I caught the vintage bug!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by JWB37, Jan 1, 2018.

1. JWB37

JWB37 New Member

Hello everyone,

I recently found a set of Aztec Da Vinci Speakers, and in the same weekend of thrift shopping found a cool looking vintage Readers Digest stereo receiver. I've been looking for another hobby recently and I think I found it! This forum has been a great reference tool for me as I try to source any info I can find on my setup so I figured I would join the community.

I can't seem to find hardly any info on the speakers I have or the receiver. The only solid info I have really gathered is that I have a set of Aztecs from the early 70s and those were supposedly the better years for sound quality, although they were never the "best" they certainly sounded nice and the cabinet quality was wonderful. I have not actually been able to find ANY info or pictures of the Da Vinci line. If anyone has more info on them please share!

The stereo receiver I have was sold by Readers Digest in the 70s from what I can find, and was supposedly not terrible. I can't find any solid info but did find a few rumors that they were made by the same subcontracted manufacturers that made parts for Pioneer and Sansui back in the day. I have no idea if that is actually true, but it has the vintage look I wanted and is a good starting point for me.

I'll share some pictures below. Please correct me if I got any info wrong as I really just want to learn more about the vintage audio world! Please excuse the pictures as a friend of mine is currently helping me replace the capacitors in the crossovers so the speakers aren't in the best light.

Attached Files:

2. Hyperion

Hyperion Roobarb & Custard Subscriber

Welcome to AK! - nice intro. :thumbsup:

3. goat67

goat67 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Welcome

4. Rome

Rome Holsum Honey Buns Subscriber

Greetings to ya!

Rome

5. electronjohn

electronjohn Plug it in & see!! Subscriber

Welcome to AK! Aztec speakers have a decent reputation...search the "Speakers" forum & you'll probably turn up more info. As far as the RD integrated amp goes...looks like a tidy little unit. Probably not a powerhouse...based on the power consumption shown on the back no more than 15WPC max. Still...small watts sometimes bring big smiles:) And, the way this place is, odds are another AKer has run across one as well. Have fun!

6. cnyel1967

cnyel1967 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Welcome to AK!

7. grillebilly

grillebilly Empty Head Subscriber

Welcome and thanks for being here.

8. Joel66

Joel66 Active Member

Welcome to AK.

9. Dave_1962

Dave_1962 Lunatic Member

Welcome!

10. Marine0811

Marine0811 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Welcome to AK!

11. Grenadeslio

Grenadeslio Active Member

I caught the vintage bug!

Sorry to have to tell you this, but there's no cure, intervention, or antibiotic that can help you now, it's a life long illness.

12. HarmanKardon

HarmanKardon Tubes still smell funny Subscriber

Thank you for your introduction! :)