How Time Flies. Or How Audiogon Is a Show of Itself

Mister Pig

Pigamus Maximus
I decided to pop over to Audiogon and take a look at what was around. As many people have said, I am not a fan of the latest series of changes that have gone on. To my surprise, my last transaction there was 2013! Amazing, when I remember using the site at least every few months. Audiogon was my go to website for used audio purchases, and I bought and sold a fair amount of gear there. And now it seems stagnant, neglected, and the inhabitants are semi professional audio resellers. Which is a real shame, as the site seemed to have a decent level of trust and accountability. Not perfect mind you, but I only had one sketchy deal there the whole time I used it.

Now days it seems that US Audio Mart is the hot spot for used audio gear sales. It seems to work all right, but I have never gotten the same feel of trust and community that I had with Audiogon. But it is what we got, and so that is where I look these days. Hobbyists make up the majority of the members it seems, and most folks are good to deal with. But I have always felt I have to be on my hooves, keeping my piggy senses at full scam alert.

It's just my opinion that its a darn shame that Audiogon went the way it did. Hobbyists lost a good resource there.

Regards
Mister Pig

I still check out Audiogon regularly every day. If I'm looking for a certain piece of gear, I like to use the search function on the brand that I'm after and see what shows up. I agree that I was a bit unhappy with the format change but it seems like they have it running pretty smooth now or at least I have gotten used to the new format.

I also use US Audio Mart as well, doing Google searches often bring up Audio Mart references.

But recently I have been in a selling mode trying to clear the house out and gain funds to buy quality instead of quantity. For that I use the old standby Craigslist.

Not knocking Audiogon in any way (I have bought and sold stuff there before), but I never really go there anymore. It has kind of turned into a market for professional or semi-professional dealers, rather than just audio enthusiasts, and unless you are buying something like an interconnect or power cord, the "cost of admission" has gotten kind of out of control--everything starts at $1K and goes up from there. Not knocking anyone in that market (I just got my Krells out of the closet and fired them up), but it just doesn't seem to be for the "average Joe" anymore.

I've sold on Audiogon since its inception. Used to be that if you put equipment up at a good price, it would be gone in a few days. Now, it's a low-ballers' paradise.
I have put up gear at great prices only to get the most ridiculous offers imaginable. I just don't bother anymore.

I was a daily visitor and bought a lot of "stuff", from my Krell FPB 300 to scads of great vinyl there.

Then they screwed the pooch....as well as you and me.
I visit periodically, but it certainly is a shame there's not much to see.
It was wonderful while it lasted.

Ive bought and sold stuff on US audiomart and Canada audiomart. No issues and most imoortantly no fees. Perhaps thats why Agon transactions are not as active as they used to be in its heyday.

I don't go there as much as I used to. All the gear seems so boutique-like, instead of more accessible stuff that I'm after. I much prefer Canuckaudiomart.

Just checked, last time I was active there was 2013. But then I am pretty happy with what I have and US Audiomart works well as does AudioAsylum Trader.

I used to like to do local searches especially for deals on speakers. Just did that again and 80% of the speaker ads within 100 miles are from two local very hi end dealers.

We were at Axpona one year and they had these very attractive ladies soliciting folks to sign up for the new AudioGon. That is kind of what the site reminds me of now, flash and bling.

I just bought my preamp off of there. Bought from an individual. It was an above average transaction. Probably the best communication I've ever had.

I've bought and sold on Audiogon. My buy side transactions have all been outstanding, Only one flakey buyer.
Way too many ads for ridiculously expensive cables. Still a good place if you're on the hunt for hard to find items.
Very good tech info from a small circle of posters also.

Oh Audiogon is still relevant in the used market, but it used to be the gold standard for buying and selling. I certainly have no qualms about them making money. I remember when ads were free, then $2 an ad. I had no problem with $4 an ad either. But when they decided they needed an additional % of the sale price for my equipment, I decided to look at other selling alternatives. With that change they killed the traffic from the regular hobbyist, and that means I got far less looks for my ad price plus %. I would agree that it is still a less expensive way to sell gear than say consignment at a brick and mortar dealer. But then you are doing the volume of work, writing the ad, taking photos, doing the shipping, taking risk on a bad sale. They basically provide a framework, and I don't see where that earns the %. In the halcyon days of the early to mid 2000's you could pretty much count on an item selling in a week or less if the price was fair and condition was good. The used audio market was dynamic and vibrant, full of regular hobbyists. Now it seems the higher percentage of sellers are small dealers. And USAudiomart has not seemed to capture the same vibe as the Gon had back in those days.

Regards
Mister Pig

eBay is the new Audiogon's business role model. All my equipment purchases over the past year were off USAudiomart. The whole aftermarket vibe has been on the wane for a few years.

Last edited:
I need two mono block tube amps that produce some wattage and Audiogon is where I see them for sell on occasion, so when the time comes I will probably use their site.

At one time Audiogon was a good place to find used audio equipment. Now it looks like a venue for dealers to push trade-ins and floor models. God help you if you think they will budge on price.

Time for the powers here to put some thought into upgrading Bartertown as a separate site with a few more bells and whistles for customer/seller convenience ... opportunity knocks!

Hell, base it on Audiogon's old model. <G>

Audiogon used to be the first place I'd look for used gear. They were good at policing their site when notified of suspect listings.

Audiogon used to be the first place I'd look for used gear. They were good at policing their site when notified of suspect listings.

Me too-it was once a great place, then the owners thought they could make it more profitable and totally shot themselves in the foot!
About the same time, they made a big server/program change and the site was basically dead for some time.
There's an old thread about it somewhere here. People were wondering if it had ceased to exist-at least that's my memory.

Back
Top Bottom