I just dont get it

BeatleFred, I couldn't agree more with your thoughts. Even though I'm not a big Stones fan, I'm not deaf... I realize they can play and wrote some great songs. Btw, what's your thoughts on being either a Beatle or Stones fan but not liking both equally? I suppose you'd beg to differ. They just seem to be opposites with different ideals.

As far as Dylan, I think he'll rank ahead of the Stones as far as importance. One of the greats. I also like the Doors, Zepplin and I'm a big Smiths fan, and Morrissey is one of the funniest's guy around, in a very morbid like of way ["the sun shines out of your behind", "some girls are bigger than others"].

MikE

In replay/agreement with most of Beatle Fred's comments.

The Beatles are without question the most important Band/artist in Rock & Roll history. The risks they took album to album with the continued success is absolutely staggering. I'm too young to have lived it but any serious study of Pop Culture demonstrates their standing. Sgt. Peppers changed the world, I have older friends with a conservative bent that recognize everything changed.

I too would put Dylan ahead of the Stones. Everything B/F says about Dylan rings true though I would encourage a deeper listen to his material from the last couple decades. I find it very enjoyable and icredibly witty.

And finally, since they have finally been mentioned, The Kinks are the most underrated band to have graced the planet. 30 years of quality music, great songwriting, and familial bickering gotta count for something!

Originally posted by moondog
Yeah Thor, but the 80's WAS total BS. :D ;)

Well ain't that funny I feel the same way about the 60's :D

Bully not sure but I think Boston was early 80's, early Melissa might have been late 80's early 90's, I have seen Melissa about 6 times in concert, she is my GF's favorite ;)

While I can appreciate everything written by BF and others I thought the thread was about bands or music you just don't get?

Not defend all your music that others don't get ;)

Damm glad I read BF's piece tho cuz it reminded that I forgot to put Zappa :puke: and Tull :puke: on my list :D

The whole point to I just don't get it is that you weren't there. I do not like most of the rock of the late 70s and all of the 80s and understand the homogonized pap today even less. But I ain't there. Music that shaped me, that I brought into my life, that was shared with friends,........well, I was there. I imagine that most of my friends from those days continued with rock as it changed, but I dropped out.
I left the place and friends and learned about Texas Outlaw Music, Fusion, Classical Jazz, Big Band and the great vocalists of jazz. Weather Report and Oregon and Ella and Billie. When I started to really get into audio I started to like the really big bands......... a full orchestra and have even gone to operas. Ah, Pucini! Wind orchestras playing Sousa. Tito Puentes and the Bosa Nova of Jobim. There is so much music out there!
I don't get lots of things and a lot of that is what has happened to music in the US over the last 30 years.
Salsa I get, rap makes me crazy. I like Pink but never liked Madonna. I kind of float around the edges of things cause I ain't there, I don't get it.
If you weren't there you might still like it, even be obsessed with it, but you don't get it unless it helped make you what you are now.

Hi Mike, while the Beatles & Stones sort've go hand-in-hand with me, I can see other people having a preference for one more so than the other, for example, my father (84 years old now) has always liked The Stones music more than The Beatles which were a bit too sweet-sounding for him, in his German accent he told me that he likes that rebellious "raw sound" more :smoke: , well ok then what can I say? :) A good friend of mine who is a bit more of a Stones fan, his father preferred The Beatle sound, so there you have it, I guess each individual just likes what they like. The Stones, well, their roots are more blues-influenced (Muddy Waters etc.) and they play their music with a looser-rhythmic feel, whereas The Fab Four- their recordings with producer George Martin at the helm have always had a polished-perfect sound, so much so, that its near-impossible for anyone else to do a cover version of their music without it falling far short of the original, after all, how can you top perfection? I become reminded of that when I go to the BeatleFest Convention in New Jersey every year and I see the Battle of the Bands event that they have there- I'll hear certain things played, and it'll strike me just how much I can appreciate the originality of what The Fab Four did when I hear others try and duplicate their songs. Usually- they can get the music parts over ok, but the singing- very few can sing anywhere near as well as John or Paul did when they wrote those classic songs. There is a substantial depth to the music of The Beatles which made them what they are, as opposed to say, The Monkees.
Unfortunately, later generations of kids who grew up in the mid 70's were under the misguided impression that for a song to "rock" it had to have loud, blaring guitars and so forth, they just cant comprehend that a song like "I Want To Hold Your Hand" actually does Rock hard but the Fab Four being so polished sounding, makes it deceiving on the ears.

By the way, let it be noted for the heavy metal dudes, and hair band music people out there, etc... that Gene Simmons of Kiss and Ozzy Osbourne are huge Beatles fans- mention The Beatles to them and they are :ntwrhty: As for Morrissey, well he actually happens to be one who is not much of a Beatles person. I think his ex partner, Johnny Marr was more of a big fan. Morrissey did actually recently release a cd of his fave tunes, I picked it up, didnt really do much for me. Apparently Morrissey idolized Marc Bolan, NY Dolls, the whole glam rock thing, I like some of it but I dont see Morrissey's fascination for it. By the way, Mike- have you picked up this book that came out recently, its excellent:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...2306494/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/102-4068701-7368906

As for Dylan, well he really stands on his own as an individual songwriter as opposed to being in a band like The Beatles & Stones, so perhaps its hard to assign him in a List of Greatest Bands. I'm sure no member of either group though would ever have any trouble acknowledging Dylan's greatness.

