How many LP-12 owners on AK?

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯ `· .¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>‏

I have a 70's vintage LP12 with a new bottom board, main bearing (NOT Cirkus, did not like what it did to the bass)fresh motor and Vallhalla as of 1998 or 1999??, Grace 707 Tonearm/Benz-micro ACE, wired with the new Cardas silver interconnect, clear dustcover and a silver powercord.

I am thinking of going with a new motor package for it, the one that is a true DC, running off a battery.

I love my table.
It makes real music and seems to show me what is on the vinyl...good, bad or otherwise...it does not get in the way of the music.
I like the fact that you can stay more basic, like mine...or go to the moon with the table.

I'm curious of your opinion, based on your comment about not preferring the bass with a Cirkus bearing. Could it be that the increased detail in the upper and midrange has dwarfed the bass in juxtaposition? I find the bass exactly the same as before the Cirkus addition to my table. I did have the rare advantage of hearing an identical deck, with same cartridge (and same vintage), same arm, side-by-side and I opted for the Cirkus, fast as I could pull the dollars out of my pocket. The new bearing cut my record surface noise at least in half also and it wasn't bad to start with. I couldn't stand being without the huge increase in low level detail and resulting acoustic ambience transcribed from the recordings. Just curious, not trying to cross-examine your choice or start an arm wrestling match with you. :music:

Happy Listening! :beatnik:

I have a new to me 86 lp12 w/ ittok vii and grado ref master breaking in and settling in to my system. :music:

I have a 1977 vintage LP12 - fitted a rewired Rega RB250 and a Denon DL110. Very happy, bought loads of vinyl recently!

Richard

LP-12
Valhalla
Ittok LVII
Graham Silver tonearm lead
Herbie's Way Excellent Turntable Mat II
Benz H2O, or Denon DL103S (Shibata stylus version), or Asak, or Shure M-3D, or...well, too many to list...got a huge load of cartridges to play with...
Cartridge Leads made with Cardas 33ga. wire and Cardas cartridge tags...

+1

I currently have two LP-12's that I'm restoring.

- A 1978 (?) which will soon be fitted with a Grace arm. It's missing the lid and bottom cover but is in otherwise good working order.

- A 1983 w/ Vallhalla. This has a Basik LV-X arm that will be seeing a Dynavector 10x5 shortly. I plan on upgrading the arm at some point.

I have one

I have a Linn LP12 and Ivor showed me how to set one up...

Many moons ago I worked at the store which seems to have morphed into Overture in Ann Arbor.

Selling those first US LP12 was really fun...

Hi,

Ingrid and I each have a Linn Sondek LP12. Hers is at Vahalla level. Mine has my own power supply. Each machine has a Ittok arm and Asak cartridge. We love our Linns. Both cost less than $200 total. Nice machines we love!

This is my LP12 set up!

Quad 77 pre-amp
x2 Quad 77 power amps
bi-wired & bi-amped Quad 22L speakers
Linn LP12
Linn Lingo
Latest trampoline upgrade
Linn Circus upgrade
SME series V tonearm +ortofon Rohman cartridge
Nordost TYR tonearm cable upgrade
Nordost Valhalla interconnects
Trichord Dino + external power supply
QED silver anniversay speaker cable + airloc plugs

I am thinking of going with a new motor package for it, the one that is a true DC, running off a battery.

I'm not sure of the date of mine, but it has the Pink-Linnk power supply upgrade. Runs on DC off of a battery, and I now have 33 1/3, and 45RPM.
Basik Plus arm witha Grado Prestige Gold.
How do I determine date of manufacture?

Last edited:
Hi, I'm new to vinyl and just picked up an LP 12 and know nothing about it. I'll post a few pics here and hopefully the experts can help me with the specifics. I'd really like to know more about the tone arm and setup. Thanks.

Attachments

• P1070243 (Medium).JPG
    P1070243 (Medium).JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 114
  • P1070244 (Medium).JPG
    P1070244 (Medium).JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 112
  • P1070245 (Medium).JPG
    P1070245 (Medium).JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 87
miyabi_aro1.jpg

A local Linn pro put gether this Frankenstein LP12.
I've started with a Basik/Basik Plus arm/K9 using Nait 3R's internal MM phono.
The current spec is Lingo/ARO/Miyabi 47 ( disco cartridge ) into Phonocube with double PSUs or Naim SuperLine.

miyabi_aro1.jpg

A local Linn pro put gether this Frankenstein LP12.
I've started with a Basik/Basik Plus arm/K9 using Nait 3R's internal MM phono.
The current spec is Lingo/ARO/Miyabi 47 ( disco cartridge ) into Phonocube with double PSUs or Naim SuperLine.

Nice Frankenstein. I am no expert on the LP12, but I do recall reading somewhere years ago that they did not like glass shelves... have you experimented?

Mana shelf works with an LP12.

I really like it with an LP12. (albeit when tuned. Otherwise it can sound awful )

You basically adjust spikes that support the glass shelf and get a clear ring off it.

I'm no expert on the deck either but love what it does.
linto_akiva_lp12.jpg

Here's another view.
I've added a shelf called *reference top* which is an extra layer of rack that sits on a wall mounted one.

From what I understand you can add more shelves to this. What they do is basically draining the vibration off the table more effectively than a single layer.

Anyways, I have tried other shelf on the Mana, but I prefer the glass shelves the best on it.

There's a better shot; so you have experimented. Nice set up. :thmbsp:
Funny how some claim to not like the "ringing" of glass, and others prefer it. My Genki is on a glass sheet but it completely isolated by way of a hanging cable; I plan on trying some maple shelf eventually but have not got around to it...

Glass does ring.

But the Mana set up is better than I expected on a Sondek.

A Genki on a hanging glass shelf is interesting.

I used to own an Ikemi but never tried on a glass shelf. What worked the best with it was Nuance platform.

Here's a good reading on a used LP12 FAQ.
http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9844
bigears,

It looks to be in an excellent shape.
If you never tuned the Linn before, it might be well worth it to look for a set up person. ( might save you a headache down the line )

Or the very least I suggest get new tune up parts ( springs/grommets, belt ) and a felt mat.

I hope its bearing is in a good shape.

Hi, I'm new to vinyl and just picked up an LP 12 and know nothing about it. I'll post a few pics here and hopefully the experts can help me with the specifics. I'd really like to know more about the tone arm and setup. Thanks.

Your tonearm is a Mayware Formula 4.

You can find all information about the tonearm and deck at the vinyl engine website. They even have the set-up manual for the Linn.

Btw, your cartridge looks like a Grace F9-E.

Back
Top Bottom