How should i upgrade my dynaco st-70?

TankPopper

Hey guys.

after a few very enjoyable month with my ST-70 i have decided it is time to give it some serious tlc and an upgrade.

there are a few things im thinking about:

1) building it a new case by myself. i do need some form of CAD plans for the original if some on has them..

2) change the driver board. which one would you recommend the most?

3) change the output tubes. right now i use Fender brandad sylvanias but ive been eyeing the EH 6CA7 fat boys.

what do you guys think? any other mods i should consider?

thank you very much!
Tank out.

Hey guys.

after a few very enjoyable month with my ST-70 i have decided it is time to give it some serious tlc and an upgrade.

there are a few things im thinking about:

1) building it a new case by myself. i do need some form of CAD plans for the original if some on has them..

2) change the driver board. which one would you recommend the most?

3) change the output tubes. right now i use Fender brandad sylvanias but ive been eyeing the EH 6CA7 fat boys.

what do you guys think? any other mods i should consider?

thank you very much!
Tank out.

Alternative 1 seems to be a waste of time & effort, better sell the st-70 and buy new parts from [ hifi4tubes | dynakitparts | triode ] and build a brand new unit

2/ i vote for vta-70 from tubes4hifi

3/ no opinions here

Bob Latino ST-70

I'd start over. Bob's kit is still reasonably priced and it includes way beefier transformers which are the real money demons. The chassis is also a heavier gauge and all stainless.

This amp does not run out of gas. I use the Genalex reissued KT-88s and have no complaints.

I'd start over. Bob's kit is still reasonably priced and it includes way beefier transformers which are the real money demons. The chassis is also a heavier gauge and all stainless.

This amp does not run out of gas. I use the Genalex reissued KT-88s and have no complaints.

thats too much of an invetment right now.. i plan a much simpler move. but thank you for your feedback.

1) Do a search and see what others have done. There are some really nice home made chassis.

2) I use the diytube board and the vta-70 octal board in my ST-70's.

3) Gold Lion KT-77's with the diytube board and Psvane KT-88's with the vta-70 board.

If you haven't already done so, add the diodes to the rectifier socket.

1) Do a search and see what others have done. There are some really nice home made chassis.

2) I use the diytube board and the vta-70 octal board in my ST-70's.

3) Gold Lion KT-77's with the diytube board and Psvane KT-88's with the vta-70 board.

If you haven't already done so, add the diodes to the rectifier socket.

^THIS^

(I have the DIYTube board w/ Golden Lion KT-77s and it sounds fantastic)

I'd also suggest that Hammond Manufacturing makes some nice walnut-sided chassis if you want to build a new chassis for your amp. If the old chassis is in good shape, you could always sell it on Bartertown and make back some of what you spend on the new chassis. Also, replace the power transformer while you are at it as the stock PA-060 was under-engineered for the load being put on it.

Hammond: http://www.hammondmfg.com/HWCHAS.htm

-D

not sure i understand ..

can the ST-70 recieve kt88 tubes with the vta driver?
are you suggesting i let go of the recitifier tube and use a simple diode bridge isntead?

thank you

and one more thing.. making a new case is a walk in the park for me. i just build it in a CAD file and give it to a factory.. it takes about two weeks, i get it in any color i want and its still cheaper then any shelf product out there.. that why i thought about building a new case in the first place

not sure i understand ..

can the ST-70 recieve kt88 tubes with the vta driver?
are you suggesting i let go of the recitifier tube and use a simple diode bridge isntead?

thank you
No but an vta-70 can use kt88.
Difference is that an vta-70 ( from tubes4hifi) has a larger mains transformer that can supply the increased load.
That's why i recommended you to sell your st-70 "as is ", you can still get a decent amount if it's nt tampered with. Any "upgraded" st-70 will be more difficult to sell then an unmodified one.
The money from that sale will take you a good way with brand new parts.

Disassembling a st-70 in order to reuse transformers etc is a waste of resources.

Tank,

If your amp is 'stock', then IMHO the first and best thing you can do is upgrade the existing power supply. I'm not sure who all is making 'boards' these days, but I know Triode Electronics still sells the SDS boards. Dynakitparts.com may also have something. But, if you want to do your amp a HUGE favor (assuming it's still stock) then get rid of the multi-cap and install a modern filter board. This will also help any other driver board you may chose to install at a later date. But, were I on a budget and looking to improve a stock ST-70 for say under $100....I'd put in a good filter board unit, change to Solid State rectification and ditch the 5AR4 rectifier tube, and install a new set of the 4 coupling caps. I'd also make sure my driver and output tubes were 'good'.....and those Sylvania tubes are not bad at all! But, the ST-70 can eat up the 7199 driver tube....and it's known to get weak after years of use. Do NOT use the Sovtek version!! Find a good set of US 7199s, or do the 6GH8A conversion. That can be done simply by using the new socket converters available, but there is also a cap and resistor that should be changed on the driver board to 'optimize' the 6GH8 tube for it's use in the Dynaco circuit. If you're interested, PM me and I can supply you with further details. Finally, the EH Big Bottle tubes are wonderful! But, if your Sylvania tubes are still good...then don't discard them yet. The old US Sylvania tubes also sound pretty good. Compared to the EH tubes, I don't think you'd experience any real benefit unless your tubes are bad. On the other hand, if you can afford it...the best tube in a Dynaco ST-70 is still what they came with; the old Mullard EL34s. I don't think you'll find too many people that would disagree with that. Good luck!! Love your amp....and it will love you! (corny, eh?...lol) WC

There are so many choices out there. It's a major cottage industry. I'm going to be doing a ST-70 and a PAS 3 myself and eventually a SCA-35. I going to have fun.

well guys, ive placed the order for a new board from tubes4hifi with the upgraded pio caps and power caps.. the pimped out version!

