I feel like the only one using 4 speakers in a 2-channel audio only system

Turbota

My system is audio only ... No TV Hookup, No Home Theater, No Surround Sound ... Just Music from my attached CD player, or music streamed via Bluetooth from MP3 files stored on my desktop computer. I also stream music from my computer via Bluetooth from Spotify Premium.

Basically, something like this would use a 2-channel front set of speakers with maybe a powered subwoofer attached.

Well, I went a little different route in that I purchased 2 power amps and a set of rear speakers to add to the mix.

I am now not using my integrated amp's power amp section at all ... Basically all the integrated amp is used for is it's pre-amp section. The 2 separate power amps I now have are used to drive the front and rear speakers ... #1 power amp drives the front tower speakers, and #2 power amp drives the rear bookshelf speakers.

I have had more than one person tell me I should only be using 2 front speakers when listening to music only, but I have listened for a very long time to just the 2 front speakers powered by my integrated amp, and all I can say is that the music sounds more "open" or I guess you could use the word "ambient" when listening through all 4 speakers.

Just wondering if anyone else here uses both front and rear speakers when listening to music only?

BTW .... Here is how the amps are wired together in my system:

loq4XYj.jpg

Couple of photos of the system:

8UCabUe.jpg

RbYvvON.jpg

Onkyo A-9050 Integrated Amp
Onkyo M-282 Power Amps (Pair)
Onkyo C-7030 CD Player
Audioengine B1 Bluetooth Receiver
Polk RTiA7 Tower Speakers
Polk RTiA3 Bookshelf Speakers

Don't let anyone tell you what you like.
I was running 4 speakers, 2 front and 2 rear, for years. I loved it. When I wanted to listen to certain styles that sounded better with just the fronts, I turned the rears off. Of course many told me it wasn't right, but it sounded great. Nightclubs don't image, either, unless they are small acoustic clubs.
I have since changes things up and are currently running just 2 speakers. Both ways are pleasurable, and different.
I see you have a lot of Onkyo gear. I am using a vintage TX 8500 MK II as a preamp for a McIntosh tube amp. Some think it can't possibly be as good as a dedicated pre...I say come on over and let's do a comparison. I have an A/B switch and we'll find out :idea:

Heck! I have 6, of course I only use 4 at a time but, I think it sounds just fine.
2 front, 2 rear and 2 center because I just aint got the room to set them up any other way, but I'm happy with it.

Suggest you switch channels on your rears. That way, you'd have "quad" stereo. Any direction you turn is L-R or R-L stereo. Free for nothing; just swap one set of inputs to one of your power amps. Enjoy!

I thought about that myself but, wondered if it sound right, have to give it a try.

Suggest you switch channels on your rears. That way, you'd have "quad" stereo. Any direction you turn is L-R or R-L stereo. Free for nothing; just swap one set of inputs to one of your power amps. Enjoy!

Pretty sure Delco did this with their car stereos in the late 60s, and it worked well, however Quad it is not.

Add a unit like a Marantz 2440 and you could actually have matrix derived quad.

You could also wire up a Hafler circuit... like this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hafler_circuit

http://sound.whsites.net/project18.htm

Last edited:
"Quad" STEREO, not Quad Quad.

This kind of arrangement is often used around pools, patios, and commercial establishments such that the nearest two speakers to any listener are always a L/R pair.

I'm using four speakers in my bedroom system where the rear speakers are used to add ambience. Instead of using a regular 2-channel amp for the rears, I'm using the rear channel outputs on a mid 90s AVR. The AVR allows for varying amounts of delay depending on the soundfield selected and the level can be adjusted so that the rears aren't perceived as a distinct source.

I have 6 speakers in my garage setup, 4 big speakers in the corners, and two small ones on the workbench. I run all 6 most of the time, but I cut back to the small ones on the workbench if it's late at night.

Anyhow, the only problem I have, it at high volume, I have bass cancellation. In the dead-center of the room, it sounds great. But around the perimeter of the room, the bass is about 70% less. This is with 4x 15" woofers though, so there is a lot of air being moved. I have been told this is a common side effect of the 4-corner stereo setup.

What I do is adjust down the volume level of my rear speakers a little ...

My two power amps both have a separate "input-level" control on the rear panel, so I leave the input-level of the power amp for the front speakers at full, and the input level of the other power amp for the rear speakers turned down slightly.

This works really nice in a 4 speaker setup.

I remember a trick with the wiring the B speakers - just cant remember the trick. Positive of one channel negitive of the other?

My theater room receiver has a 5 channel 'stereo' stetting that I use from time to time. I can't say I use it much for studio albums, but it can be fun for live stuff.
No reverb n such is added to this setting. I find all those setting like Hall, Jazz Club, etc terrible, but this one is fine.
I run the rears notched down quite a bit, and at the moment I'm not using a center speaker.

For the past 45 years I've had a 4 speaker setup for stereo and I love it. Wouldn't have it any other way. Here is my setup: I use the preamp of my Denon AVR3805 through zone 2. I feed the signal to an Audiocontrol C101 (I know, some people don't like equalizers but I do) for a flat response properly calibrated with the RTA and microphone and then to my Harman Kardon PA4000 which is a unit with 4 individual 50 wpc amps which can be bridged and you get 4 individual 100wpc "mono" amps. This is the way I use it, so I have each speaker connected to an individual 100w "mono" amp.

I agree- the use of multiple speakers can result in some penalty to imaging, however I have found the overall advantages outweigh the cost, IME. As always, YMMV.

Here's my setup. *My apologies for the crummy drawing. :oops:

scan0004.jpg

Whatever a person likes.
I would rather use the money spent on better 2 channel (or a second 2 ch system in another room). :)

When I had aftermarket car stereos I ran the rear speakers mono at just below noticeable levels; added a little ambiance without messing up the front soundstage. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom