I just got a soundbar and I’m really enjoying it

Stock TV speakers are pretty terrible, and as the displays get thinner the speakers get worse it seems. The soundbar definitely makes sense if you don't want to get into a full surround rig and don't happen to have your 2 channel conveniently located to take on TV sound duty.

When flat screens still had front firing speakers it was not so bad but with 99% of them having down firing speakers a sound bar becomes a lot more attractive.

Any move away from internal flat panel TV speakers is a move in the right direction. Those things are atrocious. Harsh, indistinct and oddly unbalanced. For instance, starting an NBC show on Hulu when that paint splash and 7-note NBC audio theme blasts out, it is jarring. Then when the show starts, the dialogue is still too soft.

We don't keep a TV in the living room, just the family room in the basement and the bedroom. When my in-laws come over and we watch something I'll bring out the bedroom TV since my mother-in-law has mobility issues that make a trip to the basement more trouble than it's worth. In the larger room, even at almost full volume, the sound gets lost. I had an extra computer speaker plus mini-sub system lying around and hooked that up. It is SO much better. Even the dreaded NBC theme is evened out and no longer overwhelming.

Back when TVs had front facing speakers, they could sound decent if not good. My plasma had front speakers and I only used the surround sound for movies. When I got my 70" LCD with a thin bezel and rear speakers, I had to have the surround on almost all the time just to understand the dialog. A soundbar is basically just putting those front facing speakers back,

Back when TVs had front facing speakers, they could sound decent if not good. My plasma had front speakers and I only used the surround sound for movies. When I got my 70" LCD with a thin bezel and rear speakers, I had to have the surround on almost all the time just to understand the dialog. A soundbar is basically just putting those front facing speakers back,

This. TV "speakers" are probably intentionally worse than bad. A sound bar makes it sound better. That means, since soundbars are getting better but still no "hifi", soundbars get seen as "really good".
Funny how that works.

I just looked at some sound bars at best buy. I would suggest, If you budget permits to get one that has DD/DTS 3.1 sound or better. Many of them, Even the expensive ones ($1,000) are just 2.1 stereo, So there are few, If any options for improving dialog over the cheap TV speakers. In fact the TV speakers may do a better job than a stereo soundbar for dialog. But of course a poor job for anything else but news and perhaps talk shows. So even many stereo sound bar's are still likely a big improvement overall than the TV speakers.

For example My Samsung 32" LED TV has a clear dialog setting, Which ironically does fine job. Add to that tiny TV speakers that compress the background sounds/effects so much I can turn it way up without blasting me out of the house with the loud scenes.

With DD/DTS 3.1 we have isolated the center speaker where the dialog is sent. And we have options (like dialog lift, Dynamic range compression, and simply turning up the center channel) to clear up dialog for all scenes.

Last edited:
I just looked at some sound bars at best buy. I think the important thing here is to get one that has DD/DTS 3.1 sound or better. Many of them, Even the expensive ones ($1,000) are just 2.1 stereo, So there are few, If any options for improving dialog over the cheap TV speakers. In fact the TV speakers may do a better job than a stereo soundbar for dialog. But of course a poor job for anything else but news and perhaps talk shows.

For example My Samsung 32" LED TV has a clear dialog setting, Which ironically does fine job. Add to that tiny TV speakers that compress the background sounds/effects so much I can turn it way up without blasting me out of the house with the loud scenes.

With DD/DTS 3.1 we have isolated the center speaker where the dialog is sent. And we have options (like dialog lift, Dynamic range compression, and simply turning up the center channel) to clear up dialog for all scenes.
This seems like valuable information for somebody planning on spending money on one as opposed to accidentally winning one in a sales contest. Great post!

For all the flaws my flat panel TV's speakers have, understanding dialogue has never been one of the issues. It's like they're voiced for dialogue, and everything else sounds bleh.

For all the flaws my flat panel TV's speakers have, understanding dialogue has never been one of the issues. It's like they're voiced for dialogue, and everything else sounds bleh.

This has been my experience with flat panel TV's.

The HDTV I'm using now is a Sony tabletop LCD rear projection set (one of those that used to have the optical block meltdown). It actually has a 5" "subwoofer" in the rear of the cabinet, so the sound is actually fairly decent, and everything is intelligible. I figured I would lose that when going to a flat screen, hence the soundbar idea.

My problem is trying to keep the cost from creeping upward. You know how it goes. Start at $299. But wait, this model has feature x, and it's only $349. Oh, this one has better response and it's only $449...and pretty soon, one thing leads to another, and there I go with a $999 soundbar. :D

I just looked at some sound bars at best buy. I would suggest, If you budget permits to get one that has DD/DTS 3.1 sound or better. Many of them, Even the expensive ones ($1,000) are just 2.1 stereo, So there are few, If any options for improving dialog over the cheap TV speakers. In fact the TV speakers may do a better job than a stereo soundbar for dialog. But of course a poor job for anything else but news and perhaps talk shows. So even many stereo sound bar's are still likely a big improvement overall than the TV speakers.

Good suggestion. Being able to adjust the dynamics of the sound is a good idea. I hate the movies with rather soft dialog and loud sound effects and background music. Turn it up the hear what is being said and wham!, some loud a$$ noise has you jumping for the remote.

My wife and I have traditionally consumed TV through our computers. The centerpiece of our home entertainment has always been a two channel stereo and we didn’t even buy our first TV until six months ago. That TV though is pretty cool. It’s a Roku TV and it consolidates all of our streaming content through its OS. Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, HBO, YouTube, etc. Still though I had been sticking to my iPad and a pair of headphones to consume the shows and content that I watch on my own.

Then I won an LG soundbar through a sales contest at work. (They’re one of our vendors). It’s an SJ4Y-S. It’s connected to the TV via optical out and it has a little woofer that’s fed signal wirelessly.

I’m not a big consumer of TV but I do like certain shows and the soundbar is offering more volume, less shrillness, more definition to the sounds and overall more clarity. Even a decently recorded and produced YouTube video like an NPR Tinydesk concert sounds pretty good however I’d still prefer my dedicated headphone setup for something like that. I can’t argue with free. It’s hard to say it’s worth the $200 asking price when I didn’t really pay that out of pocket. I’m just hoping this doesn’t start a new dragon chase leading me into home theater. I have downsized my listening hobby to a headphone setup that I am very happy with. I really hope I’m not about to start down a new long and expensive road. I’m trying to save for a house here.

I too recently purchased one of the TV's with built-in Roku and so far it's great. We've cut the cord on DISH and now have Roku on 3 TV's. Added SlingTV to get a littel more typical content and a nicer Antenna to get locals.

The sound Bar thing is something I am starting to consider so I am glad you are giving the notion a thumbs up. I just listened to one of Steve Guttenberg's YouTube videos about best gear of 2017 and he had a Vizio sound bar in there! shocked me enough into thinking I might need to check it out. Also, my dad at 78 has crappy hearing loss so it's a must for him.

The TV manufacturers limit the speaker quality on many models to keep costs down. Be better to just go with a monitor and add your own speaker/sound bar system maybe.

Good suggestion. Being able to adjust the dynamics of the sound is a good idea. I hate the movies with rather soft dialog and loud sound effects and background music. Turn it up the hear what is being said and wham!, some loud a$$ noise has you jumping for the remote.

Even my cheapie from Best Buy has three different sound modes: Surround, Normal and News. Surround fakes surround pretty decently, normal is, you guessed it, pretty normal. And News really pushes dialog to the front. We leave it on normal and it works great. I think we paid $70 on sale for it.

my dad at 78 has crappy hearing loss so it's a must for him.
My uncle is deaf in one ear and has fairly limited hearing in the other, both due to medical issues. He uses wireless headphones to watch TV with so the entire neighborhood doesn't have to deal with it. Might be worth considering.

My uncle is deaf in one ear and has fairly limited hearing in the other, both due to medical issues. He uses wireless headphones to watch TV with so the entire neighborhood doesn't have to deal with it. Might be worth considering.

Thanks. He simply needs to go get hearing aids. His excuse thus far has been spending money on other ailments, but I tend to think hearing loss is having a big impact on quality of life for him. He is often not engaged in conversation etc because he cant hear what's going on. Plus it's a pain to repeat everything! :(

Even with her hearing aids my mother was blasting her TV. I gave her a pair of K240 Studio headphones and a thirty foot cable. She’s been using them religiously without complaint. And if she was going to complain about them trust me she would have. If not to me then to my wife.

I use a Samsung soundbar on one of my PCs; worked out well enough that I built sort of a backboard stand to raise it up above the monitor. But with more audio options in my home office area lately, I may move to receiver and speakers. The soundbar does simplify setup, and is far more stable than the powered computer speakers I've had; last pair (Creative Labs) started smoking and I threw em out the back door.

No soundbars for me. I'd rather eat my own head.:)

I can see why people do them however, particularly in bedrooms etc, but we have one TV only in our house, in the loungreoom and that's enough. It gets proper amplifiers, D/As and decent floorstanding speakers for movies and TV.

No soundbars for me. I'd rather eat my own head.:)

I can see why people do them however, particularly in bedrooms etc, but we have one TV only in our house, in the loungreoom and that's enough. It gets proper amplifiers, D/As and decent floorstanding speakers for movies and TV.
I feel the same way... and I do get it, kind of like buying an all in one unit for the den... cassette, eight track, changer, tuner... a 'compact'... and Sony and Pioneer made some decent ones... but I have to have a 'system' of some kind for what ever I'm listening to except maybe am radio. It's just me I suppose, having a long running affair with audio, but to me a sound bar is so 'Tee Vee'... I can't get past it.

When I bought my Sony I bought mine, Harmon Kardon. The T.V. I purchased was the one below their flagship and having doing my research I knew my TV was exactly the same picture wise but the flagship had 4 more speakers and different sound modes at 1000.00 more. My soundbar was 300 and came with a small sub woofer and I can run it with the TV speakers. Movies sound uber,I'm sure it isn't state of the art for Home Theatre enthusiast but for my movie viewing I'm happy.

Back
Top Bottom