How often do you hit the thrift store?

How often do you go shopping at the thrift store?

• More than once a day

Votes: 9 2.1%
  • Once a day

Votes: 22 5.2%
  • Every other day

Votes: 47 11.2%
  • Once a week

Votes: 132 31.4%
  • Once every two weeks

Votes: 61 14.5%
  • Once a month

Votes: 93 22.1%
  • Never

Votes: 56 13.3%

• Total voters

spartanmanor

Lunatic Member
Since the vinyl bug has bitten hard, I have been going to the thrift a lot more than I care to admit. I have scored on some nice gear in the process. :thmbsp: So how ofter do you go thrifting?

About once a week, although I seldom come away with anything besides an occasional Lp/Cassette. But I've gotten my Ohm model L's, HH Scott S-14's and my Miracord 50H there.

I'm fortunate that the GW is right down the street from our house. If I gotta go out for something, anything...I stop in.

Me, never. The ones in my town (GW, SA) no longer accept or sell any electronics, and the LPs are just thrown in a pile in a corner, most without jackets.
Tom

I found my first sony turntable in excellent condition for one dollar and since I've found a few nice things.

The exception for example value village has been selling litterally junk for horrendous prices. There was one tape deck that had crud and rust as if it was left in the rain for a month for 30$
I've seen a used jigsaw with a price tag of 80$ when it sells new for 50$

I hit about five a day on my way home from work. Goodwill is big down here with over 50 stores in the Phoenix area. Lots of independent stores also.

There is some good fishing when the snowbirds visit in the winter. :)

My favorite Thrift Shop (where I got most of my gems) is no where near any of my homes, and I no longer travel as much as I used to.

Still, I travel a bit and I hit a shop about once a Quarter. You did not have any "Quarterly/Semi-Annual/Annual" choice so I did not vote.

They built a new GW about 10 minutes from my house so I stop in 2 or 3 times a week. It has been well worth it in components and media.

I try to do my Saturday errends, thrift stores, record store, cigar store, and liquor store every week or as much as wife and budget will allow.

On the weekends, I have been to the same GW 6 times on the SAME DAY! I have figured out the times they bring out the carts loaded. During the week, just 1 time per day. Still, it's all about timing. You can go 6 times on one day, and not find anything. Then just pop in just to "see", and find a treasure. (BTW, I go so often, I am on a first name basis with the staff, and the manager actually gave me a slice of carrot cake to eat in the store

I have quite a number of GWs,SAs and other Thrifts in my area. Almost all of them have yielded some gear or music over the years including a lot of the gear listed in my signature.

Interesting to see this poll resurface. 7+ years on I now rarely if ever go to the thrift store. Just too much digging for not much reward for me these days. I now much prefer estate sales but even with these I find that It is too easy to pick up something that you really don't need. I guess I have become more picky now that I have been collecting for a while.

Back
Top Bottom