I have a question about my setup

Kalinin191

I have cerwin vega E-708 speakers which are rated at 8ohm or less and I have sherwood rx4508 receiver that is rated at 8-16ohm, I had them hooked up (only the cerwins) and the receiver blew up after 30minutes, I got a new receiver but I am afraid to hook it up.
I also have two vector research bass 12 subwoofers with the build in amplifier removed (one of the capacitor blew up on one of them) and have basic crossover hooked up so they work, I am not sure of the ohm of the bass 12's.
The stereo being a dual channel system can I run these speakers at the same time?
Sorry for being a newb, sorry for being canadian, sorry for being sorry

Your receiver blew up. What does that mean? Be more specific.
I was listening to music at a low to medium setting, no sine wave test or anything like that, then a loud pop happened and an a/c hum had replaced my music until I pulled the power.

No way to tell you for sure but I doudt the speakers caused your amplifier failure. It may have just been time.

The Sherwoods are very sensitive and really require a minimum of 8 ohms. If your CV speakers can go below 8 ohms you can damage the unit. Other blow factors can be playing music with the bass controls at max, playing at loud levels, not giving the unit room to breath.

I am not happy with taking a powered sub woofer with a blown amp and trying to use it directly. You have no idea what the impedance will be, and frankly, I would just try to get the amp fixed.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom