(HOW TO) Turning a Pogoplug E02 into a music player.

My RPi 2 has been rock solid though I am not using picoreplayer. I installed Raspian with NOOBS and installed squeezelite myself.

My pogos have been rock solid too except when I mess with them. I have had to unbrick twice.

Overall I have been very happy with my pogos and the RPi 2 as music players. Now if I can only leave well enough alone. :D

My RPi 2 has been rock solid though I am not using picoreplayer. I installed Raspian with NOOBS and installed squeezelite myself.

My pogos have been rock solid too except when I mess with them. I have had to unbrick twice.

Overall I have been very happy with my pogos and the RPi 2 as music players. Now if I can only leave well enough alone. :D

Yeah messing with stuff always gets me in trouble. I have a cubiebox that I use for a fileserver, openvpn server, madsonic, etc ... and I hadn't updated it for a while. Well last week I couldn't leave well enough alone and the kernel update screwed the whole pooch. Had to start over. Good part is that I have screwed up enough that doing a restart typically doesn't take me very long anymore.

Both of my Pogos have been rock solid for quite awhile now. So glad I found this thread, my Pi's as well as my Squeezebox are long gone.

Hi folks...I realize I am bringing back a thread that has been dormant for quite some time, but I'm not sure there is a better place to ask for help (or at least to ask where that better place is). I'm attempting to use a Pogoplug V4-A1-05 with a Behringer UCA200 as a squeezelite player - connected via ethernet and playing off of LMS on my desktop computer. I initially followed the tutorial on Quy's blog, and during my troubleshooting also tried some of the subtle differences in the writeup at the beginning of this thread. In short I'm getting choppy playback...lower bitrate mp3s (<256) don't suffer too much, but 320kbps skip quite a bit and FLAC files are basically unplayable. Currently for all songs it seems like the playback slider goes from 0:00 to 0:10, then back to 0:01 at which point the song starts playing, and then soon after starts stuttering. I've tried fiddling with the buffer size a little, and some of the other command line options for squeezelite, but I'm at a bit of a loss, and am not familiar enough with linux to have a good idea how to systematically troubleshoot from here.

I am using a pogo V4-A3-01 with a Behringer UCA-202 DAC. Here is my squeezelite.service file:

Code:
[Unit]
Description=Squeezelite lightweight headless squeezebox emulator
After=sound.target
Requires=avahi-daemon.service
After=network.target
After=avahi-daemon.service

[Timer]
OnStartupSec=25

[Service]
User=loren
ExecStart=/usr/local/bin/squeezelite -o front:CARD=CODEC,DEV=0 -n Garrett -a 160 -m 00:87:32:92:03:80
Restart=always

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

-o = the behringer UCA-202 DAC
-n = the name of the player to show up in LMS
-a = the buffer amount
-m = the MAC address of the wireless USB dongle

I hope this helps. I have no issues with stuttering.

I am using a pogo V4-A3-01 with a Behringer UCA-202 DAC. Here is my squeezelite.service file:

I hope this helps. I have no issues with stuttering.

Thanks Idatlof. I checked my .service file and it was pretty similar...I did try changing some of the squeezeplay startup options to match yours just for humor, but it didn't seem to make any difference. Just out of curiosity, are you running Debian or Archlinux? I'm wondering if during the hours I spent tinkering with the wireless network card that I messed up something with the audio. In any case I think my next most logical step is to reinstall a flavor of linux and just try again from the beginning.

I am running archlinux.
Well a big thanks to you, and to KOWHeigel for all of the work the two of you did throughout this thread. I decided to have another go at fixing up my pogo music player tonight, and somehow got things working. I reinstalled squeezelite as a regular user (i.e. not root), along with all of the various packages installed during the walkthrough, which didn't seem to change anything. I added in the network performance tweaks covered here (since my problems seemed bitrate dependent and i am hardwired). I then ran squeezelite while cherry picking various parameters from the KOWHeigel's command in the walkthrough and the command in your squeezelite.service file. After all that I've been able to play through a whole bunch of songs without a hiccup. It was a little frustrating that I've had no trouble playing FLAC on a 700mhz Pentium 3 laptop with 128MB of ram connected wirelessly the whole time I fiddled with this pogoplug, but this is a much less visually obtrusive solution and I'm psyched to be done messing with it for a while.

Back
Top Bottom