Regards,

B/F ("Open your mind, let the pictures come")

Thanks Fred

... for the tip on the book! Thor, it's to be expected that the thread would evolve into a debate of merit once someone dis'd a personal favorite. And when [if] we chose to mention a personal favorite [as opposed to just those we "don't get"] well, that too is open to discussion.

MikE

Well Thor... If your idea of music is just something you crank up at a party & hear a twiddly-diddly guitar solo in every song, then the 80's would be for you.

Obviously not all of us would agree. Some of us actually like lyrics that deal with subject matters other than woman, partying & other fluff that doesn't mean shit to a tree. Especially after you've hear the same 3 chords played behind those same lyrics over & over & over again.

There's a big difference in actually listening to music & just playing it, but if it makes you happy I say... Party on boy!

That's my story & I'm sticking to it. ;)
mOOn

BTW... Woman & Partying is something I know plenty about young-un'. I dont need a 3 chord rock anthem to tell me how to do either one the right way. :D

LISTEN & YOU MAY LEARN. :hdphones:

"If you weren't there you might still like it, even be obsessed with it, but you don't get it unless it helped make you what you are now."

That's why I like the 80's so much, it molded me into the pillar of society I am today! :D

I do like to dog on the sixties and seventies music mostly cuz I know I get a rise out moonie and the other hippies ;) (kidding) But I do like a lot more of it than I may like to admit and truely if I am in the mood I can enjoy a lot of it. Except for Zappa and death metal, and jazz I probably have 3 or 4 songs from every artist or music genre I dissed that are played regularly.

I am truley what moon describes someone, who plays music just for the fun and raw emotion of it, I would love to DJ parties!, and not someone who really listens. Though every once in a while while jamming and playing air guitar I may stop and cock my head and give a listen ;)

Party on Wayne, party on Garth :p:

Hey B/F, sorry but in my personal opinion The BeATLES were not the " Perfect' band. However, I have found some treasures by the lesser players. I honestly think George and Ringo came into their own after the break up. Ringo's,
"Photograph", and George's ." When We Were Fab" come to mind.

How about " My Guitar Gently Weeps". There are various others.

I'm not knocking the Beatles. They were on TV when you were 2 months old, I saw them when I was 13 years old. Trust me the world didn't
stop with the Beatles on the Ed show that night.

Actually, the Chicks were more interested in The DC5 and Herman's Hermits. Peter Noonan was the " Teen Beat" hero. It was the way it was.

Now if you want to talk about songwritting....

Yes,the Beatles wrote some great songs. I can think of a couple.

It is pretty common knowledge that the Beatles copied the Beach Boys. Of course they did the Isley Brothers first. The Peppers album was an answer to Pet Sounds. Then the Stones did their thing. It was pretty good.

Now, to Pink Floyd. They Wrote Albums not songs. If you would take the time to listen again to, " DSOTM", "ANIMALS", "WYWH","The Wall", you will discover the album experience all over again.

B/F, none of them are the BEST. Only in our minds.

I hope I didn't offend you.......

Regards,

Joe

I wondered when we would degrade to "My Band is better then your band."

Let's get this back on post:

I also HATE:

Madonna

almost all Post-SRV white boy blues

Kenny G type "jazz"

Joan Jett, Pat Benatar, Heart (finding a theme here)

Almost every cover of a Dylan tune

I challenge future posters to post only about real crap. Beatles, Pink Floyd etc arguements become ridiculous. I am subject to enough ridicule and ridiculousness in my daily affairs.

Actually, the world DID pretty much all tune in to the Beatles when they played on Ed Sullivan.
They flat out crushed everybody. Neither before nor since, has one group or individual dominated the pop music scene like they did.
They put the finishing touches on the revolution Elvis started, coopting the blues and gospel sound and making it acceptable to mainstreet America (hence the world, or that part of it that has money and matters).

Uh... what Bully said :)

I appreciate your concern Doc, but its quite alright, I am in no way offended. If everyone around me disliked The Beatles then I'd probably have to start wondering whats going on but thats certainly not the case.

I am well aware that Paul was (and continues to be) a huge admirer of Pet Sounds (as I am too) and likewise, Brian Wilson was in awe of the Fab Four.

As for the 'my band is better than your band' thing: The messages written before mine basically stated what each writer's preference was- they liked such and such music, but they dont like this & that music :blah: isnt that pretty much saying the same thing as the writer implying that he feels the music he likes is made by a group that he thinks is better than another, hmmmmm?

Beatles- Schmeetles :tongue:

BeatleFred:
When I read your earlier long post I thought "I couldn't agree more", but the kicker was when you mentioned obsure stuff like Fleetwood Mac's version of Farmers Daughter (gorgeous) and Buckingham's Law and Order (that record has personality!). The only version of Farmer's Daughter I know is from the LIVE double LP from 1980, is there another one? I also love the live version of Not that Funny. Another obscure gem is Dave Edmunds Twangin', it has a great version of Baby, Lets Play House...

Killer thread. I am really enjoying how everyone is getting along. Dingus, even though it may have turned a bit my band is better than your band, which is debatable, I think that in trying to explain why one band moves us or was such a big part of our lives that we all tend to put things in perspective in our own way. As the guys who were there seem to have a passion that those of us who were pelted with the first Pepsi says these guys are great so you should love them bands will never really get, I say to them, write on. I am learning quite a bit about how music was perceived back in the day, and I think that we are getting to know each other a bit better too. This thread has grown a life of it's own and it is a rare thing to think about a thread during the day and wonder how to respond, or have it cause you to stop and think a bit about how you are listening or enjoying the music.
I know you were just getting back to the thread topic so this isn't really directed at ya personally, I just am enjoying this thread, whichever direction it goes.
However, there is one unpardonable sin in the music forum.........Never, Ever, Ever, I mean Never Dis on Ann and Nancy...Sheesh..Heart, how could you. What did they ever do to you?:dunno: :D
I'm gonna go and spin a little vinyl Heart at loud volumes just to make myself feel better. ;)

Leestereo- Farmers Daughter- Yes, its the '80 live album that I'm referring to and I'm glad to hear someone else out there appreciates Lindsey's 'Law & Order' solo album- brings me back to '81 everytime I listen to it. (Joan Armatrading's 'Walk Under Ladders' was also another great album from that year). Dave Edmunds- Yes-sir, I dig him, (and Nick Lowe too), my fave D.E. album is 'Get it' , saw Dave when I went to see Ringo in concert back in '00, good show, hmmm.... I guess since Dave plays for Ringo's band, then Dave's gotta be a Beatles fan..., oooops, I just couldnt resist saying that :)

From a lyric website, I paste:

Song: The Farmers Daughter

I could come from miles away
Ain't got
No place to stay
Glad to
Help you plow your fields
Farmer's daughter

Might be
Just a couple of days
Clean up
Rest and on my way
Thank you
And I'm must obliged
Farmer's daughter

So long
Better leave your land
Many thanks
It was mighty grand
I do
Hope to see you again
Farmer's daughter

Oh oh
Farmer's daughter

Oh oh
Farmer's daughter

Regards,

B/F

Dingus, I agree, argueing about such groups as the Beatles may be ridiculous but "the debate" in general is not. I think you're missing a great opportunity when you do not share your favorites. I know that is not what the orginal posts concerned but it was inevitable the thread would move that direction. And as long as everyone doesn't take themselves [or anyone else] too seriously, it's all good.

MikE

Ok I stand corrected, as the Human Torch would say,

I never thought I'd see the day I got rightly accused of taking myself too seriously. I stand humbled, you guys are right.

As for Heart, yeah sorry, they are ok I'm just not big on most female rock bands from that era and couldn't think of any others.

The debate ultimately resides in our soul, our childhood, our life experience, our intelligence level (no insult to anyone intended), and our age.

Why do I respond to the Kinks more then Mozart? well my soul is caustic and enjoys a good laugh, my childhood is filled with pot smoke and dissapointment, my intelligence level is low enough to need words to fill in the blanks but high enough to catch Ray's jokes, and my age fits in with their modest popularity. Oh yeah and my brother bought Sleepwalker when I was 12.

Some music is better the others, some more influential then others (B/F simply can't be denied this one), and some just has damn good timing. The stuff that lasts 10, 100, or 1,000 years has something mystical in it, something that almost touches the divine. How each of of reach that is different so it makes sense that different music works its mystery on each of us. Music truly moves me to the point that I find it interesting I write this long about when I could have enjoyed another LP.

So to get back to the post topic. Why I hate certain music really fits in with all the above as well. I pretty much only dislike stuff (really dislike) from my era or after. I haven't seen Scott Joplin or Brahms on this list, but my guess is people hated them in their day too. I don't like stuff too simple and too complicated for my brain to grasp. Some jazz goes way over my head, people say it's good but I don't get it. Yet I like the VeggieTales tunes. Well that last comment pretty much says all you need to know about me...not the brightest bulb in the box.

But hey, I'm long-winded.

Why do I respond to the Kinks more then Mozart? well my soul is caustic and enjoys a good laugh, my childhood is filled with pot smoke and dissapointment, my intelligence level is low enough to need words to fill in the blanks but high enough to catch Ray's jokes, and my age fits in with their modest popularity. Oh yeah and my brother bought Sleepwalker when I was 12.
You're alright. Thanks for sharing. MikE

Back
Top Bottom