How to use a equalizer as loudness-filter?

Schroinx

I often find myself listening to music at very low levels, as it makes my neighbors a lot more happy But obviously it becomes a bit boring to listen to. I remember that the amps would have a loudness function for that, that would reduce the midtones and amplify the higs and lows, as that supposedly was what was missing a low volumes. I have a 7- channel equalizer, a Sony SEQ-711 that should be able to perform the task.
How do I set it to reflect what the loudness filter do?

I often find myself listening to music at very low levels, as it makes my neighbors a lot more happy But obviously it becomes a bit boring to listen to. I remember that the amps would have a loudness function for that, that would reduce the midtones and amplify the higs and lows, as that supposedly was what was missing a low volumes. I have a 7- channel equalizer, a Sony SEQ-711 that should be able to perform the task.
Not the way to use an EQ, but, do it the easy way and just slide the 1k slider down to taste.

Not the way to use an EQ, but, do it the easy way and just slide the 1k slider down to taste.
Excellent point, drumbum. This is the way I would approach it - ie, pulling down on the mids (not specifically at 1kHz, but in that range - you'll have to experiment) rather than boosting the other extremes. You are probably going to end up with a smiley-faced shape due to the nature of things, but with the extremes zeroed instead of boosted, you'll less likely expose the amps to extra power demands, and the up-stream, post-eq components to distortion-inducing levels. When you turn up the volume, of course, you'll simply switch the eq out of the system.

GeeDeeEmm

Pretty much everything stated is "somewhat accurate"--the loudness control is basically the equivalent of the "DJ Smile" that you often see on EQs. The most important part is to use the EQ to reduce certain mid-range bands, NOT just boosting the hell out of the bass and treble frequencies. Buy a Yamaha with variable loudness control! :thumbsup:

There isn't an auto-destruct circuit on your EQ, is there? I wish the manufacturers would just leave those off.
Just fiddle around with the EQ, with the system volume set low, until you get the sound you like. Apparently, you already have a general idea of what you need to do.

Last edited:
Most loudness contours use the Fletcher-Munson curve. As it varies with level, pick a level and follow the blue curve to match.

For example, if you listen at around a 60 db average level, (get a free smartphone based SPL app if you don't have one) start boosting the low end by about 4 db at 200 hz, 10 db at 100 hz and up to 20 db at 20 hz. At the other end, begin around 6 kHz with about 5 db and 12 db at 10 kHz.

Season to taste.

fm.png

For example, if you listen at around a 60 db average level, (get a free smartphone based SPL app if you don't have one) start boosting the low end by about 4 db at 200 hz, 10 db at 100 hz and up to 20 db at 20 hz. At the other end, begin around 6 kHz with about 5 db and 12 db at 10 kHz.

As the general, fixed rule, wrong!

If you listen electro-acoustically, for example, at 60…65 dB, to a tender woman's voice which sounds NATURALLY at 60…65 dB, there should be NO loudness compensation.

The “20…700 Hz” range is to boost (only when the listener wishes it, sure) very differently, according to the difference between the NATURAL maximal sound pressure level of a natural sound source and its maximal sound pressure level chosen for listening to this exact sound source electro-acoustically!

If you listen electro-acoustically, for example, at 60…65 dB, to a tender woman's voice which sounds NATURALLY at 60…65 dB, there should be NO loudness compensation.
As for me, I always find loudness compensation circuits to sound artificial.

The button doesn't understand what you just described. :)

As for me, I always find loudness compensation circuits to sound artificial.
The nature of loudness compensation itself is to be activated, when a listener wishes it, right at ARTIFICIAL sound pressure levels chosen on electro-acoustics to listen to natural sound sources. When the sound is always “artificial”.
The button doesn't understand what you just described
That’s why “the button” never can serve the purpose of proper loudness compensation.

Have to admit, I'm intrigued by the Yamaha variable loudness contour. Does anybody know if that boosts bass & treble ranges, or drops mid-level? What exactly does it do?

IMO/E the only loudness controls that have the slightest chance of providing correct compensation are the variable type as on most newer Yamaha integrated amplifiers. With them you use the volume control to set the loudest level you listen. The loudness control is used to lower the volume from that level.

There really isn't much if any difference between boosting bass and treble and attenuating the midrange. The results are exactly the same.

I have found the Yamaha variable loudness useful for listening at low levels, which surprised me. I never liked any one-button, on-off loudness control I ever tried (and I tried many), with the possible exception of the old NAD Bass EQ control, which wasn't a loudness contour. So I do like the Yamaha implementation better than any other loudness control I ever tried.

The Fletcher-Munson curve does not boost the high end. Its based on studies that involve hearing bass tones at low volume levels. I would suggest boosting the the lowest slider on your EQ about 6 to 8 db and the one next to it about 4db. See how that sounds to you.

Have to admit, I'm intrigued by the Yamaha variable loudness contour. Does anybody know if that boosts bass & treble ranges, or drops mid-level? What exactly does it do?
IMO/E the only loudness controls that have the slightest chance of providing correct compensation are the variable type as on most newer Yamaha integrated amplifiers. With them you use the volume control to set the loudest level you listen. The loudness control is used to lower the volume from that level.
Right.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Yam...BAgGEAE&biw=1280&bih=900#imgrc=fVi0MdhHlCqEBM:

There really isn't much if any difference between boosting bass and treble and attenuating the midrange. The results are exactly the same.
The results in the spectrum are the same.

But a deep Yamaha continuously variable Loudness control enabled lowers substantially the “initial” (before activating the Loudness control) sensitivity of the amp/receiver.
The Fletcher-Munson curve…
I could only repeat what I said above:
Nowadays, I’d say it’s very disputable to refer to the 1933 ”equal-loudness contours”, revised in 1956 and 2003. Especially by the fact that the 2003 curves are notably presented in red on the diagram cited.

To read more on the ”equal-loudness contours” (with the “Useful Links”):
http://www.lindos.co.uk/cgi-bin/FlexiData.cgi?SOURCE=Articles&VIEW=full&id=17

But you are right that according to the ”equal-loudness contours”, the loudness compensation is NOT needed concerning the high frequencies in the normal listening SPL range. But the highs are progressively boosted by the loudness compensation controls to avoid their masking by the ambient noise in the listening room.

I would suggest boosting the lowest slider on your EQ about 6 to 8 db and the one next to it about 4db.
Wrong.

I could only repeat what I said above:
The “20…700 Hz” range is to boost (only when the listener wishes it, sure) very differently, according to the difference between the NATURAL maximal sound pressure level of a natural sound source and its maximal sound pressure level chosen for listening to this exact sound source electro-acoustically!

Back
Top Bottom