How many LP-12 owners on AK?

I did try the FR1, but was a wee while ago, it might have been the FR1-MK3F. couldn't swear though. I know the dealer I was in leagues with was always throwing cartridges at me to play with on weekends. I know had a go with the MC201 at one stage and then an Accuphase AC-1 ( I think that's what is was). Confess I like the integrated designs as you just set the VTA and tracking force and that's that. The frequency response on the MC702 and FR7 is also hard to beat too ! I like the Ortofon SPU's too but a bit pricey for me at the moment.

Thanks for your reply.

the only reason it piqued my interest is that late Julian Vereker used the said cartridge with an ARO.

No Regrets,

Where is the DC motor sourced from?

Hi kuma,

I'm hoping to have some time today to take the table apart and have a closer look at the motor. I'm hoping it will have the brand and model number printed on it somewhere.

I also read on a thread somewhere while trying to research my problem, that a person with a different table was experiencing simalar symptoms as mine and he applied some sewing machine oil to the motor and it solve his issues. I must admit that although I take excellent care of my Linn's bearing oil, I have never gave thought about lubricating the motor. So I think I will try giving the motor a couple drops of the sewing machine oil and see what happens.....it probably can't hurt. What do you guys think?

Have you tried to contact Pink Triangle?

Yes, I did talk with Arthur via email. He said that he doesn't know if it would be the motor or the supply that is the culprit. Basically he was promoting the fact that I should just get the K-drive and motor kit because he felt that it is superior to the Pink Link power supply so why bother fixing the old when you can have the new and improved version. I said that I was perfectly happy with the old, and would really not like to have to part with roughly $1000 + US Dollars for the new. He understood, but said that mine is so old that he no longer has the schematic for it....If I really wanted this one fixed, he said that I could ship it to him and he could look at it but without a schematic it could take some time and the cost may be too prohibitive and then I might have as well bought the new K-Drive and motor. These conversations were a while ago when the first symptoms developed. But because it doesn't happen all the time, I have just been living with it so to speak. When the table doesn't feel like keeping pace, I listen to a different source. When it is working, I'm in heaven.

Gees.

that's not really an acceptable answer from the original supplier!
He no longer has a schematics because it's old? wtf.

How old is the motor and PSU? ( a battery could have gone bad, too )

Gees.

that's not really an acceptable answer from the original supplier!
He no longer has a schematics because it's old? wtf.

How old is the motor and PSU? ( a battery could have gone bad, too )

I'm guessing it's about 16 years old now. I replaced the battery and the belt but still no change. The bearing oil has been changed. The tracking force rechecked. That's why I think it has something to do with the motor or the supply. I have a good friend that is very talented with electronics. He said he'd be willing to replace all of the regulator chips in the supply if we can find like kind. He has a meter that can check capacitors in circuit to see if they are bad and they all tested fine. But again, without the schematic, we are running blind. So, I have to get the supply back from him, and try the oil lubrication trick on the motor. If that doesn't work, I'll let him replace the regulator chips......and after that I'm at a loss of what to do.

I really appreciate everyone sharing their ideas with me. If you come up with any more, please continue to tell me. I'll try just about anything. My digital source is making my ears bleed!

You might want to post your question at Pink Fish Media where some folks there know more about older Pink Triangle kit.

It seems some did have known PSU problems. There are a few knowledgeable folks there so someone might be able to help you out.

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Good luck!

Thanks kuma,

I took your advice and registered there just now. Hopefully someone will have experienced my problem and know the solution.....worth a try.

Thanks again.

Well, just a little update on my speed problem. We cleaned the contacts on the din plug that connects the supply to the table. I have logged about 40+ hours now and no signs of speed problems as of yet. So I'm hopeful that it was just a dirty connection giving a me a little grief.

Thanks to all for sharing their thoughts and suggestions.

Well I finally got around to filling out the paper work and joined AK so as an LP-12 owner I will join the thread. I have had mine for three years. Bought it used and in bad shape, but local dealer got it up and running for me and I have done a few upgrades since. I had the Cirkus upgrade, replaced the original power supply with a Hercules II, upgraded from an Akito 2B to an Ittok LVIII and had the original plinth replaced. I have to say it was probably one of my top two buys in this hobby.

Hi,

Ingrid and I each have a Linn Sondek LP12. Hers is at Vahalla level. Mine has my own power supply. Each machine has a Ittok arm and Asak cartridge. We love our Linns. Both cost less than $200 total. Nice machines we love!

:eek::eek: Wow, I wish I could find even one for even double that, good work!

LP12 owner since 1986. Current Sondek is 1993 vintage with Lingo, Ekos and K18II cartridge. I bought a number of K18II styli when Linn discontinued the cartridge, I'm on my last one now, it's about time for a new cartridge, not sure which direction to go. The rest of the system consists of a LK1 preamp with Dirak supply, Aktiv Isobariks with 3 LK280s, Creek CD60 cd player, various other sources. The Creek is getting a little long in the tooth, probably time for a new cd player too.

I'm an LP12 owner too, since 6 years ago. Valhalla, Ittok LVII/Karma.
Think it's a late 80s vintage in black, with black arm. Cool-looking combo!
I had forgotten how good it sounded until I plugged it back into my system this afernoon and played "The Wall" - still recovering...

Linn LP12 owner since 1988. Have recently taken it out of storage after about 8 years. Still sounds great to me.

I've had my late 80's LP12 for about 6 years. It originally came with a Valhalla/Akito I/Glider combo. Akito has been replaced by Jelco SA-370H with Baltic Birch arm-board. Other changes include custom external box for Valhalla PS, top plate flip to position motor at 7 o:clock and SR1000 anti-vibration compound on the sub-chassis underside.

Jeff

Same Rosewood LP-12 since the early 1980's, though upgraded periodically. Currently, with Lingo PS, Ekos Arm, and Archiv cartridge.

Back
Top Bottom