How Often Did Your (Cassette) Tapes Get Eaten?

How often did your (cassette) tapes get eaten?

• Once a week

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Once a month

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Four times a year

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • Twice a year

Votes: 17 19.8%
  • Once a year

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • Longer interval than one year

Votes: 49 57.0%

• Total voters
One of my car stereos had better taste in music than some of my friends. They would put a tape by a "popular" group in the player and it would eat it. Then I would painstakingly remove the tape, tie it to the antenna and drive to unfurl it. The deck didn't ever eat a TDK SA-C90 that I recall. My Naka and Technics home tape decks didn't ever eat one, but I generally would do the FF/REW on a different deck before playing to retension.

An update since last April.

Had the old Onkyo cleaned/tuned by old tech friend of mine...hums along even better. Dirt/dust could have caused probs down the road he said.

Now some of my 8 trackers?...well, that's another ball of wax!:rolleyes:

Q

I have been listening to and recording music onto cassettes since 1978 and to this day I still own all of those cassettes ( 800 or so). Out of all that time, I have lost approximately 3 tapes to the dreaded "eating", I have broken a couple and repaired them and I have worn out another 2 or 3. In my experience, cassettes have been very durable and long lived. If you count the one time I lost a tape to a cheap car cassette adapter, that makes (4). I really do not consider "tape eating" to be a prevalent hazard and certainly not one that I am worried about. Others may have had a different experience and I have had mine.

We had crappy players when I was a kid, seemed like we were always about half afraid every time we put a tape in that it would get eaten. I repaired and rewound countless tapes in my youth.

I never had a cassette tape eaten by a tape deck. I usually bought quality tapes, mostly TDK, and recorded music from my LPs onto tape. And, when one of my brothers bought a CD player, I started buying CDs, which I recorded onto tape at his home, before I got a CD player for myself. I only had a few prerecorded tapes. I regularly used cassettes for about a decade, before I switched over to CDs.

I also cleaned and demagnetized my tape deck regularly. And I had a decent quality tape deck. But I also occasionally played tapes in my brother's car, and the player in his car was a cheap piece of junk. I remember hearing excessive wow and flutter when hitting bumps in the road, which probably kept me from playing tapes more often.

Been at least 30 years now ...

(which would correspond with the last time I spun a cassette ...) <G>

BIFF !
(owwwwww)

Thanx ... I needed that.

I've been using cassettes since around 1980 - and still playing them regularly, and I cannot recall EVER having a tape mutilated.
Good quality machines and cassettes, kept clean, just work without problems.

Only my early Sony car stereo playback decks ate tape. As long as I have been using Maxell tape I have never lost a cassette, with my Nakamichis or car Stereo's.

I took care of my tapes and players, so only had a few problems. Mainly in the car, so blame the portable technology.

Back
Top Bottom