How would you build a giant killer system with a $5000 budget?

I'd buy efficient speakers so I wouldn't have to invest in big power. Then I would look for great integrated amp. A turn table with a linear arm would be my next choice. Then would come a CD player. Then I would buy an Apple TV to wirelessly connect my Computer to the pre-amp via a DAC. If I had any money left over I would want a mini DSP to smooth out the speaker response in my room. I'd start with a Pair of Cornwall's, A Mac 6200 or some thing more recent. Just for looks I'd buy a MVP 861. The Dac would be the hard choice. And older Thorens 125 or 126 might work with a Rabco arm. Phono cartridge would be another hard decision.

Funny this thread just came up, as it's (sort of) what I am trying to do with my next system. From conversing with other AK members, and a little research of my own, this is what I have come up with:
For media, I have to cheat a little and use what I already have, which comes to under $500;
Technics QD33 with Ortofon 320P
Generic tablet with PowerAmp and a 1TB HDD connected via FX Audio DAC X6

Now on to the FUN stuff!

Tekton Double Impacts $3000
DartZeel NHB108 "copy" $700
Kondo M77 "study" $600 (Hope it's not considered cheating to build a kit)

I'm hoping to get away with 12AX7's in the M77 clone. I can get an octet of Gold Lion reissues for $265

Total comes to $4665. That leaves $300 for the Tekton cap upgrade for the DI's.

While it might not best a $50k system, I bet it would qualify for the "Damn, that sounds pretty good!" category.

I'd get some ELAC AIR-X or some Genelec Ones (the big ones) and done. Probably the Genelecs. Then I'd spend the rest on room treatment.

I think intent of OP using the "giant killer "term is, great value. Perhaps sounding better (to the OP) than a system that cost a lot more .
While I know we can't agree how much one should spend on a system, I strongly suspect we can agree there are pieces that are very expensive that don't sound as good as other pieces at the same price point. And..... there are pieces that are less expensive that perform better than other pieces at their given price point.
Throw in a little synergy and personal taste and I don't think the question is absurd within that context. I'm not implying world beater status. More so , audio nirvana on a budget.
YMMV

Now I could certainly put together a very nice digital system for that price (provided it's in US dollars at US rather than Aussie pricing). Though frankly it's just not possible to get vinyl to the same level without significantly more money. It's better to get one thing right than everything sub-optimal.

Gieseler Klein DAC III, USB version + M18PSU Kraftwerk PSU upgrade - $667 USD
Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL 2 including NOS tubes, Linear PSU + remote control - $2,140 USD
Klipsch Cornwall Speakers (used) - $1,500 USD
Van Damme 2x2.5m 6mm LC-OFC speaker wire terminated with banana plugs - $70 USD
Litz copper RCA's 1x 0.5m pair $144 USD

That's it. $4,521 all up. This would be absolutely spectacular with digital content with enough left over for a notebook computer and JRIVER. ;)

If you want LP's to perform at the same level you need significantly more than that just for table cartridge , phono, SUT, interconnects etc. I'm not saying that it wouldn't sound good, it's just more expensive is all and absolutely not worthwhile trying to fit into a $5k budget.

Sure, this would be pretty spectacular sounding though I'm pretty much 100% that if you do your research and spend 50k you could better it.... Particularly in terms of speakers, the DAC could be the TOTL Gross DAC..... Yeah. It may slay a few giants, though not most.... Besides, I'd want a decent vinyl rig and that's just not possible to a level I'd be satisfied with for that cost.

Funny this thread just came up, as it's (sort of) what I am trying to do with my next system. From conversing with other AK members, and a little research of my own, this is what I have come up with:
For media, I have to cheat a little and use what I already have, which comes to under $500;
Technics QD33 with Ortofon 320P
Generic tablet with PowerAmp and a 1TB HDD connected via FX Audio DAC X6

Now on to the FUN stuff!

Tekton Double Impacts $3000
DartZeel NHB108 "copy" $700
Kondo M77 "study" $600 (Hope it's not considered cheating to build a kit)

I'm hoping to get away with 12AX7's in the M77 clone. I can get an octet of Gold Lion reissues for $265

Total comes to $4665. That leaves $300 for the Tekton cap upgrade for the DI's.

While it might not best a $50k system, I bet it would qualify for the "Damn, that sounds pretty good!" category.

Very very nice. I'll be keen to hear all about this one ;)

Last edited:
Hi all. I am guilty of watching youtube videos about audio.
I have seen several comments saying things as to the effect of, speeding anything over $5000 is a waste of money. One thing I do not see is anyone explaining how they have assembled a complete system with in that budget that competes with the mega dollar systems.
I haven't seen those same comments. Are they really saying that $5000 will buy all the performance available in today's market, or are they thinking that $5000 will buy enough performance that anyone should be willing to be satisfied with it?

