I have a system now!

Strebs

After a BOTL 80s plasticky receiver showed up DOA, my system got back on track. I found an Onkyo Integra A-8017 on eBay that was close by and pulled the trigger. It showed up today.

Also, my Toshiba Aurex SR-F451 turntable that has been taking forever in shipment showed up.

The Turntable somehow survived shipping. The tonearm wasn't taped down and was flopping around, and the platter wasn't removed but thankfully stayed in place.

Seller said it needed a belt so I had pre-purchased one and put it on. It spun right up and all functions seemed to work.

The Onkyo Integra has cosmetically seen better days. The faceplate is still good, but the top is pretty scratched up. Ill touch it up at some point. Everything seems to work except for some scratchy pots and some lights. The inside needs some serious cleaning and some Deoxit and Faderlube on the pots. I'll get to that next week.

I decided to try the turntable as it was setup with a crappy record. It popped, crackled, and growled really bad leaving me not sure if it was a turntable or receiver issue.

I started to setup the TT and when I got to aligning the cartridge, the previous owner had mounted a cartridge that was too long for the headshell. The service manual says the tip of the stylus needs to be 50mm from the end of the headshell. It was adjusted all the way forward but the end hit the headshell lip about 10mm too short. Fortunately, it was a nice MIJ AT100E with an AT stylus in decent shape and I happened to have a Technics style headshell that would work.

After installing it correctly, pure audio bliss through the Paradigm Atoms! I've been listening to laptop speakers, soundbars, and blue tooth speakers for too long!!

Last edited:
Have you blown the dust bunnies out of the Onkyo? May be a good idea to do so before you keep it as your regular player. Other than that, you have 80 wpc of magic for your ears.

Have you blown the dust bunnies out of the Onkyo? May be a good idea to do so before you keep it as your regular player. Other than that, you have 80 wpc of magic for your ears.

Not yet. I need to get some canned air. I'm going to give it a nice cleaning and Deoxit treatment soon. I'll replace the burnt out lights as well at a minimum.

If this is a long term system, I may recap too.

After a BOTL 80s plasticky receiver showed up DOA, my system got back on track. I found an Onkyo Integra A-8017 on eBay that was close by and pulled the trigger. It showed up today.

Also, my Toshiba Aurex SR-F451 turntable that has been taking forever in shipment showed up.

The Turntable somehow survived shipping. The tonearm wasn't taped down and was flopping around, and the platter wasn't removed but thankfully stayed in place.

Seller said it needed a belt so I had pre-purchased one and put it on. It spun right up and all functions seemed to work.

The Onkyo Integra has cosmetically seen better days. The faceplate is still good, but the top is pretty scratched up. Ill touch it up at some point. Everything seems to work except for some scratchy pots and some lights. The inside needs some serious cleaning and some Deoxit and Faderlube on the pots. I'll get to that next week.

I decided to try the turntable as it was setup with a crappy record. It popped, crackled, and growled really bad leaving me not sure if it was a turntable or receiver issue.

I started to setup the TT and when I got to aligning the cartridge, the previous owner had mounted a cartridge that was too long for the headshell. The service manual says the tip of the stylus needs to be 50mm from the end of the headshell. It was adjusted all the way forward but the end hit the headshell lip about 10mm too short. Fortunately, it was a nice MIJ AT100E with an AT stylus in decent shape and I happened to have a Technics style headshell that would work.

After installing it correctly, pure audio bliss through the Paradigm Atoms! I've been listening to laptop speakers, soundbars, and blue tooth speakers for too long!!
Onkyo Integra, Paradigm Atoms, and Toshiba/Aurex should make a nice system. I have Onkyo Integra gear, Toshiba gear, and Atoms and they are really nicely built and nice sounding gear. Of my ever revolving gear, none of that is going anywhere.

Onkyo Integra, Paradigm Atoms, and Toshiba/Aurex should make a nice system. I have Onkyo Integra gear, Toshiba gear, and Atoms and they are really nicely built and nice sounding gear. Of my ever revolving gear, none of that is going anywhere.

I'm pretty happy with this system. The turntable is working perfectly which is pretty amazing considering it was made 40 years ago. The receiver is awesome too.

Unfortunately, the Atoms are a bit poppy/farty at higher volumes. I think I'll order a new foam surround kit and see if that makes a difference.

I'm pretty happy with this system. The turntable is working perfectly which is pretty amazing considering it was made 40 years ago. The receiver is awesome too.

Unfortunately, the Atoms are a bit poppy/farty at higher volumes. I think I'll order a new foam surround kit and see if that makes a difference.
I had to refoam my Atoms (Version 1). Depending on which version they are, the foam may be 20+ years old and due for replacement. I recommend Simplyspeakers kits.

