How many of you have actually been making super lucky finds @ thrift shops lately?

Taketheflame

Hey all,

Fairly self-explanatory thread title, but I really am curious - how many of you have been scoring big at your local thrift stores/Goodwills lately?

I only ask, because I think I'm starting to get the wrong impression (that impression being that thrift stores are gold mines full of scores) from reading AK threads of people finding amazing gear for dirt cheap that would normally cost hundreds from CL/eBay/a good vintage stereo shop.

I'm beginning to think people have figured out to look via such sources regularly these days, because the best I've been able to do lately are good CD finds, and maybe a cassette tape or two (not much luck w/vinyl).

Anyone else share these sentiments? Or might I have better luck at thrift stores outside of a major metro area?

Yeah I hit three stores at least once a week and I've only had a couple mega scores in years. Usually I come home with a handful of CDs or old canning jars, maybe if I'm lucky a couple LPs, some good old spatulas, or maybe an antique cast iron skillet or Dutch oven worth restoring for the kids.

I used to check at least one thrift store everyday, and was averaging about 2 post worthy score a month. I probably check 1-3 thrift stores a week for the past few months. But still have managed to mega score. The latest being a pair of Thiel 04a for $150 a couple weeks ago. Maybe a month before that I got a pair of EPI 100v for $25. Just last week I got a Yamaha rx-v275 for $20.

Hey all,

Fairly self-explanatory thread title, but I really am curious - how many of you have been scoring big at your local thrift stores/Goodwills lately?

I only ask, because I think I'm starting to get the wrong impression (that impression being that thrift stores are gold mines full of scores) from reading AK threads of people finding amazing gear for dirt cheap that would normally cost hundreds from CL/eBay/a good vintage stereo shop.

I'm beginning to think people have figured out to look via such sources regularly these days, because the best I've been able to do lately are good CD finds, and maybe a cassette tape or two (not much luck w/vinyl).

Anyone else share these sentiments? Or might I have better luck at thrift stores outside of a major metro area?
The golden age of thrift audio scores are pretty much over.Not saying something can't happen as you see from the forum here it does occasionally.The well is running dry and there are a lot more people looking for the stuff.10-15 years ago I would actually find something nice(silver receiver,speakers and the like) at least once a month.I was lucky to live close to a damn good thrift.Now it could take six months to find something.The times have changed.Be persistent and be prepared for the fact that some thrift stores never have anything.

Yep, as been said you're seeing the cream of the crop from thousands of thrift store exclusions so it's easy to infer that good stuff is just falling out of the woodwork.
I've made a few ok finds over the years but most of my gold has come from Craigslist, other online marketplaces or simply word of mouth.

I gave up about 8 years ago. But scroes still happen! And I like hearing about the real good ones.
Time is not on my side so I just buy a lottery ticket every couple months.

You know, goodwill has their own auction site now. And if you search for local pickup only stuff, you can still find some decent scores. You'll pay a bit more since there's competition. Also, goodwill also advertises stuff on Craigslist now, you don't know it's them until you show up.

There are many members on AK. You only hear about the mega scores. Probably not that many in actuality.
Exactly. It's like thinking that everyone wins the lottery because of that news report about the nice couple who just won. I hope everyone gives up on them!

I havent had an audio score at a thrift in quite a while, and I hit the thrifts every single day.. The scores almost always slow down in the summer, but it has been very slow at the thrifts this year.. So to answer the ops question, no. The thrifts are absolutely not overflowing with scroes.

Goodwill ships everything good to a wearhouse and sells it at goodwill.com. I was working with a guy that was buying from there all the time, I don't know how he had room to store all of it.

i have. i found a yamaha m4 power amp just last week while on lunch break. however i have noticed the diminishing returns also and do not go as often as i used to. this in itself does tend to skew the data because my plan was to thrift often and to only occasionally score anything of value. if one thrifts less then yes you will have less opportunities. tis a slippery slope.

I used to get great deals at garage sales, but in the last 10 or so years, everyone either wants ebay prices, or sells on ebay/craigslist instead. I barely bother looking any more unless I happen to be driving right by one. I've never found anything good at the thrift stores in my area; there are relatively few compared with the population and it seems that everyone knows what to look for.

Work on developing relationships - Let people know 'upstream' what you're looking for, and that you'll pay a finder's fee. Retail doesn't pay and they'd be happy to get extra bucks.

Does your area have a designated electronics/ appliance waste disposal site? Check in with those guys. Bring 'em donuts a time or two, maybe.

The age of thrift gold is over; everybody's got a phone with pricing data right there.

It takes a lot of perseverance to find anything at a thrift store. Right Place, Right Time. Believe me. I visit my local GW every day, and twice a day on weekends. 99% of the time I walk out with jack squat, but that %1 makes up for it. My best Summer buys? JBL L-16 Decades, Phase Tech PC60's, and a pair of ADS L400's. 108 trips to a GW over a three month period for 3 pair of speakers. Don't know if that's good, or bad. Actually, it's a social event too. I speak to a few "regulars" about their finds, and life in general. Garage sales are "seasonal" here. Mid April to Mid September. I work 1st shift, so, I'm for the most part out of luck being able to go.
Anymore though, if I find something at a thrift, I ask myself, "is it better than I already have?" Usually the answer is no, and leave it for someone else.

Back
Top Bottom