I am a consoleaholic............

VinylHanger

Navigaret ex ironia
I picked this beauty up the other day for a whopping 10 bucks. It works like new and looks like it just came off the showroom floor. I bought it because it has a great modern art shape to it and it is over 6 feet long. Are there any other consoleaholics around here. This one is solid state, but after a few speaker tuning mods I think it will sound great, the tuner picks up like crazy, but it has a nasty boom to the bass.

Here is the coolest part, I passed up a Penncrest console like this last year and vowed not to do it again, this one is Motorola which struck me as interesting.

The TT is a bit better looking than most clunky tone-armed consoles. It even had the original platter coversheet. If you hate consoles then this is just another mediocre piece of gear, but for a consoleaholic, this is one cool unit :cool:

Was looking in the thrift stores today and came accross a TELEFUNK something or else. Looked like it was english and RCA sold it. Tube multi-band radio with turntable and there was an extra needle and a few tubes in a storage compatment. Looked like it got beat up a bit when it made its way into the store. little swing out speakers in each side that had little cloth sacks tied to em to keep 'em clean. Neat looking thing... They were asking $35.00. I was thinking that some one would sure like that unit to fix up. No where as nice looking as yours though...

OMI:

If that was a Telefunken, you may want to check out the brands on the tubes themselves. Telefunken tubes are VERY much in demand, and should be worth the $35.00 on their own.

Definetly check the tubes. But even the amp/s are cool as well. If it is a stereo unit, you could have a great unit for the spare room or something. I would have picked it up fer sure, as most Tele consoles are very cool and artily funky cool looking.

I am in this club as well. I have 3.5 consoles in the house now, 2 pilot tube units one with perfect mahogany finish and the other with I think maple perfect as well. A KLH model 25 in the garage and the innards out of a thrashed voice of music console in the bedroom driving some EV 15 trxb's. I love all of them and I am looking for more every day I go out. With better than original speakers they really shine.

Have no idea on how to see if the tubes were good, or just burnt out old ones. If anyone is near LOWER ALABAMA I will point 'em in the right direction. Dont think the monster will be sold any time soon in this area:)
The unit did look cool. Like I said they did bang it up a bit getting into the store, but my guess is that some one with the skills and knowledge could fix it up. Still had some of the original schematics and paper work in the unit...

You guys wouldn't like what me an my son do to console's :eek:

Uh, ................. get nekid and dance around them shouting manly things? Uh, .................. put on some Helen Reddy and sit drinking Shirley Temples?
Must be it because I KNOW it isn't go at them with a Sawzall hacking and slashing at them till all the parts and pieces come out looking all nekid and disconnected............. say it ain't so :(

Well, I just pull out all the tubey things and let them lie, especially if they are all nasty with delaminated wood and missing speakers. Got a couple Telefunken 12AX7s and some Raytheon 6BQ5s that way a few weeks back. I gave the ladies the $10.00 asking price for the unit and told them they could do with it as they pleased; sell it again for all I cared.

I did find a nice looking Grundig for $15.00 last year, but didn't want to lug 200#+ of wood home, especially after I couldn't figure out how to isolate/rewire the amp and tuner for outboard use.

Boring domestic tubes too.

Andy I've done the exact same thing. I remember once asking the thrift store employee if I could just buy the tubes and they could keep the console to resell or whatever they liked. Well the lady replied with a huff and a Oh No We Can't Do THAT!! Okay I said and paid her the $20 for the whole enchilada. I got the tool box out of my truck and left the whole disassembled mess right in the middle of the store. Now the lady has seen the light and gladly lets me buy the parts I want instead. :D

Mike

Well ya know..................... Helen ready does put me in the mood to hack something up :eek:

Back
Top Bottom