I Finally got one of these!

A question for you guy's, I received the output Transformer and put it in, I decided to test it
tonight so I used the dim bulb test I went for a sixty watt bulb so I switched it on and the bulb
went dim, I did notice one thing the 5Y3 light's up for a few seconds and then goes dim but
gets warm the power tubes do light up. Does this seem right till I get it up to 120 volts?

A question for you guy's, I received the output Transformer and put it in, I decided to test it
tonight so I used the dim bulb test I went for a sixty watt bulb so I switched it on and the bulb
went dim, I did notice one thing the 5Y3 light's up for a few seconds and then goes dim but
gets warm the power tubes do light up. Does this seem right till I get it up to 120 volts?

Try this with the lights off, sometimes a 5Y3 doesn't glow very bright, hard to see it glow with lots of ambient light.

I use 250W incandescent photo floods in my dim bulb tester. That 60W bulb might not be sufficient.

Try this with the lights off, sometimes a 5Y3 doesn't glow very bright, hard to see it glow with lots of ambient light.

Your right thanks, it's very dim but it's on, I just moved the bulb and cupped my hands over the tube and it's lit.

Last edited:
New output transformer, by Classictone a lot less expensive than the ones made
by Mercury Magnetic's.
P1060294.JPG

Last edited:
New output transformer, by Classictone a lot less expensive than the ones made
by Mercury Magnetic's
View attachment 1010925
Might sound better with the old fender ot. Like someone said if it was for a two speaker fender , then it's 4K . With one 8 ohm speaker it will reflect 8 k ohm, which is correct and the extra beef will fatten the low end.

The way you wired the power cord is the correct way to do it.

I'd leave the dominoe tone cap. Those astron probably leak.

I just rebuilt a gibson ga40t , 1958, and I used the Mojo tone Dijon coupling caps , they sound great and vintage tone. I used a combination of F&T and Sprague electrolytics.

Last edited:
I'm worried about those Astron too we'll see what happens, I was thinking of getting
Jupiter capacitors. I'll try the Classictone for awhile to see how it sounds, thanks for the
info it will help.

Might sound better with the old fender ot. Like someone said if it was for a two speaker fender , then it's 4K . With one 8 ohm speaker it will reflect 8 k ohm, which is correct and the extra beef will fatten the low end.

The way you wired the power cord is the correct way to do it.

I'd leave the dominoe tone cap. Those astron probably leak.

I just rebuilt a gibson ga40t , 1958, and I used the Mojo tone Dijon coupling caps , they sound great and vintage tone. I used a combination of F&T and Sprague electrolytics.

I did try putting in the other ot put it would not fit to snug up against the speaker.

I'm worried about those Astron too we'll see what happens, I was thinking of getting
Jupiter capacitors. I'll try the Classictone for awhile to see how it sounds, thanks for the
info it will help.
The jupiter caps are great , I rebuilt an early Marshall jmp with those and the owner (a tone freak) was very happy .
They do cost a bit more than the mojo dijons .
It's hard to describe The classictone ot tranny sound , but most of my customers don't think it sounds like the original one . Maybe it's all in our head and everything sounds the same .

Okay I did a little test, I used the Bias calculator on the web and putting in the plate to cathode (6V6's)
voltage which was 340volts (plate to ground was higher at 359volts) and with a Bias resistor measuring
at 253 ohm and it dropping to 19.55v, the 6V6's are running at about 12.4 watts which I think is good.
So If I want to drop that down a bit I should raise the resistor a bit more right?

Last edited:
Leave ER B. Those voltages are good. If you measure the screen while your playing it will drop a lot.
Tweed deluxes appear to be running hot , but at those voltages your good and the tone is great. Fender always ran the current higher in cathode biased amps. But that's at idle.

The Webers are real nice and the p12q's sound a bit better than the p12r . My old 57' deluxe always had a p12q and it stomps every other 5e3 I ever heard with a p12r.

Thanks for getting back, I'm really surprised by the reading's I thought I would have to change
something to get them lower, I thought there would be redplating but nothing. I did have to take
the bell off the back of the speaker the one 6V6 and 6SC7 was to close to it and could not
change the tubes if need be in the future.

Don't forget the screen of the 6v6 is pulling current too. It can handle a couple of watts. When you measure the cathode current( voltage ) you are including the screen in those readings. And the screen voltage drops a lot under load, the plate voltage probably sags quite a bit too under load. you are not over dissipating the 6v6 and if your running anything newer most are rated at 14w anyway. find some RCA or Original Tungsols and you'll be in tonal nirvana.

I have a pair of RCA's and a few GE JAN, I'm using a pair of Conn tubes right now. I'll look into those Tungsols
Those are nice tubes.

Those conn organ tubes are great and may even be rca. Look for a number code on the base, I believe 274 is RCA.

I tried it out with a guitar tonight, I sounds nice but there's that hum the three 20uf Electrolytic's
have to be changed, I think I'm going for the Sprague's blue ones I know there $12.00 a pop but
there good otherwise plus there a strange metallic sound to the high E string have to figure that
don't know if it's those metal cans preamp tube will have to get a few more of those and see. Not
bad for a amp that hasn't been serviced since 1989 by Cesar Diaz.

Back
Top Bottom