar to Onkyo buying Pioneer?

5. Ds2000

October 1st, 2008.

6. theophile

theophile Pheasant Plucker. Subscriber

People forget that the first Kenwood Supreme product was the Supreme 1 integrated amp released in 1968. There was always planned to be a Supreme Series. The friction within the company was that one faction wanted to release an elite set of components called the Trio Supreme Series. The other faction wanted to produce nothing at all less than that level of componentry(ie no budget or mid-fi gear). They wanted the Supreme Series or components of that level, to be the only output from Trio. This was not a split, merely both wanted to pursue excellence. One via a set of pinnacle products. One via nothing but pinnacle products.

Kenwood's business model eventually tanked and Accuphase is still regarded as pinnacle componentry.

Where it all really started. Trio Supreme 1:

[​IMG]

Ds2000, Alobar and eizner23 like this.
  7. redcoates7

redcoates7 still learning... Subscriber

I've been hunting for a Supreme 1 for YEARS. AS close as I've gotten is a service manual...which gives some excellent insight into this very sophisticated amplifier designed for Tri-Amping (a six channel stereo amplifier!) a set of speakers

8. theophile

I thought that I'd put these photos of the Trio Supreme 1 here:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alobar and Ds2000 like this.
  9. theophile

Think of the Supreme 1 as the first Accuphase component.