now a few question regarding all your feedback:

1) ive been told that a rectifier tube is always better.. does the diode bridge really sound better?
2) my multy section cap has been replaced with the seperate ones by the previous owner (who know's he's way around ST-70's). is this enough or should i do anything extra to the power supply? in other words' what is a modern filter board? (sorry for the dumb question here..).
3) i plan on getting a new power transformer that runs on a 230v grid.. that upgrade will be about six months from now so i guess ill take care of the entire power supply then. anything else i should do to it? any link available with a detailed breakdown of such an upgrade?

thanks a million guys! dont know what i would have done without you!

p.s
i love my dyna :)

ok, i just gave the sds board from triode electronics a look.. i think ill get it when i get the new transfromer.. but is it really neccesary given the power supply caps are new? would a modern filter still be in order?

i think its time for some nudies...

here comes the nudies!

IMG_20131011_220816.jpg

IMG_20140128_150850.jpg

IMG_20140128_150939.jpg

IMG_20140128_150921.jpg

IMG_20140128_150904.jpg

IMG_20140128_150930.jpg

IMG_20140128_150912.jpg

IMG_20140128_150917.jpg

what do you think?

Tank,

Let me address your last question first: Both Triode Electronics and Dynakitparts.com offer power transformers that have 230V primary windings. They come with appropriate wiring diagrams. It's simply the addition of a tap that allows you to run the same secondary windings at a greater primary voltage and still retain all the original secondary specs....which is what the amp runs on; the B+, the bias, and the heater windings.

As to your questions 1 and 2, here's my take on it: The solid state rectifier will deliver more voltage due to it's reduced voltage drop. So, the increase in voltage amounts to a bit more potential power from the amp. Then you have the question of Power Supply Filters.....or what I guess in your case are the separate caps installed somewhere along the line to replace the multi-cap. Generally speaking, when the original power supply multi-cap is replaced, it's done with something either 'stock', or with an upgrade. If 'stock'...then you have some voltage limitations where the use of a solid state rectifier may create some problems.....like filter cap failure. However, if the Power Supply (PS) filter section was upgraded....to a voltage level of 550 volts or more....then the use of a Solid State (SS) rectifier may be possible without any problems resulting from the increase in voltage.

One of the weak points in the Dynaco ST-70 design was that the PS filter section ran right on the edge...as did the Power Transformer (PT) itself. You'll find much discussion about replacing original PTs with upgraded replacements. This is due mostly to the fact that the current draw on the original based on it's specifications would cause that thing to run pretty hot. That heat has been the cause of a good many failures along the way. Thus when you 'upgrade' to your 230 volt version, you'll be likely getting one that will also run cooler....which is a 'plus' for the entire unit.

As to the SS rectifier vs the Tube rectifier....in the case of the 5AR4, the difference in voltage isn't quite as bad as with others. The voltage drop on a 5AR4 is about 17 volts.....vs the SS 'diodes' which will drop only about 1.5 to 2. So, your PS filter section does need to be stout enough to take this slight increase....though many have run the original 525 can cap with SS rectifiers and not suffered greatly. I fear that, and at minimum, unless you've upgraded to the newer can caps that run 550 volts with a surge of 600.....I think you're 'at risk' running a SS rectifier. HOWEVER, if you've got individual caps in your unit, you may find that it's been set up such that the voltage level may be upwards of 700...which is what the boards are usually good for. This makes running a SS rectifier no problem at all. But, it may be better than that.......

In the case of most filter cap replacements in the ST-70, there is generally either the motive of either 'repair'....using an original to replace a failed original, or 'upgrade'. When upgrading, not only is the issue of voltage capability addressed, but so is 'capacity' as well. Many of these filter boards, as well as some of the newer multi-caps, will add a greater 'uf' capability.....which increases the voltage reserve in the filter section. With this comes the ability to reproduce transient passages in your music with a greater potential for 'less' distortion due to lack of voltage...particularly if played loud. This is commonly referred to as 'more head room'.

So, from my perspective, I prefer the combination of enhanced filter section with the solid state rectifier. To me, it just gives the amp more dynamic capability....better 'bass' response...more head room, and greater power overall. I do NOT find any detriment in doing this. In other words, I don't hear any 'white noise' of 'transistor hiss' or any of the other drawbacks often mentioned in these discussions. But, that's just me. I will mention that there IS one drawback that I do acknowledge...which is that of having the full voltage potential of the power supply hit the tubes as soon as the 'on' switch is flipped. If you're concerned about 'cathode stripping' from that, then you might want to stick with a tube rectifier.....or install a 'standby' switch, or some kind of 'soft-start' mechanism. I personally don't worry about it. Fisher for one built nearly all their units with solid state rectification....including the venerable 400, 500, and 800 series of receivers....as well as their integrated amps. To my knowledge, I've never heard of complaints about that design as related to tube failure from cathode stripping due to SS rectifiers. IMHO!!

But, this is the 'fun' of an ST-70. You get to play around with it, experiment on it, learn from it....and in the end, form you own opinions. Then you can get on AK here and assert your point of view with authority!!......lol.

Good luck............ Tom D.

Last edited:
thank you so much Wharfcreek!! that was exactly the in depth explanation i needed!

my conclusion right now is that ill finish this current upgrade with the tubes4hifi driver board, let it break in and then start thinking about how im going to deal with the power supply. i dont want to do to many moves at once.. this proved in the past to be a mistake.

one thing i will do for sure is get a new PT.

Wharfcreek, i would love to get you feedback on the state of my amp (as much as you can from the pictures i posted...)

personaly, i was quite please when i opend it today. it seems to be in very good shape, alot of parts are new and from good quality. it seems the Selenium rectefier upgrade was done also.

Back
Top Bottom