How many of you have a Nakamichi CD player?

Do you own a Nakamichi CD player?

• Total voters

Sir.Byrd

Lunatic Member
Seems like a lot of people have Nakamichi CD players specifically the CD Player 4...
do you have one?

Here is mine:
DSC_0010-12.jpg

picked it up for $10 and its been my CD player for the last year or so.

I have one, but, unfortunately, it is not working at the moment. It doesn't recognize that there is a CD in it, so I'll have to take it to a tech and have him look at it.

There's a Music Bank 7-disc player in use in my bedroom these days. Nice unit, but they used to come in for service once in a while- from what I could tell, these units don't 'park' the CD drawers on a soft power off- they simply shut down. When powered up again, they sometimes let the disc last in play slide off the tray & jam the machine. I've had no issues, as long as I always hit stop, wait for it to park, and then shut off. The analog output's sound has been very good (has a coax out as well).

Plus, I got a bonus B.B. King CD with it when I garbage-picked it! It was jammed inside the unit.

je

I abandoned CD players years ago.

Seriously. Before a time in my life when I was real serious in to my audio, like most snot-nosed kids of the mid 90's, I had an mp3 collection...that migrated in to not only a hodgepodge of formats...but when the disk space allowed, I started getting in to FLAC.

To this day, every physical CD I own gets copied to my music server in a lossless format for playback later without having to hunt down the disc...and a player...I just hook my usb DAC's output to the amp...load my music software and go to town. It's easier and faster than hunting down a CD each time I want to listen to it...if you've got over 1000 albums, you know the feeling....(although I've got about 2500 LP's which causes it's own problems)

The other reason is I, like most people, own a portable hard-disk based music player. 60 gigs (soon to be 120 gigs) will hold a lot of lossy and quite a bit of lossless audio for my listening pleasure...and before you wonder...the portable player has a lovely Wolfson DAC...so it's got nice output.

When I have a CD player, it's purely coincidental...like a DVD player or game console that'll play audio CD's. Most of my music is stored in a digital format and is played back that day. The only time music doesn't come out of the PC is if I've got an LP on the table...which does happen from time to time (and lots of LP's get backed up to DVD-A PCM for the same reason) :)

...but i've got noting against standalone CD players...I've just found a way to survive without one.

"How many of you have a Nakamichi CD player?"

not me.

used to tho. iirc, it was a music bank 7 or something like that. kept jamming, i'd fix it, jammed again, ad nauseum...

donated it to thrift store. in working condition but with a warning note about the jam.

not me.

used to tho. iirc, it was a music bank 7 or something like that. kept jamming, i'd fix it, jammed again, ad nauseum...

donated it to thrift store. in working condition but with a warning note about the jam.

See post #4...might not have been your issue, but it was the cause of mine.

je

Seriously. Before a time in my life when I was real serious in to my audio, like most snot-nosed kids of the mid 90's, I had an mp3 collection...that migrated in to not only a hodgepodge of formats...but when the disk space allowed, I started getting in to FLAC.

Seriously? Where did you live? I had never heard of Mp3's untill not even 10 years ago. In the mid 90's all the music I got was on cassette tapes. Thats pretty much what the other kids had too. I never even got my first CD player untill 1999.

I don't have a Nakamichi CD player, didn't even know they made em. Do they still make them?

Last edited:
I dunno if they are. I mean, as a whole. Frankly, I'd hate a CDP that was always jamming. Sounds like it's a pretty common occurrence with them.

My primary CD only players are Nak's. A DRAGON-CD and 1000mb. Both are changers, but in another league compared to the other Music Bank offerings from them. Link to earlier posts on the pair.

Regards,
TB

Back
Top Bottom