I do like the stream

I'm with @Alobar on this one. I've tried a few cdripping software packages and settled on one which, for me, works the best and doesn't miss a beat when translating the metadata during the ripping process. I also multi-task while ripping and don't miss handling all that media in order to listen.

I like to mix it up with a fairly eclectic playlist. Prior to implementing the digital solution I used a Sony CD jukebox. The number of programmed tracks was 32 even though there were 200 CDs in the unit which is roughly 1800 - 2000 available tracks. 32 tracks???? SMH... Having a long playlist with the music I want on it without having to shuffle anything but the playing order is a big plus for me.

That same big plus applies to having a music collection on HD (I use a Synology NAS) vs. streaming. I can listen to what I want when I want to. Streaming, despite it's SQ limitations, can introduce you to new music but then again so can forums like AK, YouTube Music, Vimeo, etc...and those are all free. I don't need or want a lower quality music source as my system will reveal it's limitations in a heartbeat.

I was using JRiver but recently loaded up a 2 week trial of Roon to see how I like it. So far I am thoroughly enjoying the software. Tagging, sorting and setting up playlists is much easier. However, Roon is a LOT more expensive than JRiver and it has a lot more features related to streaming. For me, if it works better and runs well on my music server over the trial period, I may become a lifetime subscriber.

So, those are my thoughts in a nutshell on streaming vs. having your own collection. Of course, you can have both and that may be your preference. Whatever works for you is what you should do.

I'm with @Alobar

So, those are my thoughts in a nutshell on streaming vs. having your own collection. Of course, you can have both and that may be your preference. Whatever works for you is what you should do.

Agree 110%
Streaming, despite it's SQ limitations

Compared to The CD’s I have they are at worst even. Every song I compare flipping one button on my DAC, the streaming is always as good, and many times better. It really takes no effort to find the best version to add to whatever list you want it in, or go back to the whole album (edit: release, version) that it came from and get the whole album at that quality. JMO on my system (which matters), and the few “high end” systems I have had a chance to stream My Tidal to, it is never worst than the CD. So since digital no matter how it is played back is my secondary then this is great for me (don’t have the room).

IME, if you put in a little effort the SQ is there. That’s why a lot of us are looking forward to trying. I think lol, of course I could be totally wrong.
YMMV
:beerchug:

Now back to

509DEFF4-098B-437E-8004-C8561367C625.jpeg

Edit: Ha was kind of thinking of the Qubuz thread I see :confused:

Last edited:
I run streaming of internet 'radio' stations the majority of the time. Some are in Europe and some in the US. In either case, they've introduced me to new musicians and releases. There are some excellent radio shows (Performance Today from APM, for instance) that carries recent performances recorded live. These are excellent quality and are amazing to hear via my 2-channel system.

I rarely go through my ripped CDs anymore.

Cheers,

David

I used to exclusively stream. I was a beta tester for Slacker when they first came out about 10 years ago.

At the beginning of this year I decided to start ripping my CDs because I wanted to listen to them. I have many CDs but no connected CD player. Ripping was so fast and simple, I started buying more CDs. I have since more than doubled the number of CDs I have. A local used store sells used CDs as low as 5 cents each. :dunno: My listening is about 90% ripped CDs. I still stream from the cloud for music discovery, but buying CDs from unknown artists allows me to discover new music, too.

I'm with @Alobar on this one. I've tried a few cdripping software packages and settled on one which, for me, works the best and doesn't miss a beat when translating the metadata during the ripping process. I also multi-task while ripping and don't miss handling all that media in order to listen.

I like to mix it up with a fairly eclectic playlist. Prior to implementing the digital solution I used a Sony CD jukebox. The number of programmed tracks was 32 even though there were 200 CDs in the unit which is roughly 1800 - 2000 available tracks. 32 tracks???? SMH... Having a long playlist with the music I want on it without having to shuffle anything but the playing order is a big plus for me.

That same big plus applies to having a music collection on HD (I use a Synology NAS) vs. streaming. I can listen to what I want when I want to. Streaming, despite it's SQ limitations, can introduce you to new music but then again so can forums like AK, YouTube Music, Vimeo, etc...and those are all free. I don't need or want a lower quality music source as my system will reveal it's limitations in a heartbeat.

I was using JRiver but recently loaded up a 2 week trial of Roon to see how I like it. So far I am thoroughly enjoying the software. Tagging, sorting and setting up playlists is much easier. However, Roon is a LOT more expensive than JRiver and it has a lot more features related to streaming. For me, if it works better and runs well on my music server over the trial period, I may become a lifetime subscriber.

Hi,

Hi,

Do you have any experience with your Synology NAS using Sonos?

Back
Top Bottom