I’m 20. This is my system. Any thoughts?

Connor G

Ear conditioned
Subscriber
Hey all. I figured I’d post some photos of my gear for everyone that might me interested. I personally love to see other people’s systems. It gives me inspiration to improve my own. I’m currently only 20 and have a lot to learn, but I’m slowly getting to where I want to be.

704F867C-1F6F-488C-906B-A9C0672B2A9C.jpeg

My setup consists of the following.

Amplification:
My current amplifiers are a pair of Kenwood L-07M monoblocks. I had them both serviced from top to bottom. They are both using the original output transistors and sound incredible. They seem to be pretty sought after; for good reason. The sound that these amplifers give off is like no other I’ve ever heard before. Effortless depth and honesty. That’s the best way I can describe them. I don’t think I’m going to be replacing them any time soon. Total utilitarian sleepers!
I also have a Luxman M-4000 Stereo power amplifier. I’m not currently using it but I occasionally switch between them. I can say that I like the Kenwoods a lot more than the Luxman when it comes to overall sound quality. The Luxman is still no slouch though.

image.jpg
973CEA26-BFE7-461B-A6A7-36EEF0D67C10.jpeg

Preamplifier:
Currently using a Sansui AU-11000 as a preamplifier. I absolutely love it to pieces. It sounds phenomenal, and is a great match to the L-07M’s. Is it the best candidate for a preamp? Probably not. But I’m enjoying it thoroughly. Plus, it’s a real head turner.

372BE2D9-D799-44D2-8312-0083BBE0534E.jpeg

Speakers:
Right now I’m using a pair of Canton Ergo 70’s. One of my all time favorite speakers. If only I had the bigger brother to them.
Crystal clear highs, and very surprising low end, especially for the size of the drivers. They have a very life like midrange quality to them as well.

image.jpg

I have a pair of KEF 104/2’s in my collection as well which I’m going to be switching to soon. I have a pair of Morel MDT-29 tweeters on the way to replace the originals. One of the originals blew out when I unplugged one of the interconnects for the amplifer. (Apparently the Kenwood L-07Ms are notorious for sending out a very high current signal when the interconnects are unplugged. I learned the hard way.)

Cables:
I like Tara Labs cables. Great for the money (second hand)
Extremely good build quality with looks and sound quality to back them up.
For interconnects I’m using a pair of RSC Air 1 Series 2 cables.
For speaker wire I’m using a pair of Space and Time Quantum Reference cables.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Sources:
I use everything from CD’s to FLACs to Tidal HiFi, even FM. I also have a decent vinyl collection, but I’m still looking for the right turntable to use.

Thanks so much for looking and reading along. I’d love to hear your opinions and advice. I’d also like to hear what gear you were using when you were around my age.

Nice gear.

When I was your age, I was working 20 hours a week as a waiter ($1.10 and hour plus tips) and going to college full time. My stereo was a Lloyd's all in one. The next year, I got a loan at Household Finance Company (HFC) to buy a Marantz 1060 integrated amp and Pioneer PL12D to use with a pair of cheap house brand speakers.

You seem to have listened to a wide range of very high end gear, and own a bunch of it as well. Did you win the lottery?

Nice gear.

When I was your age, I was working 20 hours a week as a waiter ($1.10 and hour plus tips) and going to college full time. My stereo was a Lloyd's all in one. The next year, I got a loan at Household Finance Company (HFC) to buy a Marantz 1060 integrated amp and Pioneer PL12D to use with a pair of cheap house brand speakers.

You seem to have listened to a wide range of very high end gear, and own a bunch of it as well. Did you win the lottery?
Unfortunately I haven’t won the lottery haha
I work roughly 60 hours a week between two jobs and try to save as much money as I can to use toward my hobby. Everything you see has been paid for by myself.
I love the 1060 by the way. It’s a great little amplifer.

Nice job! Much better than what I had at 20, or even 30.

It looks like you have a nice listening room, as well. My only suggestion would be to try placing a good sized area rug on the wood floor, in front of the speakers, to dampen any reflections.

That's awesome! Like the Kenny's! You are at about the same age I was when I got started in this hobby but that was nearly 45 years ago.. Really nice to meet young people such as yourself who have taken up this hobby in a more serious way, Agree with elrod, take the time to enjoy all your system can deliver.
Thanks for sharing..

I think your doing very nice, the best way to know this is to also have the time to listen to it. I agree with more things in the room like carpet, maybe make your own acoustic panels, lots of info on how to at Youtube.

Looks like you've got source (save maybe DAC? Wasn't mentioned in post, might be in sig, sorry) and pre/power amps well covered, and even cables. Next step up would probably be speaker improvements.

Excellent!
Nothing like working hard and enjoying the rewards - good for you!
So wonderful that you can experience this while your hearing is pristine and before life's realities (and burdens) sink in!
I spent most of my 20s in close proximity to high end JBL (and other) systems, still remember the 'sound' of the best of it, and continue to try re-create (or better) that with what I have now.
Wonder what you'll think of this gear 40 years from now! :angel:

A man of similar ways. At 20, I had a Denon DCD 3300 CD player, a Kenwood KD 500TT with a Grace 707 arm, a Marantz 150 tuner, the full Meridian Modular preamp (then a Citation X-II pre) and a pair of Meridian M-10 triamped speakers. I also worked full time and was doing the school thing too. The saving grace was that I was living at home.
Congrats on some fine gear and keep on reading a erything you can find to gain further perspective. This pursuit lasts a lifetime.

Very Nice Setup with thought.

Growing up I had a Heathkit my brother built, but when I was 17, had my first job, and got my first income tax refund, I bought an Onkyo Receiver and Tape Deck, a BSR Turntable, and Infinity Speakers.

Congrats!

"Any thoughts?", you ask...

Yes, I have a couple thoughts. First, you are a sick puppy! Second, I think we could be friends! I like the gear and the clean set-up.

Ha! I got a Sony all in one system, get on my level! ;):crazy:
Seriously though, that looks great. Dream system.
When I was twenty I had... wait, I don't know yet. Well, at fifteen I had (have) some Boston Acoustics VR2s, generic cables, Technics Sl3200 TT and a NAD C352. Nowhere near as sweet as your system, especially those Kenwood monoblocks and the Cantons, both of those look especially awesome. :)
Enjoy.

Hey all. I figured I’d post some photos of my gear for everyone that might me interested. ..I’d also like to hear what gear you were using when you were around my age.
Nicely arranged. Speakers away from wall and with good clearance from other gear. Very clean looking. Suggestions? Think about room treatments with your highly reflective environment. Doesn't have to be fancy. Even a tapestry would help provide some absorption from the front wall and minimize slap echo. I even use basic room treatments my garage. :)

At your age (1977), I was using Acoustat X full range electrostats with their built in tube servo charge amplifiers driven by Van Alstine modified FET-5 preamp using DIY Belden interconnects. Sourced by Ariston RD-11s turntable with Transcriptors Vestigal tonearm and Sonus Blue cartridge.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom