I Need Help Choosing a Used Yamaha Receiver for Boston Acoustics T830 Speakers!!

terapin

(cain't spel)
I need a good used Yamaha receiver to drive a pair of T830 speakers, but I don’t know which models would best suit my needs. I would like to get a Yamaha because I had a pair of T830s back in the mid 1990s, had them paired with a Yamaha receiver, and liked the sound of that combination. So here are the specifics:

T830 Speaker Specs:
*3-way, un-ported towers
*88dB sensitivity
*Stated power requirement of 15 to 100 Watts.

My Requirements:
*Two channels (don’t need video)
*Two line-level inputs (for a cdp & an external phono stage)
*A tape record & playback loop
*A 75 ohm FM coax connection for an external antennae.
*Hopefully, no more than $100 (plus s/h)

Preferred But Not Absolutely Necessary:
*Banana speaker terminals. (maybe a requirement: I have lots of RFI/EMR in my area, & I already have cables w/ bananas)
*A built in phono stage (in addition to the required 2 line-level inputs)
*35 amps or more @ 8 ohms (less than 35 amps just seems low to me.)

I prefer a more "monitor” sound as opposed to something “warm,” but, of course, I don’t want a system that sounds brittle or thin at higher frequencies. I only play LPs & CDs, and mostly listen to Jazz, & Blues (acoustic rural & electric Chicago R&B).

My friend will not be sending me the speakers for another month, so I have time to look for something reasonably priced. Can anyone recommend models that would best fit the bill? I would guess the best models to choose would be from the CR, R, or RX series, but, truth be known, I’m ignorant of Yamaha receiver models! I know there’s a community here on AK that likes Yamaha--& I hope one that likes T830s, too--and I would appreciate hearing your opinions on what I might like best. Thanks, Peter

I don't know why you list a coaxial connection as a requirement for your receiver. It's not like a 75 ohm to 75 ohm balun screws up reception.

I've heard the Yamaha RX-350 (@ 35 or 40 watts per side); they sound good with the T830. The Yamaha RX-700 (85 watts per side @ 8 ohms) is another receiver I can recommend. I don't have experience with the CR series. If lucky, you may find yamaha seperates at or near the limit of your budget. Happy hunting.

I have a CR-800 which may fit your requirements. I think about 45 watts. inputs for 2 tape decks, aux, 2 phono inputs, but not sure of why you need an external phono stage. Classic Natural Sound.

It doesn't have a 75ohm threaded coax input plug but it can be fitted for a 75ohm (unbal terminal) cable. I just use one of those 75/300ohm converter/adapter thingies if I use an antenna with a coax plug. Excellent tuner picks up stations without an antenna.

I have a RX-V630 but like many modern HT receivers it does not have phono input and needs an antenna to pick up any stations well. This is an audio video receiver and would be wasted for a music set up.

R series has co-ax in native on the back. I had a R700 running my Bostons and it was very sweet. Ran as my vinyl test play rig for a year while my HH Scott was in the shop. If I had my druthers, I'd opt for the R900 or R1000 as they have advanced phono features like selectable capacitance for the cartridge, etc. Anything from the R700 up will make all the power you will likely ever use unless your living room is over 6~700 sq feet or has high ceilings? If so, step right up to the R900, R1000, or the REALLY hard to find R2000.

PM Merrylander for what to look for on these units as parts are scarce, so you want to know exactly what you are getting before you toss down your $$.

I REALLY appreciate everyone’s responses! Michael, I didn’t know about a 75 ohm to 75 ohm balun; I’ll look for one. It would be slick if it had a female F-connector on the input side, and an output that would mate directly to the Yamaha. A few more questions:

If there are provisions for 2 tape decks and I only have one deck, would there be any problem with using the 2nd set of tape playback inputs as an additional aux input? Could I then just select tape 2 playback in the same way I would select Aux?

Is the term “Natural Sound” just a marketing phrase, or does it refer to a specific technology that Yamaha uses? I’m wondering if there are earlier Yamahas that don’t have “Natural sound” and sound substantially different?

Also, can anyone comment on either the RX-495 or RX-595? They both seem to accept banana plugs, and I see them for sale regularly at reasonable prices.

Thanks, Peter

75-300Ω balun (matching transformer) . Probably pick one up at ratshack or wallyworld,lowes.homedepot etc. for a couple bucks.Should be able to find in the A/V department where ever they display the coaxial cable. These are/were used for TV/UHF/VHF/FM

Attachments

• 75-300 ohm  balun.JPG
    75-300 ohm balun.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 9
Natural sound is Yamaha's sound. Of course it is not natural in the sense that the band is in your living room, but it is good clean un-colored amplification.

Compared to other receivers in my modest collection, it is not as dry and edgy as the Mitsubishi, nor as warm and tube like as the MCS 3245. It's just good clean low distortion power.

Think of Yamaha's 'Natural SOund' as a wire with gain. The 75 ohm connectors on Yammies varied; up until the CR-n40 series you needed to stip the end of the cable so that the shield clamped under a U shaped bracket and the centre conductor was wrapped around a screw. A simple adapter that does not introduce the loss of a balun is to make a short piece of 75 ohm with a male F-type connector and the other end under the bracket on the receiver. They did this because NorAm and Europe could not agree on a common connector. The CR-n40s came with a special connector and an appropriate adapter cable fro the country. They generally get lost as I have only ever seen one. When ever I restore a CR-n40 I usually drill out the connector and install an F-type connector.

Thanks Broc and Merrylander for the additional informatin. It's greatly appreciated. Peter

*3-way, un-ported towers
*88dB sensitivity
*Stated power requirement of 15 to 100 Watts.

My T830's are 90db/w/m, it's printed right on them at the top of the speaker behind the grill. I am currently driving them with a 6BQ5 PP tube amp, max power output of 17 wpc. They sound fine, but I am running them with a Velodyne sub which takes a lot of the power-handling requirement away from the main amp. When I turn up the volume all the way (I am also using an active preamp) it's loud, but not painfully so... you can still yell over the music and be heard. The sound on classical/acoustic/vocals is fantastic at mid-volumes, clear, concise, musical.

I also drive these speakers with a H/K PM-650 which is 50wpc and is a high-current amplifier. This will drive them to higher volume levels, and if you like listening to loud rock 'n roll the sound is definitely better in that the bass is tighter and there's just more presence to the music. I cannot turn the volume past about 12 o'clock without fear of damaging the speakers. With the sub in the loop, my windows are shaking and dishes rattling in the cabinets at this volume. My pets and children are scared.

The best I've heard these speakers sound when played loudly was with a JVC RX-something, an STK-based receiver rated at 85wpc. I really didn't like the way this cheap amp colored the sound at lower volumes, but boy, she'd pump out that hit-you-in-the-stomach mid-bass.

I find these speakers very neutral-sounding, which is why I've held on to them (I am the original owner), but they image poorly and the soundstage is virtually non-existent no matter which amp is used. I've got them in my downstairs HT room and they're great for that.

My T830's are 90db/w/m, it's printed right on them at the top of the speaker behind the grill...With the sub in the loop, my windows are shaking and dishes rattling in the cabinets at this volume. My pets and children are scared...
Thanks for giving me the correct sensitivity. Your impression of the t830s is precisely my own. Neutral sounding but poor soundstage. I loved them for their neutrality. Unfortunately it looks like my friend may not move, and if she doesn't she'll keep the speakers. God I hope she takes that damn job!

I can just imagine your pets running under the sofa with your kids in hot pursuit as you crank the volume up. Thanks for the laugh! (I needed it.)

I like your avatar. Haven't listened to that album in years but pulled it out last night, blew the dust off the turntable, and cranked it up.

Dave

Hallelujah!

Lady Luck has finally smiled on this poor undeserving wretch! I just found a pair of t830s for $100. I'm listening to them now, and they sound just as I remembered them: nice, nice, & nice... :yes: Now I don't have worry about whether my friend takes that job offer or not. What a relief that is.

The Terapin is now free to turn his fully-scattered-attention to a Yamaha receiver. I was thinking that having terminals that would accept banana plugs/spades was essential, but now I don't think that's so important. We grow, we change...

I wonder, were the R and/or CR receivers been better built than the RXs? And do the R and CR receivers have the same basic "Natural Sound" as the RX series do, or were the older ones a bit warmer? :scratch2: If anyone can enlighten me, I would be thankful. Peter :D

PS And can anyone comment on the build quality of the RX-495 and RX-595 receivers? Again, thanks.

Yamaha RX-750, 550 500u, 450, 770, 330, 530, 730, 1050, 700u

Basically, wattage goes up as first number increases, the second number (third after first number becomes 10 [100 watts plus]) is usually a chronological progression of year.

Some nice choices presented already. Have a look at RX-777 which has all that you are looking for plus remote control and 100 wpc. The RX-777 has the TOP-ART amp section was has seen duty in a succession of receivers and integrateds including today's generation.

Thread was started 10 years ago...just sayin'
He might have found something by now.

I love my BA T830s! I reformed them and upgraded the crossover. Fantastic.

I drive mine with a Sony TA F700ES integrated. Excellent sound! Use a sub crossed at 50hz and they’re very impressive!

Back
Top Bottom