I feel duped

Just call the seller and tell them it blew up immediately and you need to return it
I would have done exactly that if the seller had not stated "once it leaves my house, it's your problem".....exact words....I should have backed out of the sale at that time.
Live and learn.

I would have done exactly that if the seller had not stated "once it leaves my house, it's your problem".....exact words....I should have backed out of the sale at that time.
Live and learn.

So what? Tell him that either he takes it back or you're going to post warnings about him on Kijiji for the next year.

Welcome to the vintage life, it’s old stuff - poop happens.
He can justifiably say it was your speakers.

He can say whatever he wants, but if you pressure him there's a decent chance he'll take it back. I guarantee what I sell on Craigslist, and it really irritates me to hear stories of people getting ripped off like this.

It really sounds like he sold you a lemon.. Even if he didnt know it was going to blow up, the right thing to do as the seller is issue a refund. If he won't, its your civic duty to warn others about this guy..

After 35 years I decided to rekindle my love for vinyl...which of course meant I had to rekindle my love for the components of my youth(I'm 52)....which of course means I had to start buying pieces. This past weekend I went to see equipment at a local Kijiji(Canada's answer to CL) dealer. He had a Pioneer sx-780 which appeared to be in good condition. It was played for me and sounded great...I offered a Marantz 2220B which was not in working order and had been sitting in my closet for 6 months, as well as cash for the sx780 and a small pair of JBL 62'S. I get the pieces home...connect my TT, put on a platter and sit back to enjoy. After 2 minutes of playback there emits a loud cracking sound from the left channel. I turned the unit off immediately and sat there is disbelief. I tried it again a few moments later, same thing happened. So by now my head is swimming...I contacted an electrical engineer who restores vintage gear and brought the unit over. Last night he contacted me to advise that there was some hasty and faulty re-soldering and that the output power packs were shorting and close to blowing. Also that the nicotine covering the unit was among the worst he had seen. So now I'm staring down the barrel of a full restoration at a amount that rivals what I paid for the unit to begin with. What gives me heartburn even worse than this is finding out that the seller posted the Marantz 2220B on the website later that same day advising all of the work that had been done to it in Sept of 2018(you know....while it was sitting in the bottom of my closet...) as well as claiming it had been run at peak power for 72 continuous hours in order to test. He couldn't even have run it for 7 hours...let alone 72.
Needless to say this has completely soured me on purchasing vintage gear. I believe in "buyer beware"..and I have just proven why.
Cheers

That is unfortunate. The reality of online sales is buyer beware. There are some resellers who don’t guarantee a thing, and there are vintage aficionados who care about what they are selling and who buys it. Unfortunately, it takes time to find out who is who. If you are in the Ottawa region, give me a PM and I can share some reputable ones and ones to be very careful when dealing with. I will even share who I won’t do any business with. There are likely members who can help you if you share where you are located.

Or, don’t buy used anymore. Those are your options, because you face the same risks with modern used gear.

That is unfortunate. The reality of online sales is buyer beware. There are some resellers who don’t guarantee a thing, and there are vintage aficionados who care about what they are selling and who buys it. Unfortunately, it takes time to find out who is who. If you are in the Ottawa region, give me a PM and I can share some reputable ones and ones to be very careful when dealing with. I will even share who I won’t do any business with. There are likely members who can help you if you share where you are located.

Or, don’t buy used anymore. Those are your options, because you face the same risks with modern used gear.
Thanks BB, yeah....I've learned the hard way. I guess I've always been trusting and transparent in all my online sales. I've sold A LOT of guitars and amps over the years and when I describe something as mint....it is! So, I naturally assume that others deal fairly as well. You're right, I'm going to be more gun shy about purchasing used audio gear moving forward.....saying that...I'm seeing some nice Advents that will go nicely with the 780 when it eventually comes home from the Dr's. :idea:

sorry for your bad experience. there are enough flippers out there that there's a good chance
you will have an encounter with one of them.

I've had a motorcycle for sale on a few of the online site and have gotten a bunch of "this is all the money I have and I really need a bike" emails.
It does suck that people will go to that length to try and get a deal but I don't let it bug me and I just let them know an amount that will get the machine and leave it at that.
If someone buys it and then lists it for higher later, whatever. Good luck to them. I got what I wanted so we're all square.

caveat emptor

An old adage of the firearms world: Buy the gun, not the story.

I think this applies to audio buyers and sellers, as well.

Although, I don't foresee running into "General Patton's Marantz" - listened to during the North Africa campaign. o_O

I like people that ask for your best price via email, and then try to negotiate from that point upon arrival. I sold a car towing dolly, gave the guy my best price, he was just indignant that I would not go lower. He walked away mad, I think he did not actually have the "best price" amount. He contacted me a couple of days later asking when he could it up at my price, I was very happy to tell him it was gone.

I simply lay out the facts.
Take Ebay history, deduct Ebay and Paypal fee's for asking price.
And will take offers up to 10-15% below that as a convenience for selling locally.

I simply lay out the facts.
Take Ebay history, deduct Ebay and Paypal fee's for asking price.
And will take offers up to 10-15% below that as a convenience for selling locally.
That's not all the facts. It is also a fact that a local "fishing hole" has a lot less fish than a worldwide one, but I think your methodology is good for setting a starting point.

unfortunately, all I've seen are CL flippers who ask for more than ebay (including shipping)
since their units are better and there's no possible shipping damage. in perfect working
condition and NOS, mint, or better. then the pictures are stolen and photoshopped.

it's a response to all the folks who wouldn't drive 5 miles for a mint TOTL Pioneer/Marantz
receiver, don't have/use credit cards, hate eBay, etc

as long as there are thousands of flipper-certified sellers, there will be buyers who
want a "scroe" of something for bragging rights and street cred and at a price they
just had to have. maybe once in a awhile they win but most of the time the unit doesn't
work and we hear about it.

the "good" news is we hear about these transactions-gone-wrong and the
not-so-obvious-light-at-the-end-of-THE-tunnel is that we save another
unit from the dump.

and the many buyers out there who get burned, either learn to fix (a good thing),
or leave the "scroes" to the flipper-hunters, and

there are more flipper-sellers and "scroe"-hunters out there every single day,
millions, that while you're making flipper-chump-change, or DeOxiting a
hopelessly broken unit, you can still

enjoy the music.

I like people that ask for your best price via email, and then try to negotiate from that point upon arrival. I sold a car towing dolly, gave the guy my best price, he was just indignant that I would not go lower. He walked away mad, I think he did not actually have the "best price" amount. He contacted me a couple of days later asking when he could it up at my price, I was very happy to tell him it was gone.

When asked for my "best price", I always bump my asking price UP 50%..

Rex

Back
Top Bottom