I can't go anywhere on the site without getting this message

djnagle

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Today, where ever I go on the site, I get this message and click to leave the page. Anyone else getting this? What is the fix? Tks, D.

Capture.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
So the answer is to NOT use the predominant browser in the desktop environment? Interesting.

Exactly - do NOT use MS Explorer, Edge, or whatever they are trying to call it now ...

But - do note that it is NOT the "Most predominant browser"
and do be aware that "desktop environment" is a rapidly diminishing category -
More folks surf on phones and tablets than sit at a little desk and type away any more ...

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

or -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers

Screen Shot 2016-08-30 at 3.48.02 PM.png

So the answer is to NOT use the predominant browser in the desktop environment? Interesting.

that pretty much sums it up... i didnt realize anyone used internet explorer for anything besides downloading another browser.

i thought everyone quit IE about 8-10 yrs ago...

edit: hjames kinda beat me to it...

if you want a good browser with some nice features give slimjet a try ..i have been running it for a while now instead of chrome .. chrome has a built in thing for mainly conferencing use but it cannot be turned off anymore . it was stopping unattended shutdowns of my pc . i like to click the off button and leave the pc to shutdown in 30 seconds .
http://www.slimjet.com/

I use Google for search, Google Android for phone, so I figure I may as well use Google Chrome for browsing. I thought Winders was dropping internet explorer ?

Today, where ever I go on the site, I get this message and click to leave the page. Anyone else getting this? What is the fix? Tks, D.

There is possibly a script on the page causing this. It is a dialog that is usually created when editing a page or a form on a site, and you attempt to navigate away from it. Has the site changed? I don't know, but if there is other scripting that is not part of XenForo which is conflicting, it might cause an issue on certain browsers.

Changing a browser does not fix a scripting problem though, even if some of us see it, and some don't. ;) It's just obscuring a problem. Used to be a lot worse in the browser wars, trust me. Even today, there are ancient sites that demand use of a certain browser. Outdated thinking (by about a dozen years). XenForo was written to be as compatible with as many of the mainstream browsers as possible; there are still edge cases where there might be a problem, but they can only help fix it if they can repeat it on their end.

Windows 10 here. Just fired up IE/Edge, logged on AK and viewed a couple of different pages, logged off and exited and no goofy "Are you sure..." pop-up. Outlook running at the same time.

Rather than try to fix it, I would just install Chrome. Really.

Murray

If it IS specific to this site, try deleting all the AK cookies and try again ...

Hard part might be finding where your browser stashes them. Firefox allows you to delete specific cookies without having to hunt around. Just checked, and AK has six of the lil beggars now ... OPTIONS/PRIVACY/Delete individual cookies and then search for "karma" ...

Also make sure IE's pop up blocker is enabled. Not sure if that will help on a system generated popup, but it couldn't hertz ...

If you are using IE I think there is a setting for that if you dig around in the menus.

I think the setting is "do you want us to pester you every time you push a button because we think you are to stupid to use a computer".

Find that setting and switch it to NO. :D

Back
Top Bottom