I guess it was my turn to get a lemon

beat_truck

Addicted Member
About a month and a half ago, I found a 91 F250 4x4 with the 351 Windsor for $2000. The body, frame and interior are pretty nice for the year and for living in the rust belt. It was advertised as having a clutch problem (wouldn't release), but it seemed to run fine except for a little bit of a cold rattle when it was started after it had been sitting (like a lot of older Fords do). After that it sounded good and carried good oil pressure. So I bought the truck and paid my uncle $100 + fuel to tow it to my house.

So, I pulled the trans and t case, and everything in the bell housing was junk. So, I ordered a new clutch, flywheel, slave cylinder, master cylinder, a and a new hydraulic line. I also ordered four new tires to a tune of $530.

I noticed the oil pan was kinda rusty so I ordered a new pan and gasket. I pulled the pan, which was a pain in the ass because I had to drop the exhaust and lift the engine about 6". Real nice. The bottom of the pan looked like someone dumped silver anti seize in it. Aluminum shaving city and some larger semi circular shards.:rant: So today I pulled the engine and pulled a random rod bearing cap, and sure enough the crank is grooved and the bearing was pitted and had some copper in the grooves showing.:(

On top of that I ruined the radiator (don't ask), and the rear driveshaft has some dents in it from what I would assume was a U joint letting go in the past.

So, now I am out of money to work on it and basically need an engine.:wtf:

I don't know what to do now.:dunno: I'm thinking about getting a remanufactured engine from Autozone, but there are a number of bad reviews on them and pretty much all other brands of remans all over different forums. I don't feel like going through the time, machine work and expense of rebuilding it myself, especially since I've never actually rebuilt a motor before.

So, yeah I just needed to vent. Sorry about the long read.

Seems like most of the people I know who have gotten reman old style engines recently have had trouble with them. One was a 302, it went in and the freeze plugs all leaked. Then it had one of the pistons crack the skirt off and damage a bore. The company paid for parts, but not labor. Another guy I know has blowby problems with his. Makes me think the only real solution is either a competent local machine shop, or a combination of that and your own labor to assemble. They aren't that hard. I've never done a 351, but I have done several 302's.

If the bores are decent, you can just throw a crank kit in there and roll with it. I'd seriously question the rest of the engine if the bottom end was that trashed though. Not many things will do that, but if it lost an oil pump drive shaft at some point it would explain it. If that happened the cam bearings would probably be wiped out too. The usual clue if the pan doesn't look like its been off recently is the clip on the shaft is missing and you can pull it from the distributor hole. They are supposed to have a clip in there on the bottom side that keeps the shaft from pulling out. That clip has to go if you drop it in from the top.

depending where you are, a few weeks ago there was a 1991 Vic with a 351 in EZ-Pull in New Ringgold. I pulled some brackets and such off it, but the engine was absolutely complete. Its a fairly lame 351, but it might be a cheap way out of this.

My folks purchased a new E150 van with a 351W in 1978. They drove it to 430K miles and only replaced a water pump (one time).

It sounds like the OPs truck would do okay with a crank kit. It would be a PITA to install with the motor still in the truck, but it could probably be done.

Sorry--have to do this--your moniker says it all--you bought a "beat truck". I worked for a farmer back in the day, and he bought brand new heaviest duty trucks every two years (and wrote them off), but when they were "done" they were only two years old with really low miles, but trust me, you didn't want one--the had 300K abuse on them in 3K miles.

My folks purchased a new E150 van with a 351W in 1978. They drove it to 430K miles and only replaced a water pump (one time).

It sounds like the OPs truck would do okay with a crank kit. It would be a PITA to install with the motor still in the truck, but it could probably be done.
I pulled the motor out yesterday.

After dealing with mine I feel for you. Here's what I can tell you when my 78 K10 was getting tired. I ordered some 350 heads from autozone, holy hell were they bad, you could tell they tried to weld cracks in the cast iron. Complete junk didn't even leave the store with them immediately got a refund. I wouldn't even think of ordering an engine from them.

Good advice above with a master kit rebuild or a junkyard engine. I ended up buying an engine from blueprint engines and it was a solid base model for like $3200. Great engine I was very happy with it.

I wish you the best, whatever you decide.

I've heard stories of people getting cheap reman V8 engines that needed 2 different spark plugs. Fords before the mid 70s used a fat spark plug, and a small one after that point. Mix and match a little and you get fat plugs on the right and small ones on the left.

I've heard stories of people getting cheap reman V8 engines that needed 2 different spark plugs. Fords before the mid 70s used a fat spark plug, and a small one after that point. Mix and match a little and you get fat plugs on the right and small ones on the left.

:rflmao::rflmao::rflmao:

pretty much what I did when I heard that. Same guy told me a story about a reman engine in something that had a constant vibration. At some point when the head gaskets let go he found out why. One cylinder had an oversize piston, the others were standard bore. Stories came from a friend who worked as a mechanic for a bunch of years in an area full of "thrifty" folks.

pretty much what I did when I heard that. Same guy told me a story about a reman engine in something that had a constant vibration. At some point when the head gaskets let go he found out why. One cylinder had an oversize piston, the others were standard bore. Stories came from a friend who worked as a mechanic for a bunch of years in an area full of "thrifty" folks.
Those are some of the horror stories I've read on other forums about parts store remans. The one guy said that he went through 3 remaned Chevy 350s in the warranty period. After the 3rd he decided to go another route.

I've pretty much ruled out a cheap reman as an option. I'm not going to spend $1300+ on an engine that will likely be a hodge-podged together piece of shit.

I'm backwoods...but I'd just drop a crank kit in. No plastigage...no nothing. Motor oil for assembly lube.

Put it back together. $450 gamble on a 'good' truck.

Clean the screen on the oil pick up.

I just came from the local junkyard I've been dealing with since I got my license. They quoted me $200 plus the old one for a core for a used engine. I think they give 30 days for a warranty. I'll probably go that route. I'll just pull the pan and look at it and if it looks ok, I'll just throw my new pan, gasket and rear main seal on it, drop it in, and hope for the best.:dunno:

Also, make sure you have a pilot bearing in the rear of the crank. If the 'new' motor came from a truck with an auto tranny, it won't have one.

I'm pretty sure a '92 351W has a roller pilot bearing. Don't use one that has black plastic parts to it. Look for an all metal one.

You have a new to you truck, so without knowing the complete condition or history. Going the used engine will hopefully allow you time to get acquainted with the truck.

Barney

Back
Top Bottom