I guess it was my turn to get a lemon

Discussion in 'Wheels, Wings, Mud, and Water' started by beat_truck, Sep 9, 2017.

1. gadget73

gadget73 junk junkie Subscriber

honestly the only remotely special heads on a 351 were the ones on a Ford Lightning from 93-95 but the chances of you finding that are low to non-existant. If you do, I want the intake manifold. Its not the same as the regular truck one, but it will clear the hood if I ever decide to put a 351 in the Lincoln. I already have a set of the 351-specific AC brackets needed for that. Frankly I'm unlikely to ever do it but if I can lay my hands on the goofy rare parts I have no issue putting them on the shelf just in case.

2. gadget73

gadget73 junk junkie Subscriber

they did not. The 302 also never got roller rocker arms. I've got a bag of them somewhere off my 1988 5.0 HO if you want them. The ones in that video are standard stamped steel arms, same ones they ran starting around 1975. The car engines got roller cams starting 1986, the trucks got roller cams somewhere around 1994. The first 351 roller cam block was also 1994, though you might find it in some late 1993 production. Same intake mounting from the 60s through the end of production.

Unless you're thinking Chevy. Starting in '87 when they went to the center bolt valve cover, the middle intake bolts ran it at a different enough angle that the EFI and carb manifolds don't interchange. Sometime in the mid 90s the middle bolts went away entirely. 94 maybe? Whenever they went to the Vortec head.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  3. BigElCat

BigElCat ^Since no one asked^ It's Reepicheep Subscriber

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  4. Oerets

Oerets AK Subscriber Subscriber

I you do decide to go with the used engine, make sure to check the compression. Or at least pull the plugs and check condition/color. Then I'd consider running a flush thru the oil system put new spark plugs and wires while it is out. Thermostat or any gaskets like value covers when it is easy to reach.
    But this is all mute if the yard does the work.

Barney

5. usedto

usedto Lunatic Member

How many of you remember this?

"Is your engine sick and tired,
    Want your car to run like new?
    Automotive Engineering
    Pleases millions, why not you?"

Damn, I'm getting old!

6. MaxxVolume

MaxxVolume Super Member

Several years back I was in a reman place in Jersey City, and noticed they were using a hand-held belt sander to surface the heads....ouch !