How much longer do you think you have?

I'm 65 and sometimes wonder what the future will bring. Fortunately, I'm healthy and can pretty much do anything I could do at age 25. I retired 10 years ago and am getting ready to go travel around the world again in a few months. By July, I hope to be out of here and at a nice beach somewhere. Anyway, I guess I'm fortunate to have good genes. That probably helps more than anything, Most of my relatives lived to the mid 80s or longer. One was 106 when he died, but he was a doctor and knew how to take care of himself.

I'm definitely not making any long term financial plans. I have enough money to have an absolute blast for the next 15-20 years, so that's what I'm going to do. No sense worrying about what I'll be doing at age 85. By then, I might be dead.

Well 53 seems to be a little bit of a bug-a-boo for my family, both my Dad and my Grandfather (my dads father) passed at 53 from massive heart attacks.

I'll be 53 this November.

Have read several books, some by the med people, who think that some/all people have to abiity to either lengthen or shorten their life spans because of their outlook on life. Because of the link between the brain/gut and the immune sys, all three do play their parts as they interact on a daily basis.

Course life style, vocation and disease still plays heavy factors in the life equation as does the heritage of genes along with environment thrown into the mix.

The passing of a loved one or some icon in the world that we've appreciated slams home the thought of finiteness. Least it does for me.

Would I want to know when my term is finished? NO. Just that it not be a long painful event.

Q

Last edited:
To reference the music realm, I like the Pink Floyd line from the album 'Obscured by Clouds'
"..80 years with luck or even less."

Great album by the way

I'm pretty optimistic about the short term (though I've been wrong before)
I hate to jinx myself.
So far, so good

Last edited:
I started thinking about it during year 44. It's sort of like being on a roller coaster and the climb to the top is so long that you forget you're going anywhere; then you get toward the top and think "Wait, I'm not ready!" And you realize that the "right time" for most of those things was when you thought of them to begin with. That's the Midlife Crisis right there.
And then your kids are old enough that they start respecting your opinion. Yes, it can happen, miraculous and unlikely as it seems- sometime in their 20s, as it turns out.
Meanwhile, older relatives are passing on and you notice there aren't that many left in front of you- you're taking their place and getting closer to the front of the line.
I come from a long line of lingerers. We mostly stay sharp as a tack into our 90s and end up with bodies that won't support our ambitions. My dad died three years ago at 83 due to his first 40 years being rough- he grew up more or less feral in the '30s and '40s, scrounging butts and semi-empty bottles, but he came out alright in the end. I did tell him so before he left. And that's the big thing I've learned recently- dole out encouragement wherever and whenever you can. My teenagers reject every positive word I utter but I know it will mean something later.
Anyway, being a mere kid of 45 I have 0 to 50 years left- 'cause you never know. My wife is four years older than I am (don't tell her I told you!) and her family gets to 70 or so, max. I occasionally need to reassure her that I'll be here for her and I try not to worry about what I'll do- keep trying to whip the kids into shape, I guess.
Lucky for me, Keith Richards and others have made it okay for guys to rock out as they head for 80. I can still do what I love most and not worry about what anyone thinks.

The best thing a person can do is focus on something that causes involvement. Because just hanging on the same lifestyle we have always had while working and raising a family causes empty nest syndrome. Most early deaths and geriatric illnesses are caused by stress and depression by just hanging on. There are senior communities in Cancun Mexico and the Mexican government controls that area severely so as to protect tourism there. So finding a home cheap enough and large enough to accommodate visiting family will be a snap because there is no need to live in a gated community. The entire Cancun peninsula is protected by the Mexican army and controls who goes in or out and the police maintain strict obedience of the locals concerning the foreigners that live there making it the best place on earth for seniors to live. Just think about having a B&B for seniors with the locals working for you to brighten up your life.
Because it was the involvement with others that made you happy while working and raising a family. Why sit in some cold part of the country doing the same thing as others watching your health disappear until your health is gone and your laying in some substandard old folks home. Old folks homes in other countries cater to their clients because of the amount of money social security pays for in those countries compared to ours. In other countries, we are considered rich people that deserve more for our money. Places like Costa Rica have retirement communities with doctors that do home visits and nurses that attend to you in your home when you are sick at a substantial lower cost without trying to shove every pharmaceutical under the sun at you. The point is having a plan and not moving about in life as part of some herd off to slaughter. Go get you some.....have some fun !

Last edited:
I had about 30 seconds earlier this afternoon if I hadn't done some fancy maneuvering on the bike trail. Swerved to avoid some yahoo what pulled out of the side right in front of me, and came inches away from going down a steep embankment into the river ...

Just shows ta go ya ... best laid plans and all that. Your number's up, your numbers up ... no sense losing any sleep over it.

Accidents are always happening, all over the world, so one never knows. And who knows how vital organs in our bodies are doing?

I'm 62 now and am happy that I have had this many years. If I don't wake up tomorrow, I'm okay in that I feel I've had a good run in life.

How many years left? To be honest, I've never desired to be a really old man. 4 to 5 more good years would be great. Another 8 to 10 years, if I can remain healthy throughout, would be fantastic. That's enough for me.

The plan is to live just long enough to spend my kids inheritance. :thumbsup:
Thats it.
I tell people wife and I are going on another ski trip.
They say " You like the snow?" I say No, just Spend the Kids Inheritance.
Really, I have another 30years and 6 months. In New Zealand one gets a letter from Queen Elizabeth when you turn 100.

Both my parents lived well into their 80's and were very active right till the end. My father even bought a brand new 4 cubic inch chainsaw for himself at 89. I'm hoping some of those good genes ended up coming my way. So far so good at 61 and bp was 118 over 76 at my checkup last week. I guess working a physically demanding job for the past 30+ years does have some benefits.

Had a pretty bad heart attack in 2005 (on the table in the hospital during an angiogram). Triple bypass was the fix. Quit smoking and started taking better care of myself. Was in my doc's office for my quarterly checkup last week and sat next to a guy who had the same bypass surgery 25+ years ago, so I guess I have 10-15 left. Since I'm 66, that's not so bad. As far as the relatives, they met their maker anywhere from 68 to 102, so no telling from that.

I am 70. Some of you probably think it is stupid, but I am building a new house in a 55 and over community. I hope to stick around to enjoy it, but the way I look at it is that I only have today. Does anyone need 17 years worth of stuff that I accumulated in this house that will not fit in the new one? My wife wants me to get rid of my vintage gear, but that is where I draw the line. It may be set up in the basement, but it is going to go with me.

Back
Top Bottom