How would you like a swap meet?

Wardsweb

Behind The Curtain
Staff member
Admin
Another question: would you like to have a room set aside for a swap meet?

I would be game for it. How bout others ?

I think it would be a nice thing to have. We could have a food, talk and swap room all rolled into one. That way it wouldn't disrupt the listening rooms. And while I wouldn't be selling anything, I'm big on the buying end.:D

That would be awesome if you can make it Russ.

I'd probably be interested in a table of some sorts, just to move some of the odds and ends around here.

So what's the typical stuff at an AK swapmeet? I mean, 'swapmeet' means anything from a filthy dead chassis from the dump to a 'spare' snakeoil 9-nines silver digital interconnect for a 4-digit price. Personally I'd be wheeling in with, or at least with pictures of, a stack of PP tube integrateds & receivers in near-running condition. You know, the stuff you keep around in case you're ever confined to the house on a tether & the day suddenly changes to 36 hours & you feel like changing some caps so you'll have a third backup for a unit you've never used anyway... These are great for a newbie to cut their teeth on & probably sound OK with some care, but just not worth the amount of work if you have 'better' gear that's busted too. Other than that I have some newer gear, tube and SS that somebody probably actually might be actively looking for & will bring low 3-figure prices. Come to think of it, I'm looking at a SE 300B amp here that would fill out the low 4-figure bracket and be a bargain in parts alone.
Personally, when I go to swapmeets I'm looking for that crate of 10uf 1kv oil caps, you know, the toxic waste ones? That and really really huge power iron for tube amps I'll never build much less lift. I'm a sucker for test equipment that nearly works, spares for common tubes of which I already have cartons tested and filed, and large power resistors for some reason. Oh, and I want another Heath W6 for the $100 price I paid for the last one. A guy can dream.
Cheers

Last edited:
Gee,

I wuz thinking of just tossing down a blanket and laying some old trannys and carbs on it:D

Originally posted by Andyman
Gee,

I wuz thinking of just tossing down a blanket and laying some old trannys and carbs on it:D

How much for that '76 Guzzi V1000 Convert throttle cable? I snagged mine on the bedroom doorknob and it's kinked. I could use the running board rubbers too, if you got 'em.

Yeah, the flight is a killer. Just due to the fact there will be SOMETHING there I want to bring home, but will be too large to check / ship back.

If I show, for the swap table I'll probably have some various crossovers (JBL, Design Acoustics, Polk etc), crossover parts (caps, chokes, etc), and raw drivers (Audax, Vifa, Tang Band etc).

I'd love to get a van, and do a pawn/thrift tour on the way up, but man that would be a haul.

Cheers,
Russ

I'm pretty sure if you find something you can't live without, someone local will ship it back for you.

If by "swap", you mean sell to Ski at amazingly low prices, then I'm all for it.

I can ship it for you.

Last edited:
I would be interested in the swap meet.....I got some older Crown gear I would like to sell and a reel to reel also......
Would we need to bring our own table?

Has PartsExpress been told about this sales opportunity? They could show up with a table of 'AK Specials'! :D

No Room for parts express but there will be for some AKers who want to lug some gear here. I know i Will have more then a few things there.

Grumpy

Originally posted by Bauhausler
Personally, when I go to swapmeets I'm looking for that crate of 10uf 1kv oil caps, you know, the toxic waste ones? That and really really huge power iron for tube amps I'll never build much less lift. I'm a sucker for test equipment that nearly works, spares for common tubes of which I already have cartons tested and filed, and large power resistors for some reason. Oh, and I want another Heath W6 for the $100 price I paid for the last one. A guy can dream.
Cheers

Hi, I could bring up some big juicy huge power iron to sell/swap. UTC S-42's, and still bigger stuff. Also have a Heath W-6, UNBUILT, COMPLETE, in orig packaging, but I want a grand for it. Oh, and I have some REALLY big power resistors, but the value is 250 ohms, IIRC. Interested? Maybe I'll put some organ amps in the car too. GREAT platforms for building your own design without all the metalwork! I'll sell them cheap, too, without tubes...

Tubino

So is there going to be a swap area?

I was wondering if there is going to be an area set aside for those of us who might want to bring some gear to sell, ect....?
If so do you have any details for us.......do we need to bring our own table or will the hotel have some for us to use......any fee to reserve part of a table, ect......sorry about all the questions....just trying to plan ahead a bit.......thanks.....

Yup there will be some room set aside for a swap meet. Problem is I won't know how much room there will be till all the systems are set up. Even if we run out of space in the rooms you can always set up in the hall outside the rooms. I do think table space will be at a premium so if you can bring something even like a blanket you will be ahead of the game.

No reserved spots. Its first come first serve. so you need to be there early to set up your gear. We just do not want people wandering around while items are still being setup.

Grumpy

Back
Top Bottom