I finally saw the real "Godzilla"

rolex452

NOT: "Godzilla, King of the Monsters" with Raymond Burr (1956), but the original Toho Pictures "Gojira/Godzilla" from 1954 with english subtitles. Its 15 minutes longer than the American version, with no Raymond Burr. Having seen the American version like twenty times over the years helped me understand and appreciate this original version so much more. Hooray for cable TV!

NOT: "Godzilla, King of the Monsters" with Raymond Burr (1956), but the original Toho Pictures "Gojira/Godzilla" from 1954 with english subtitles. Its 15 minutes longer than the American version, with no Raymond Burr. Having seen the American version like twenty times over the years helped me understand and appreciate this original version so much more. Hooray for cable TV!

This is also a rule with Anime. The Japanese version with subtitles, especially Fan subtitles is always the best.

Yes the original is better. One of the Starz channels has been putting on the Toho Godzilla films on in the original version with subtitles as needed. But have been burning DVD's as the movies have been on between 12 and 6 AM. Rodan , Mothra, Never know what I will find on. Can really appreciate the films now.

Godzilla vs the Sea Monster showcased the intersection of art film, surf culture, and LSD. It's one of my favorites -

(Watched this one with my son when he as 9 or 10, never seen him laugh so hard.)

There was a parody monster movie released in Japan. I have never seen it and I have not tried. Rectuma (2003). I guess it is another Japanese style gross out movie. Was looking it up and the story takes place in LA, not Tokyo even less of a modulation (???) say motivation, to see it.

FE3ABCA6-AA52-4C4D-9249-31CC579D8E9A.jpeg

Last edited:
Godzilla was a great, humorous film. There was another film where Godzilla protected
Tokyo from Mothra and another monster whose name I can't remember. It too was wonderfully humorous.

The Japanese have some really strange "monsters", and Kami's. the strangest one I am aware of is Shirime, also Nuppori-bōzu which translates out to "Butteye". You can look up a picture, Really strange.

Godzilla was a great, humorous film. There was another film where Godzilla protected
Tokyo from Mothra and another monster whose name I can't remember. It too was wonderfully humorous.

Possibly the best monster movie ever made. I understand not everyone knows the history and origins of Godzilla, but if you did, I don't believe you would consider a movie created as a metaphor of the fallout from nuclear bombs dropped on Japan humorous. http://www.thevintagenews.com/2018/01/17/original-godzilla-movie/

As a child, I had no knowledge of any metaphors. The rubber Godzilla in his human suit was silly looking and did make me and my friends laugh. It wasn't a serious movie to us.

My favorite old Sci-Fi/monster movie when I was kid was this epic:

Terrible effects, and sadly, the remake plans were abandoned with "life energy" being what the new device would extract.

Hey, George Jetson is in it!

Good movie. Have the DVD. Svengoolie had " Earth vs the Flying Saucers" on last night Another good one.

Back
Top Bottom