I have a pair of Sennheiser's 650 and I don't like them.

mac mini

I have a pair of Sennheiser's 650 and I don't like them. I bought them for myself on Christmas about 5 years ago and they just don't thrill me. They were a disappointment on Christmas day and haven't improved. The high end just isn't there. I'm using a Rotel preamp RC-1070 to power them. Its it the amplifier, the phones, or my 62 year old ears?

The HD-650's are the one pair I have left from my headphone phase - liked them over Hifiman HE-500's and Beyerdynamic DT-880 600ohms.

They are on the warmer/lusher side of the spectrum, but I never considered them rolled off. I use them with a Bottlehead Crack (tube OTL headphone amp). It's been a long time since I've used them though and I don't recall ever comparing the Crack to a basic HP out of a receiver to see how much of a difference there was.

And you are commenting about this after 5 years of ownership?
Yes, after 5 years of ownership I'm trying to understand why I don't like them. It's probably too late to return them. o_O Actually, I don't know if the store that I bought them from would have taken them back at the time of purchase. And they aren't bad so I've just lived with them.

650's are my go to headphones. Have you tried them with another source?
I run them using a mac mini, Gustard USB to SPDIF converter > Adcom GDA 600 > Rotel RC 1070 preamp. To your point of trying other sources about 4 years ago I auditioned a Harman Kardon HD 990, Yamaha S2000, and a NAD Master Series integrated amplifiers. The difference between the integrated amplifiers was night and day when connected to speakers. The Yamaha is supposed to a very good headphone section and it helped the 650's a bit. I ended up not buying any of them and instead bought speakers.

I am thinking of a new DAC, specifically a Benchmark. Are their headphone sections regarded highly?

With all the other quality headphones out there why not just sell the 650's and get something more to your liking.

That being said, I use HD-650's for a couple of hours almost every day and do not find them lacking.I can listen for hours and never had an issue listener fatigue or with the comfort. They do have a Cardas Blue Cable and I drive them with a Musical Fidelity X-Can V3.

Good Luck.

The HD-650's are the one pair I have left from my headphone phase - liked them over Hifiman HE-500's and Beyerdynamic DT-880 600ohms.

They are on the warmer/lusher side of the spectrum, but I never considered them rolled off....

General regard for the HD650's is high that's why I question is it me or is it my system. I'm thinking of a new DAC...

Re: Benchmark,

I have a DAC 1 & 2. I find the headphone amps to be spectacular. Saying that, I have not listened to other headphone amps in the same price range.

I use the older DAC 1 purely as a headphone amp/DAC. The DAC 2 is used in my study/listening room with a CD transport or with a USB cable to convert high res audio from my Mac.

GG

Last edited:
It is quite possible you have high frequency loss in your hearing. Have you had your hearing checked? Has your doctor checked your ears for wax build up? It is very common. Failing that, you could look for headphones that sound better to you. There could be nothing wrong with your ears. It's a known fact that everyone's ears are different. What sounds good to me may sound lousy to you.

The HD650 is a warm-ish HP.If youre wanting more high end energy I think your best bet would be a different HP rather than trying to make the HD650 into something it isnt by getting a bright amp or DAC.
You might want to look into the HD700(or 800 if budget permits),or you can go full blown bright and check out the Beyerdynamic T1.There is also the brand new HD660 which uses essentially the same HD700 driver with different implementation,but I havent personally heard it yet.

The HD650 is a highly regarded HP so you shouldnt have much trouble selling it and getting something brighter.

In my opinion, the 650 is plenty extended up top, it just isn't super prominent. The 600 has more air on the top end. PLENTY of headphones have a more prominent top end. The 650s were Sennheiser's attempt to make a top quality (within a reasonable budget) headphone that didn't feature too much top end.

That's my take anyway.

If you want top end, check out a Beyer 770 or 990. Scads of top end. Listen to those for six hours at a time, selecting overly bright recordings and see how that works out for you.

:p

Yes the 650 has a little dp above 9 KHZ as I remember where the 600, 700 and the 800 definitely do not. If you really like highs with low distortion you want electrostatic headphones, plenty of highs but that aren't irritating like the 800 Sennheiser. But then you may end up spending another magnitude in money,too. You don't have to, but you can.

I run them using a mac mini, Gustard USB to SPDIF converter > Adcom GDA 600 > Rotel RC 1070 preamp.
I am thinking of a new DAC
As long as your listening material is strictly 16/44.1 I would keep the GDA-600 myself.
That Adcom GDA-600 is a damn fine DAC,and IMO it'll be real hard to better it in the SQ department.
The GDA-600 has 2x PCM63 DACs in it,which are top notch multi-bit pieces.
That unit can easily go head2head against some VERY expensive modern DACs.

I'd try a different USB to SPDIF convertor before replacing the GDA-600,me I'd probably try something like the new Schiit Eitr.
And if I were still wanting to try out some other headphone amps,I'd be looking at dedicated headphone amps,and not a DAC/headamp combo.

As for the headphones,have you tried throwing some EQ at 'em yet ?
If yes what was the result ??

Me,I'm an AKG high impedance kinda guy (my #1 are AKG K240DF),so I needed ample power for those to sound their best.
I found what I was after with a NAD 106 preamp as it's headphone section can supply > 8V into 600ohms (that's a lot folks).
And my DAC is a Parasound D/AC-1000 which also uses 2x PCM63P-J DACs,so you can see why I said I'd keep that GDA-600.

Anyhow I guess what I'm getting at here is dont sell the GDA-600 till you're 100% sure you are gonna be happy with anything replacing it.
I'm just betting that beating/replacing the GDA-600 wont be as easy a task as you think it'll be,that's all.

Good luck here.

Bret P.

I have the 580's, a GDA-700 and a Schiit Valhalla2 headphone amp.
Very clear, smooth and even sounding once I got that headphone amp.

I would recommend a dedicated headphone amp with enough power to drive your cans.
Before I got the Valhalla2, I used a Grado headphone amp...not enough power to drive the high impedance 580's. The Valhalla has 2 output settings and is up to the task.

BTW, I don't listen at loud volumes, the Grado amp just wasn't up to the task at any volume..just not gutsy enough for my 580's.

Have owned mine for about 2 years and enjoy them.

Just purchased HD800 on sale and anxiously awaiting their arrival for comparison.

I'm 60 and considering the sennheiser 650 to use with my pioneer sa-9100 and directly from my TX-8100 and a Sony CD player from the early 90s. I'm hoping that it's the right choice, I'd spring for the new 660s but @ 150 ohms not sure if that's getting too low?

Back
Top Bottom