I Mac as a music server on a wireless network?

Not sure you need it with current MacOS, but you are running an old version of OSX, so your drive may be in a format that your computer can't use.

One thing about macs is they don't guide you around. Like if some hardware doesn't work a pop up show saying CAN"T LoL, Windows will say would you like to go online and look for the diver for that?

Jim Go online and see if there is a "driver" you need for the stand alone hard drive you have, that you install in the iMac. Then if there is, the iMac can recognize what's being plugged in to it and go from there.

The I Mac runs OS-X 10.4.11 and is a duo-core processor with 2mb of Ram. thanks for all the comments and thoughts so far.

Ok I see your mac is pretty old this is the Apple Rosetta system and your systems name is Tiger the last update you can do I'm pretty sure.

Tips on 10.2 Jaguar, 10.3 Panther, 10.4 Tiger (10.4.4 is the beginning for some Intel Macs. On PowerPC Macs 10.4.11 is the end of Classic's compatibility),

Jim Apple switched and I don't think you can up date out of Rosetta to any of these OS and most are very old as far as computer OS go. I have three mid 2011 27" iMac, Lion came out mid 2010, I kept one Lion, and two are running El Capitan.
10.5 Leopard, 10.6 Snow Leopard, 10.7 Lion, 10.8 Mountain Lion and 10.9 Mavericks, 10.10 Yosemite, 10.11 El Capitan.

I'll do some reading here Classic's compatibility and see if I can think of something for you.

Need the name, model and age of your stand alone hard drive.

Ok I see your mac is pretty old this is the Apple Rosetta system and your systems name is Tiger the last update you can do I'm pretty sure.

Tips on 10.2 Jaguar, 10.3 Panther, 10.4 Tiger (10.4.4 is the beginning for some Intel Macs. On PowerPC Macs 10.4.11 is the end of Classic's compatibility),

Jim Apple switched and I don't think you can up date out of Rosetta to any of these OS and most are very old as far as computer OS go. I have three mid 2011 27" iMac, Lion came out mid 2010, I kept one Lion, and two are running El Capitan.
10.5 Leopard, 10.6 Snow Leopard, 10.7 Lion, 10.8 Mountain Lion and 10.9 Mavericks, 10.10 Yosemite, 10.11 El Capitan.

I'll do some reading here Classic's compatibility and see if I can think of something for you.

Need the name, model and age of your stand alone hard drive.
My iMac is 2011, as well. I run it off of thunderbolt so I can run SSD speeds. It still gets updates (running Sierra now), but I bet we will be left out of updates soon. I updated the RAM myself, which was easy on this version of the iMac.

My iMac is 2011, as well. I run it off of thunderbolt so I can run SSD speeds. It still gets updates (running Sierra now), but I bet we will be left out of updates soon. I updated the RAM myself, which was easy on this version of the iMac.
My first one was TOTL with the SSD and 1 Terabyte HDD and 3.4 GHz i7 back then, I never wanted to mess with it on updates as I was reading horor stories back then. I'll most likely update soon.

My first one was TOTL with the SSD and 1 Terabyte HDD and 3.4 GHz i7 back then, I never wanted to mess with it on updates as I was reading horor stories back then. I'll most likely update soon.
I didn't open it up. I have a Seagate thunderbolt adapter with an SSD attached. It might be slightly slower than a direct internal connection, but it is still a lot faster than the spinning drives. The upside is that if the new Macs are backward compatible with thunderbolt, I can continue to use these drives with the new machines.

I got a MBP in 2011, as well. I plan to update it when the new models come out later this month. I may update the iMac next year, but I am still on the fence about it. The iMac still runs great, so I don't feel a pressing need yet.

Here is a pic of the thunderbolt adapter (this is not the boot drive, I have a ~terabyte sized SSD). They can daisy chain, so I have a few of them (bought them when they were on sale)

3404779_orig.jpg

Thanks everyone, I'll start reading asap
Regards,
Jim

I got a MBP in 2011, as well. I plan to update it when the new models come out later this month. I may update the iMac next year, but I am still on the fence about it. The iMac still runs great, so I don't feel a pressing need yet.

I was thinking on updating all my mac stuff this year. I bought the fist one in 2011, then a gen 3 pad, and iPone 5. My first iMac I bought new, about two years ago I bought a used mid 2011, then the graphics card went out (1st one), had it fixed a year later the screen didn't work. I just let it sit and used my second one. The second ones screen went out so I found another one on CL, and mentioned to the guy that I had two dead computers. He asked if I wanted to trade them in for a $100 a piece towards the one he had, I said I'll get them fix, or really start looking at the TOTL iMac's thats about $3800+.

Anyway I found out he's a certified mac tech and fixes computers on the side. So I bought his at $700, my first one he repaired the screen for $100, the second one I had, needed a G card $400.
He took one at a time and had them back in 24 hours, he cleaned them all up and made them snappy. So I think I did good getting them all fixed, there's no way they will all have a problem at the same time. I have a very nice network in the house now so no need for any new iMac's now. In fact my iPhone 5 is fine and I think I'lll just get a new battery for it.

I was thinking on updating all my mac stuff this year. I bought the fist one in 2011, then a gen 3 pad, and iPone 5. My first iMac I bought new, about two years ago I bought a used mid 2011, then the graphics card went out (1st one), had it fixed a year later the screen didn't work. I just let it sit and used my second one. The second ones screen went out so I found another one on CL, and mentioned to the guy that I had two dead computers. He asked if I wanted to trade them in for a $100 a piece towards the one he had, I said I'll get them fix, or really start looking at the TOTL iMac's thats about $3800+.

Anyway I found out he's a certified mac tech and fixes computers on the side. So I bought his at $700, my first one he repaired the screen for $100, the second one I had, needed a G card $400.
He took one at a time and had them back in 24 hours, he cleaned them all up and made them snappy. So I think I did good getting them all fixed, there's no way they will all have a problem at the same time. I have a very nice network in the house now so no need for any new iMac's now. In fact my iPhone 5 is fine and I think I'lll just get a new battery for it.
I had a graphics card issue on my 2011 MBP last year and Apple fixed it for free. I haven't had the issue with my iMac (knock on wood). Seems that 2011 was a bad year for the graphics card.

I use my iPad more than my computers, which is why I haven't updated them in the past 5 years.

Sorry guys - been in Richmond for family visit & the Scottish festival. Sounds like pretty old mac gear - not hopeless, but def some work needed to get the best of it . Tiger era , eh? More info when I get back!

In "About this Mac", What are the exact specs. From your description, it could be anything from 2005 to 2007-2008.

Is it white or aluminium? Core Duo or Core 2 Duo? This last one makes a lot of difference on OS support.

Back
Top Bottom