Humble vibrations

83Hertz

IMG_3897.JPG
TT: technics SL-BD10/AT211EP ($15)
Receiver: Pioneer SX-4 ($25)
Speakers: Realistic Minimus-7's ($0), DLK Domus Two's ($75ish)

The table and receiver came from Craigslist, the minimus speakers came from my dad, and the DLK's were added later, from Facebook marketplace.

Definitely on the low end of the spectrum, especially compared to a lot of the stuff posted here (drool) but I'm very pleased with the sound... was expecting the speakers to sound aweful, boy was I surprised when I hooked them up!

Last edited:
I have no idea where my dad got those speakers... totally out of character for him- he's definitely not an audiophile... I'm just glad I was able to "rescue" them from storage and put them back into service!

Tons and tons of Minimus 7s were sold. There are people here who have like... 11 pairs. It's to the point where it's almost a meme; you a budget audio guy? How many pairs of Minimus 7s you got? ;)

Loving this little system!

I did have to do a little work on the 7's. The woofers started to crackle a bit with the bass, and would sometimes even cut out completely. Re-soldered both ends of the tinsels, and re-capped the crossovers while I was in there... they sound great!

I'm planning on eventually building Zilch's crossovers for them, thinking about running the crossovers outside the enclosures in their own little boxes- not having a bunch of electronics in the enclosure has got to be better in speakers this small...

83 Hertz,
You may be interested in looking up all the information on modding your Minimus 7 speakers. Besides the crossover mods, there is a direct replacement Seas mid/bass driver that is a large improvement.

I've done quite a bit of reading on the crossovers, but didn't see much about replacing the woofers... seems like most people were/are happy with just the crossover upgrade, so I don't think I'm gonna upgrade the woofers yet, (unless they die...) honestly I like the way they sound right now!

IMG_3947.JPG Well, the 7's have been rotated out for some DLK domus two's I found for $20 that just needed a refoam and some terminals... I now have bass!

Still gonna keep the 7's, might pick up a speaker selector box so I can switch to the 7's at night (apartment life...)

Little bit of an update... the better bass response from the DLK's brought out an annoying hum in my system. (I assume it was there before, but was too low for the minimus to reproduce) Worse at some times, better at others. Still there with no inputs connected to receiver. Gotta be a ground issue? Yup! Popped the shell off the receiver, loosened and re-tightened each screw that grounded the circuit boards to the chassis- bingo! Noise gone!

Also decided it would be fun to build my own speaker selector, ordered some parts... will post updates when the parts arrive and I put the selector together...

Switched receivers... couldn't get any FM reception with the pioneer, so I decided to take it to work (auto mechanics shop-I supply the tunes) and bring home the RCA STA-3850 I bought (new, from the shack) in high school, or maybe college. It's not silver faced, but it works, it tunes in to FM stations, and it even sounds a bit better to me (50 wpc vs. 20 with the pioneer). Both the 7's and the DLK's sound "fuller" to me, even at similar volume levels.

Back
Top Bottom