I am starting a Conn / Mullard 5/20 project

hello. perfect timing. I have three Conn amplifiers like yours. one is recapped and upgraded and serves as daily driver to preserve tubes in my kt120 amp / thank you again Kevin/. I was thinking what to do with other two since having three the same amps does not make a lot of sense. I saw your other posts about using el34 tubes and transformers from Conn. I also thing that they are high quality and sound well. I will watch your build and try to start my own. Robert.

Last edited:
I am using the brake from work ,It's beat to death, it has bent fingers from bending stuff that was too thick, my friend did the welding, I think it was TIG

It came out good ,,, I have a little HF 18" brake, but I had to make custom "fingers" to get inside bends,,, It works fine...
I try to use tx that mount on top of teh chassis, its tough to cut the big, square hole ,,, and they take up a lot of room with half of them protruding under,,, I made L brackets for the last flat one I used and stood it on top,,, of course it had two bells...

I wish I knew the numbers off those darned Conn OPTs that were terrible. The amps were monos out of tone cabs and ran one or two 5U4s, and two 6L6s in PP. Conn used a zobel to help them make bass. Can anyone help me out here? I want to get ahold of some of this good Conn iron I keep hearing about. Has anyone made any square waves with them and maybe have a screen shot of the scope pic? I'm very intrigued.

In the beginning of this post is a link to the thread with the good transformer(K 70272) with square wave pics throughout the thread. The transformer looks like the pic(Dynaco 70 like) I think the 6L6 transformer is K58459 I have a pair that I have not yet tested,they look much smaller and have no end bells

Last edited:
A little progress...
Most of the tubes don't have sockets under them.I'm just trying to get an idea of the way it will look.

P10100118.JPG P10100117.JPG P10100119.JPG P10100116.JPG

Last edited:
The tar on the power transformer is a pain.I also have 2,(and Robnec has 3). this is the first one I'm converting, The 5-20 circuit sounds great on this amp.

Lays out nice, Scott... looks like plenty of room for air circulation... I use a motor mounted wire brush to clean the tar off the tx ,,,if you run it parallel to the core, and don't push too hard, it leaves a nice flat surface to paint...
I picked up a big aluminum chassis Saturday,, gotta think up a project for it!!!!!

Lays out nice, Scott... looks like plenty of room for air circulation... I use a motor mounted wire brush to clean the tar off the tx ,,,if you run it parallel to the core, and don't push too hard, it leaves a nice flat surface to paint...
I picked up a big aluminum chassis Saturday,, gotta think up a project for it!!!!!
I'll try the brush, Thanks!
If you have a set of these transformers, play along and see how they sound.

Back
Top Bottom