I apologize to all tube amp owners.

Giarcpnw

I rolled my eyes for years, formed opinions about audio snobs that spent too much money on glowing light bulbs and claimed they sounded better. Like photography snobs who claimed "film is better!"

Well......I'm three days into my NOS Valves rebuilt Scott Lk-48. I just played Abbey Road on vinyl and I have to say....I have never heard it sound that good. I can't identify what exactly. My Luxman SS gear sounds damn good, and still does but this little Scott just does something to music. Perhaps that's the "tubeyness" that everyone speaks of? It's just as detailed as the Luxman but like with butter poured over it? That's a silly analogy but all I got. Mingus and Horace Silver last night also just sounded.... right. Does that make sense?

Ahhh, the irony...now I'm a tube guy.....Only took 47 years.

I rolled my eyes for years, formed opinions about audio snobs that spent too much money on glowing light bulbs and claimed they sounded better. Like photography snobs who claimed "film is better!"

Well......I'm three days into my NOS Valves rebuilt Scott Lk-48. I just played Abbey Road on vinyl and I have to say....I have never heard it sound that good. I can't identify what exactly. My Luxman SS gear sounds damn good, and still does but this little Scott just does something to music. Perhaps that's the "tubeyness" that everyone speaks of? It's just as detailed as the Luxman but like with butter poured over it? That's a silly analogy but all I got. Mingus and Horace Silver last night also just sounded.... right. Does that make sense?

Ahhh, the irony...now I'm a tube guy.....Only took 47 years.
Maybe it is an age thing. When you are a young whipper snapper. The glitz and glitter, or the modern and hyped, the pretty case work of bright knobs, and rows of diodes pulsating. These kinds of affects are attractive to the young and inexperienced. High wattage output and vanishingly low distortion numbers can be very persuasive to the technophobe. But as one becomes older and the knowledge that behind the chrome work or gaudy gold plating lies an inferior sounding circuit made by soulless machines. And that is when you trust in what you hear and like. That keeping an open mind or ear is key in continued development and knowledge. One realizes then, that numbers are not the key to good sound, that old technology can be just as relevant as new. I bid you welcome to the "Hollow State".

I had planned to run my Dynaco A-25s and my AR XA with this amp but I may have just screwed the pooch by hooking my Thorens TT and M907s up to it first.

47 years of eye rolling...sorry for your loss and the upcoming work of listening to everything again!!

Well, let's reduce that to 27ish years. I didn't know anything about anything till college. Even then we can safely put in another suspect decade of youthful ignorance. I thought my Pioneer mx907stpqrs1234 whatever black amp with 100 watts was the shit with whatever speakers I got in the garage sale down the street. @primosounds is right. Big, shiny black amp with led meters and such....

Well, let's reduce that to 27ish years. I didn't know anything about anything till college. Even then we can safely put in another suspect decade of youthful ignorance. I thought my Pioneer mx907stpqrs1234 whatever black amp with 100 watts was the shit with whatever speakers I got in the garage sale down the street. @primosounds is right. Big, shiny black amp with led meters and such....

Dude, if the system got the young ladies in the mood then it WAS the shit.

Back
Top Bottom