How many of you have a Nakamichi CD player?

Do you own a Nakamichi CD player?

• Total voters
Try a revox. I have both and the sound out of a revox will amaze you. I have a music bank MB2 which was sent out serviced/updated. My revox was also serviced/upgraded and wow the revox is one of the best! I also would say the a/d/s cd3 is another one!

Nakamichi CDC-200 5-Disc Player

I picked up a very clean CDC-200 5-Disc Player at a local swap meet for $15 and am very happy with it. I didn't necessarily want a multi-disc player, but the output is very good, playing through a Marantz 2238B into vintage JBL speakers. I had a minor glitch when my grandson, who likes to press buttons, caused it to jam and not open. I unplugged it, lifted it out of its place, and the discs slipped out over the top of the tray. I took off the cover and saw everything was covered by the tray assembly, but when I plugged it in it cycled and operated normally. Didn't even have to access the belts. Put it back together and ran five cd's through it and it's back in business. Now to repair that Nak tape deck I picked up at an estate sale...:tresbon:

Yes and No. I picked up an OMS-1A this summer at a garage sale for $10. I gave it to my stepson for his system. Last time I was over there he had yet to hook it up. I think next time I go over and it is still sitting there I will drag it back home.

20150621_101505.jpg

nakamichi cd player collection:

oms-7
oms-7aii
oms-5
oms-5a
oms-1
cd player-2
cdp-2a
mb-2s
mb-3
mb-3s

only the cdplayer-2 and the cdp-2a will play a disc, and that is only about 25% of the time...

having to play cds on nad-542, which sounds really good as well. but, only works about 75% of the time.

wish i had more time and/or was better at troubleshooting...

I had an OMS-7 purchased new in the mid 80s, but it was very problematic. Even Nak couldn't fix it properly (including a brand new laser). Ended up storing it for a couple of decades, then sold it to some guy locally for $25. It's a shame, since it actually sounded good...when it decided to work.

I have a CD-4. The CD-4 is not the same as a CDplayer4. It has a completely different case and faceplate, different style. The circuitry is the same in the two models.

This is just interesting trivia. It's a nice looking deck, but the controls aren't well-marked, and the lay-out isn't obvious. It's a good performer, however.

My favorite CDP is a Tascam.

I have an MB-2 that a guy gave me for free at the end of a garage sale years ago and it's still working fine. Free is always good.

Does a Mcintosh with a Nakamichi drive count? I do still have two cassette units.

If you're talking about the MCD-7008, yes. CD Player 2 in McIntosh clothes.

Just picked up my 18th CD Player/ MB series. Parents, two friends, cousin and an uncle own one and love them. I'm listening to a CD Player 1 as I type this.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread - I have a CD Player 2 and the belt(s) are shot. Drawer won't open unless you give it a nudge from the back (with the top off). I've replaced lots of CD player belts, but this one looks like a real pain. Does anyone have hints or instructions on how to replace the belts in this thing without fully dismantling the unit? It otherwise works great and sounds amazing.

The MB-2's in Hi-Fi Valhalla. It's just throwing serial error messages now. I don't think (surprisingly) that it's the laser. But after having futzed with it for over fifteen years (it was never trouble free) I picked up a nice Denon DVD-2800 II to put in its place. So far, it's not as needy as the MB-2 was. But it sounded TERRIFIC.

Last edited:
As of yesterday I have a CD Player 4. Picked it up on the local buy/sell for 20 bucks. Seems to play fine.

As of yesterday I have a CD Player 4. Picked it up on the local buy/sell for 20 bucks. Seems to play fine.

Take a peek inside and you'll wonder how they could be sold for only $350 back in 1990. Basic Sony optics, but separate supplies for the analog, DAC and digital sections. Lots of Nichicon Muse caps, polypropylene and polystyrene, plus many 1% metal film resistors. The AD1864 was an excellent dual 18 bit DAC along with a co-ax digital out makes for a good player or transport. For twenty bucks... great find.

Update: I replaced the laser in my MB-2 as I found one for reasonable money on the 'bay. The only difference it made was now the portion of the display above "S" (Single Disc) lights up. The drawer works fine but the rest of it's still DOA. It still throws an "Err 1" on the display. I think I'll put it up on Bartertown. Frankly, the Denon 2800 II sounds better. But I don't want the player/parts/components/remote to go to waste.

just got Nak cd3 but it has a problem the cd tray opens after about 10 seconds after loading. I didnt hear the cd spinning when it was closed and of course it didnt play.it also had a tray belt problem , I put a temporary rubber band in place of the stretched out belt that was slipping. dont want to spend money until I know it will play music.

Attachments

• IMG_4511.JPG
    IMG_4511.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 10
I recently picked up an OMS-7 with dual TDA1540 DACs and I’m surprised at how lush and full it sounds. I’m really enjoying it. I also have a CDP-2A with the TDA15141A DAC but I’ll need to fix the drawer mechanism before I can compare the two players side by side. I’ll probably do a partial recapping of the CDP-2A since some of the electrolytic caps are leaking.

Back
Top Bottom