I need to ship a receiver. should I pay fed ex and cover myself or risk with my own packing?

Discussion in 'Packing & Shipping' started by gentlejax, Mar 1, 2017.

1. MaxxVolume

MaxxVolume Super Member

Another good source of free packing material is to strike up a conversation with some carpet installers. The scrap foam padding that they usually have left over after a job works well for in between the inner and outer boxes.

2. jdcarlson

jdcarlson Not Good Enough for Jazz Subscriber

None of the shipping companies know how to properly ship heavy electronics (such as McIntosh). Spend the $100 for a shipping crate from Audio Classics. Theirs are better than the factory crates. I bought a McIntosh MC22205 that the seller took to a "professional" shipper to crate up and send to me. They tried to ship an 80 pound McIntosh amp INSIDE the walnut case. I refused to accept delivery because of damage in shipping. The case was broken, the glass was shattered, and everything else was a pure mess.

3. simplynuts

simplynuts Active Member

I collect styrofoam that people throw out and use it all around anything I ship. No problems with speakers, turntable covers or receivers. I want to sell a few dual turntables, but nervous on how to pack and ship them.Might decide on pick up only.

4. SoCal Sam

SoCal Sam Lunatic Member

That's the way to do it. Medium density styrofoam from furniture stores is ideal.

5. KevinCorr

KevinCorr AK Subscriber Subscriber

I doubt if any FedEx employees even know what a receiver is.