Let the obsessio
Congrats Streb! hope that you new A-8017 going well after to make a deep cleaning, I never had an Onkyo amps but I read many good comments of them, I was watching some pictures of the A-8017 black face and looks pretty good!
Let the obsession begin. Nice system.

Your system should sound pretty good...I upgraded my paradigms to the studio for more transparent sound and enjoying them...might want to consider that in the future if you get the upgrade bug again.

The system is evolving...

The Onkyo is amazing. I'm very happy with it and don't feel the need to upgrade. It sounds fantastic and does it's thing well every time I turn it on. I need to fix some burnt out lights on it though. The AUX and the power button LEDs don't light. While I'm in there I might just replace them all just so they match which is kind of petty but shouldn't take much work. I ordered a hundred LEDs for a few bucks. Hopefully, they will work with it. If not, I'm not out much and can source the correct ones.

I ordered some foam surrounds from China for the Paradigms, but they still aren't here yet. :( Needing some proper working speakers, I picked up a set of JBL L1s. I think they originally sold in 1992 for something like $750/pr. Anyway, they sound amazing to me! My non-audiophile ears are in absolute heaven.

The Toshiba turntable is really nice. I'm probably going to recap it and keep it as my backup turntable or for a system that plays scratched/less than pristine/thrift store albums. I have a Realistic LAB-440 on order. I'll get that one refurbished and use it as my primary most likely. Or who knows, maybe the Toshiba will be the primary and the Realistic the backup. I have choices now.

This hobby is addicting! I just need to fill my record collection with more of my favorites!

I also need to get another receiver for my second system. The Paradigms and whichever TT I like the least will go with that receiver.

Cheers!

The system is evolving...

The Onkyo is amazing. I'm very happy with it and don't feel the need to upgrade. It sounds fantastic and does it's thing well every time I turn it on. I need to fix some burnt out lights on it though. The AUX and the power button LEDs don't light. While I'm in there I might just replace them all just so they match which is kind of petty but shouldn't take much work. I ordered a hundred LEDs for a few bucks. Hopefully, they will work with it. If not, I'm not out much and can source the correct ones.

I ordered some foam surrounds from China for the Paradigms, but they still aren't here yet. :( Needing some proper working speakers, I picked up a set of JBL L1s. I think they originally sold in 1992 for something like $750/pr. Anyway, they sound amazing to me! My non-audiophile ears are in absolute heaven.

The Toshiba turntable is really nice. I'm probably going to recap it and keep it as my backup turntable or for a system that plays scratched/less than pristine/thrift store albums. I have a Realistic LAB-440 on order. I'll get that one refurbished and use it as my primary most likely. Or who knows, maybe the Toshiba will be the primary and the Realistic the backup. I have choices now.

This hobby is addicting! I just need to fill my record collection with more of my favorites!

I also need to get another receiver for my second system. The Paradigms and whichever TT I like the least will go with that receiver.

Cheers!
Most of the paradigm speakers I've encountered have butyl rubber surrounds.. just in case you could check
https://www.parts-express.com/
Or
www.Simplyspeakers.Com in case your purchase winds up not exactly what you thought

Interesting. Excuse my noobness, but would it make a lot of difference if I used foam rather than butyl? I don't envision keeping these speakers long term so longevity isn't an issue.
There's better informed people here.. hopefully they'll chime in..

It certainly can play a role in contributing to dampening cone movement - usually the materials selected work together as a whole so it might be wise to get the final word on this.

Interesting. Excuse my noobness, but would it make a lot of difference if I used foam rather than butyl? I don't envision keeping these speakers long term so longevity isn't an issue.

Just be certain thecenter cone is in the center when you glue on the new foam. As well clean off all the old foam and glue.

The LAB-440 came in today. It was advertised as "spins, no further testing" but it was really cheap. Anyway, it came with the original R1000 cartridge and a Shure 8x stylus. Unfortunately, the needle was hanging off of the stylus :( . Fortunately, I had a Radio Shack version of the Shure 75ej and a new Japan .3 x .7 elliptical stylus for my other TT that interchanged. I pulled the stylus from the other cartridge, installed it on the one that came with the LAB, crossed my fingers and turned it on. Wow, really good sound! The cartridge was aligned nicely.

This one has a couple of problems. Instead of shutting off after playing an album it just starts again. The repeat button is stuck. I'll open it up soon and see if it just needs cleaning or has a bad cap or something. The whole TT needs cleaning, so I'll get the gunk off of the outside and clean/oil the inside. Hopefully, I can fix it without having to source a replacement switch. The dust cover is also cracked and not attached to the hinges, but I'll try to make a new one when I get some time. The hinges are the metal ones and still on the unit.

If I can fix the switch, this is the one that will stay with my main system.

Back
Top Bottom