How to get the best sound possible out of these vintage Circle of Sound babies

DB;

Dang! I bought one of those without the radio as my first stereo in '68 or '69. 'Still have it. I thought the world of the omnis.

I'm curious, I'm going to keep an eye on this thread.

Lu.

Dang! I bought one of those without the radio as my first stereo in '68 or '69. 'Still have it. I thought the world of the omnis.
Lu.

Ever take one of those speakers apart to have a look inside? I'm still trying to figure out how to get into them without damaging or destroying the bottom plates.

Just spitballin' here. Would a downward facing woofer out the bottom and a dome or other type tweeter out the top possibly work?

Yer gonna need all the volume you can get in those little cabinets. Just hide your powered sub under something or in a corner.
Also, that thing will not have anywhere near enough power to drive a woofer.
Pretty much all powered subs that have speaker level inputs have a high pass filter for the satellites. You'll want to use it. You'll get way cleaner sound from what is probably at best a 5wpc amplifier.

Okay, I got one apart. Here's how: I wrapped some cord around the speaker wire racks in a figure 8 to make a handle that I could get a halfways decent purchase on and pulled like hell. It worked but I had to give it a damn good pull to get it out!

View media item 12156
When I got the bottom off this is what I found:

View media item 12157
I removed the insulation puck out of the bottom and this is what there was:

View media item 12158
I took out that inch thick insulation blanket and this what there was:

View media item 12159
The driver is 6.5" in diameter. The inside diameter of the enclosure is pretty much 8-3/8". The inside diameter of the plywood ring at the base of the speaker is 7-1/8" or maybe 7-3/16". It could certainly be enlarged some to allow a bigger driver to be passed through.

The vertical height from the base of the plywood that the driver is mounted to to the base (top in this picture) of the plywood ring is about 5-3/4". We don't have a lot of volume to work with.

So this is what we have to work with. Okay, people let's work the problem. ;-)

I'm not an expert on speaker design so I have to ask what we could possibly gain or lose in bass response by adding a vent to the enclosure? And this may also be a stupid question but it's worth it to ask: What about a coax or full range out the top and a passive radiator out the bottom? What effect would that have? Again, forgive me these are stupid questions.

That's perfect for some nice 6-1/2" two way car speakers. MB Quart, Focal, Kenwood, Pioneer, the selection is huge.
Port, don't port ( a passive radiator is essentially the same thing as a port), doesn't matter. You will need a powered sub. Period.
You asked for serious advice, I'm giving it.

Just spitballin' here. Would a downward facing woofer out the bottom and a dome or other type tweeter out the top possibly work?
I answered this question in my first response...

If you're really serious about this, 'tarrior' offers solid advice. Porting the cabinet will require a bigger cabinet.
Find some car speakers or full range drivers from Parts Express that will work in a cab that size and add a sub,
preferably one that goes a bit high, maybe 150 hz, placed between the two speakers and you might have a decent system.

Maintain a sealed alignment. It was chosen for good reasons, imo.

One thing you haven't told us is how they sound as they are now? Have you listened to them? I would think that placement is paramount to achieving a satisfactory result. Have you experimented with placement any?

Is the disperser stalactite (my terminology :rolleyes:) rigid and non-absorbing?

How they sound as-is might affect your goals and choices...

I had a pair of those long ago...I took em apart and put a pair of Kraco 6.5" car speakers in them. They sounded OK....That has been a long time ago!

I wouldn't assume the drivers are poor quality; might be that all the speakers need is a sub and better source and amplification.
Excellent point. My father in law had minimus 7's plugged into his all-in-one stereo and of course they sounded like crap.
Recently picked up a pair cause they were cheap and tried them with my Technics receiver, difference was night and day.
Maybe the OP needs to try some better speakers with the system, or a better system with the speakers to see if it makes much of a difference, before investing any more time and money into the project.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom