How to clean a tuner (analog)

Hi Dr. Audio,

The tuning shaft on my FM tuner is somewhat stiff to turn. What do you recommend for cleaning, lubricating shaft & bearing assembly?
The shaft has a gear attached to it that engages another gear attached to the tuning capacitor.

Thanks,
John
Oil the shaft that the knob is on, oil everything that turns with the knob, including the dial cord pulleys. I use DuPont Oil with Teflon or Triflow.

I touched the fins with contact cleaner! Now I wish I hadn't as it caused my Luxman T-110 tuner to stop receiving entirely. After a day or so it resumed working properly. Lesson learned!

Cool! Great thread. I did not know the fins were that sensitive; nor about the D5. the 100% is good, on the tuner gangs, then, but not the D5? correct? I have apparently been lucky, with a more aggressive approach, but I am cautious, just learning new tricks, for this 'ol Dog.

Outside of using compressed air, there's no advantage to doing more. You're apt to damage the plates. Going any further is not a DIY job. Pro alignments can be costly. Invest in a multi element Yagi antenna for the roof or attic. That will give give you unparalleled enjoyment. I have zero interest in HOAs & pity for those living in a converted missile silo in Wyoming or elsewhere.

Cool! Great thread. I did not know the fins were that sensitive; nor about the D5. the 100% is good, on the tuner gangs, then, but not the D5? correct? I have apparently been lucky, with a more aggressive approach, but I am cautious, just learning new tricks, for this 'ol Dog.
Neither is good, please re-read carefully.

I do not have green oxidation on the brass contacts of my tuning cap. There's some kind of grease in there instead (tried to take a couple photos but it's not showing up well). My issues are that the tuning dial is off by about 1MHz from the actual station frequency and some stations that should not be weak are weak, and am wondering if this cleaning method will fix the issue, or if I need something more technical? I have a can of this stuff, which I understand is the correct non-residue cleaner, correct? I read this whole post from the beginning and see people causing more problems than before their cleaning (many times this is their own fault because they didn't follow Dr.Audio's directions) and wanted to double check here before I try to clean. I only have normal Deoxit and Deoxit Gold, not the Faderlube, so would have to buy a can.

Attachments

• IMG_0673.JPG
    IMG_0673.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0676.JPG
    IMG_0676.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 112
I do not have green oxidation on the brass contacts of my tuning cap. There's some kind of grease in there instead (tried to take a couple photos but it's not showing up well). My issues are that the tuning dial is off by about 1MHz from the actual station frequency and some stations that should not be weak are weak, and am wondering if this cleaning method will fix the issue, or if I need something more technical? I have a can of this stuff, which I understand is the correct non-residue cleaner, correct? I read this whole post from the beginning and see people causing more problems than before their cleaning (many times this is their own fault because they didn't follow Dr.Audio's directions) and wanted to double check here before I try to clean. I only have normal Deoxit and Deoxit Gold, not the Faderlube, so would have to buy a can.
That cleaner should be ok to use but use with adequate ventilation. Do not use normal DeOxit, use Faderlube. Only on the contacts. The tuning error can be adjusted by calibrating the LO frequency. The insensitivity is probably caused by misalignment of the rf circuitry. It requires specialized equipment, do not attempt to align it yourself. Cleaning is the first step. If it doesn't cure the issues, find a tech with rf alignment experience.

I have a Technics SA-404 receiver that the tuner doesn't receive any stations on the lower half of the dial. When I get to where stations are, the signal meter goes to full strength even without an antenna connected but there is no station there, just silence.

Get up to about 98 on the dial and all the stations are there as expected, pretty accurate too, as far as the dial to station number goes.

Thinking this is more involved than just a few drops of DeOxit...

I have a Technics SA-404 receiver that the tuner doesn't receive any stations on the lower half of the dial. When I get to where stations are, the signal meter goes to full strength even without an antenna connected but there is no station there, just silence.

Get up to about 98 on the dial and all the stations are there as expected, pretty accurate too, as far as the dial to station number goes.

Thinking this is more involved than just a few drops of DeOxit...
This is a symptom of the tuner needing cleaned.

Not an analog tuner but digital tuner problem. Hoping someone could help out with my NAD 4225 tuner.

FM working fine but get no sound or static from AM setting despite being set on a station. I put a basic copper wire in AM antennae plug and still no sound or indication it is trying to find AM station.

Any ides what problem could be?

thanks

Not an analog tuner but digital tuner problem. Hoping someone could help out with my NAD 4225 tuner.

FM working fine but get no sound or static from AM setting despite being set on a station. I put a basic copper wire in AM antennae plug and still no sound or indication it is trying to find AM station.

Any ides what problem could be?

thanks
You need a real AM loop antenna. Search the internet for how to make one, it's easy.

hi dr audio. didn't seem to work. found a loop antennae (basic black loop ring that came with a Panasonic stereo) and plugged in back in AM plug and made no difference. still just silence with not static or sound .

hi dr audio. didn't seem to work. found a loop antennae (basic black loop ring that came with a Panasonic stereo) and plugged in back in AM plug and made no difference. still just silence with not static or sound .
In that case it sounds like there is a problem with the AM rf circuits. Specialized test equipment is needed to service it.

Back
Top Bottom