I am going to be trying this DAC.

WhiteSE

Is Lute Gluten Free??
Subscriber
Jerry Osment's AudioLogic 34 MXL. The Sony DVP-N999Es is a good transport I hope.

Attachments

• $_1.JPG
    $_1.JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 51
  • $_3.JPG
    $_3.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 53
You might want to consider eliminating the middleman and rip the CDs to a hard drive. The CD already has a DAC, and you're basically adding yet another layer of conversion to the stream.

Lots more convenient for browsing too. Just click 'n play. All my CDs now reside on 200 disk spindles in the closet after ripping the whole collection to FLAC. Can't say as I miss shuffling discs a bit.

I plug a computer into my DAC via USB, and that hooks up to my analog stereo ... I play everything back at 48/24, which is a step up from the CD standard of 44.1/16 ...

Ripping disks is done using the CD drive on the computer. This replaced a couple of Sony 400 CD carousels. Anything I've added since has been digital download, and I'm now up to about 2tb worth of stored music available at the push of a button.

Depends on the speed of your drive ... my computer's drive is rated at 52x, so a standard CD doesn't take more than maybe a minute.

As far as USB or optical or whatever, My DAC does all that, and I simply went with what sounds best on my system.

You might want to consider eliminating the middleman and rip the CDs to a hard drive. The CD already has a DAC, and you're basically adding yet another layer of conversion to the stream.
By using the coax digital out of the Sony into the AudioLogic 34 MXL, will WhiteSE not be bypassing the Sony's DAC ??? Or am I understanding things very wrongly ?

By using the coax digital out of the Sony into the AudioLogic 34 MXL, will WhiteSE not be bypassing the Sony's DAC ??? Or am I understanding things very wrongly ?

You are correct...I believe it is still a shorter and simpler path using the PC HD into the DAC.

My bad ... I missed the fact that the Sony deck has digital out ...

In that case, it's more of a convenience thing. I still think the click 'n play is an invaluable option. Go ahead with the direct deck output to the DAC and keep that in mind for when your inner couch potato takes over ... <G>

Only thing I'd add there is, make sure you use a quality cable that's rated for digital coaxial for the best results. If you're lucky, you got one with the deck. I'd also keep it short as possible, as the longer cables introduce noise. I see optical is also an option with that deck, and performance is similar, but I can't say I ever found an optical cable I liked. In my experience, most are way too loose in the jacks and go intermittent. Only one I use in my system needs additional support to work reliably.

The connection to the DAC inside the CD player is done with three data wires, clock and L/R data being send separately. Hence it is quasi immune to jitter.
The connection to the external DAC, done via SPDIF, interleaves the digital data with the clock, requiring a process of separation at the DAC input. That process is an analog PLL loop that can introduce jitter and affect the audio quality, especially in the low-medium frequency part.
There are devices that can help with this, but in majority of cases, that makes the external DAC expensive and people tend to shop based on prices.
I, for example, have an iFi SPDIF iPurifier that does a good job.

Back
Top Bottom