How many of you built Heathkits?

Discussion in 'AK Polls' started by HiFiCanada, Sep 5, 2012.

1. teal'c

teal'c It's all moo

I did not, but our first color TV was a Heathkit built by my dad. A lot of the circuitry was on board to the right side with the power button and controls. After a few years the connectors got tarnished and sometimes you'd have to slide the board out by pulling a tab in a handle at the bottom of the set and reseat it to get it to turn on.
    It was cool to me then, now I'd be annoyed and fix it.

KentTeffeteller likes this.
  2. MyHeresyIsMe

MyHeresyIsMe AK Subscriber Subscriber

Can't remember exactly the year, but I built two Heathkits in one 12 month span. One was a 5 tube 'superhetrodyne' radio (for a grade school shop project) and the other was a Fuzz Box for my Kent 6 string guitar. Both were easy to assemble, the directions were very clear and the kit were complete --- no missing parts. Heathkit was good, at least in my limited experience.

3. taineasy

taineasy Member

Just completed a FULL rebuild of a Heathkit AR1500A for a customer. Wow! This is one sweet sounding amplifier. Actually got the DC Offset to dead zero with a bit of adjusting (and a boatload of new parts!) This is a brute of an amp and is putting out 73 watts per channel RMS at 8 Ohms and a whopping 129 at 4 ohms without pushing it at all. The massive heat-sinks attained a good temperature and maintained it even after 24 hours continuous running. Very stable with low impedance speakers . Great build quality (this was a 1975 factory built unit and weighs 50 lbs) and one of the easiest amps to work on I have seen in a while. I would say this ol'fella easily sounds as good as the Marantz 2270 I repaired last year- Warm but captures the detail nicely when it is needed.

KentTeffeteller and Fran604g like this.
  4. Fran604g

Fran604g Love at first sound... Subscriber

I'm happy to hear your results! It's been quite a few years since I've done any critical listening to ours at my son's house. But it still (remarkably) seems to be doing well. I'm nervous, and I'll continue to try and convince him to have it gone through, before catastrophic failure. I loved that amp for many years!

5. KentTeffeteller

KentTeffeteller Gimpus Stereophilus!

I did the same, built lots of Heathkits, Eico kits, and HH Scott, and Fisher Kits NOS, and made good money finishing what overworked Oak Ridge scientists, engineers, physicists, and nuclear technicians didn't have time to do, they paid me well. This in the early 1970's. One of my customers used to engineer an AM/FM combo in Oak Ridge, TN, and helped me get into the broadcast engineering field. At 9 years old. Kits became career.

6. RTally

RTally Member

When I was a teenager in the 60s I was into ham radio, not audio. I built several Heathkits and Knightkits. Ham and shortwave receivers. Test equipment: VOM, RF signal generator. Good times.

7. Poinzy

Poinzy Super Member

I still have my Heathkit metronome.

8. RTally

RTally Member

Too many years. Too many moves. Sadly, i have none of that old stuff. I wish I did, though. There have been times I could have used some of it.

9. daveo50

daveo50 New Member

I also built a number of Heathkits. I believe most of my kit building was in the early to mid 70s. I built at least 2 of their color televisions. I drove to Benton Harbor to get the cabinet for the 25" set I built for myself. We watched that set for probably 20 years.

I remember the assembly books were well written with plenty of illustrations.