This is purely for discussion.
Let's say the room is 14x18 feet with 8 foot ceiling,sheetrock,carpet flooring with normal furniture. Room treatments consist of 2 bass traps.
To make this easier budget does not have to cover tax or shipping. Budget doesn't have to cover basic cables of the non exotic nature. Pricing does have to reflect current prices though,So no Krells found at goodwill!
I hope this makes for a fun topic :)
Rega Planar 6 with Exact 2 cartridge ($1995)
Rega Brio integrated amp ($995)
Dynaudio Emit M10 speakers ($799)
Dynaudio Stand 10 ($399)

I haven't seen those same comments. Are they really saying that $5000 will buy all the performance available in today's market, or are they thinking that $5000 will buy enough performance that anyone should be willing to be satisfied with it?

Rega Planar 6 with Exact 2 cartridge ($1995)
Rega Brio integrated amp ($995)
Dynaudio Emit M10 speakers ($799)
Dynaudio Stand 10 ($399)
It's espoused a LOT over on the Reddit audiophile forums. They are pretty much of the opinion that all amps sound the same and the flatter the speaker the better. And that all that can be achieved with DSP so anything over $5k for a DAC, amp, and speakers, is a waste of money. Of course, a few people pop up who have actually SPENT more than that, and they insist it's$10k where you really are just splitting hairs above.

It's mostly a case of; "About double what I have now is the limit of what anyone should spend".
But then, they also crap on the idea of anybody using vinyl because "it's against the principals of audiophilia, as it's choosing a lesser format based purely on nostalgia".

So make of their opinions what you will.

It's espoused a LOT over on the Reddit audiophile forums. They are pretty much of the opinion that all amps sound the same and the flatter the speaker the better. And that all that can be achieved with DSP so anything over $5k for a DAC, amp, and speakers, is a waste of money. Of course, a few people pop up who have actually SPENT more than that, and they insist it's$10k where you really are just splitting hairs above.

It's mostly a case of; "About double what I have now is the limit of what anyone should spend".
But then, they also crap on the idea of anybody using vinyl because "it's against the principals of audiophilia, as it's choosing a lesser format based purely on nostalgia".

So make of their opinions what you will.
Differing opinions are what make a hobby forum fun. My own bias is continuing to agree with what Martin Colloms once wrote for Stereophile, "From my experience of more than 250 digital products, coherent, expressive, naturally explosive dynamics and the ability to present good musical pace and a confident, upbeat rhythm are areas in which digital is surprisingly weak." A digital source or introducing digital processing can only lessen the quality of sound I expect. Of course, people can make of my opinion what they will. . .

That is the gist of it. Please keep in mine this is not my personal quote. I don't know if it could be done.I have heard a few systems at and above 50,000. My system already past the $5000 point is not in the running.

I like vinyl because it is almost another hobby. Cleaning and handling records, setting things up, etc.
I understand, and fully appreciate the joy vinyl users get from the whole experience. But I think vinylophiles should be distinguished from audiophiles. It's possible to be both, of course, but it's hard to argue that one can be both for the same reason: best possible sound.

I see cornwalls have been mentioned a few times. I am surprised no magnepanels yet. I've thought about older totl htr something like a mcintosh might be a performance bargin(thats a pre,power and source assuming everyone has a pc). Didn't onkyo have some amazing giant killer back in the 80's

I understand, and fully appreciate the joy vinyl users get from the whole experience. But I think vinylophiles should be distinguished from audiophiles. It's possible to be both, of course, but it's hard to argue that one can be both for the same reason: best possible sound.
Weeeeeel, not to start the same sort of debate that happens over there with annoying regularity, but there are a number of releases where, despite it's archaic and limited technical prowess, vinyl tends to get a better mastering due to the fact that sound engineers KNOW that people who buy vinyl are prone to sit with intent, and sometime worrying, expressions on their faces as they fiercely listen for ANY deficiency, due to the nature of how much they spent and how much time they put into their vinyl setup. This can give the person in charge of the mastering process pause when it comes to hitting the compression button on the computer and heading home to bed.

That was too long a sentence, but you get the idea.

removed this part to avoid a flame war...

I think the part below is worth keeping.

And one more thing, but I'm not sure on this one; I don't think an audiophile is necessarily a person chasing after the best sound. I think that is a hifi enthusiast. an audiophile can be a bass head, hifi enthusiast, or just the average joe who has a decent system and enjoys music through it. I'm not arguing with you on this, but it's just a point that I'd like to share. And I may be wrong, there is no doubt in my mind that may be true.

Back
Top Bottom